• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

should i wear a suit everyday?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spider52
Why would you think? It's not uncommon at real business schools to see the guys dressed up in suits or sport coats.

They wear suits and sportcoats to class to sit in lecture halls and class rooms? Are you talking undergrad or Grad school? Do the schools have a dress code they expect the students to live up to?

jbmarine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spider52
Why would you think? It's not uncommon at real business schools to see the guys dressed up in suits or sport coats.

That's business SCHOOL.... Not an undergraduate business major.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LoneSuitin DTW
Business majors wear suits to class? Why is that?
Many business schools require it of their students. Sometimes specific business classes will require it of undergrads as well. And sometimes undergrads will just try to look good for the business school they're applying to. The operative word there being "try." Around here, you can always tell a business major just by looking for ill-fitting black DKNY suits.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you want... play adult for a day and wear the nice suit on a date in the city.... like a museum or just walking around. that way if you indeed look like the anti hobo sinatra you may be able to have some fun... hit the bars and hook up.

since you want to project something like an image where you want to wear a suit everyday you need to try it in a nice environment where its conducive to positive things happening...

this is the same thing that some med students would do in med school... walk around in in their scrubs and look like a "dr. from a hard duty"... before you know it you are talking to some girl who's asking what kind of dr you are ect... and it makes for easy pickings with the ladies... lol

but if you want to do it in HS... well you know what will likely happen so don't be angry and surprised/offended if you get grief over it.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
Many business schools require it of their students. Sometimes specific business classes will require it of undergrads as well. And sometimes undergrads will just try to look good for the business school they're applying to. The operative word there being "try."

Around here, you can always tell a business major just by looking for ill-fitting black DKNY suits.

LOL@ black DKNY suit. That is so true. I used to work at a mall in a college town and you could tell when the business guys and the law guys were interviewing. They all came in looking for suits and almost all of them wanted a black suit. It seemed they were more interested in looking cool than projecting a business image.

Back to the original topic of this thread. Don't wear a suit to school. You will be mocked mercilessly to your face and definitely mocked behind your back. Save the suits for church or special events. Even once you get to college wearing a suit everyday would be a big stretch.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kids can be so cruel . . .

kid_scipio

Reaction score
You should instead spend your time and money taking mixed martial arts classes with jiu jitsu and muay thai kickboxing, as well as american wrestling. In your free time you should watch the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

This will allow you to wear affliction shirts to high school and also become a bully. Chicks love bullies and dudes who wear affliction shirts. do it.

tinffx

Reaction score
I had to wear a uniform to school. It included a tie. Only time I wore a suit was prom & graduation. You would be no better off wearing a suit to public school than you would be wearing a speedo to a wedding.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sarcasticfolly
If I could have afforded it, I would have, but I'm also a virgin and wear blazers to college classes regularly.

FTFY

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts here:

My stepson is a business major. He has never, ever worn a suit to class although he does wear them with some frequency to his fraternity events.

I went to prep school over a half century ago. We wore coat and tie to chapel and dinner, but not to classes during the day.

Wearing suit daily to a typical American high school would seem highly eccentric to say the least. Even a sport coat with an open-necked sports shirt would still seem kind of high-end but perhaps more realistic.

However, who am I to speak, since I'm the only one who routinely wears coat and tie to my office? I always way outdress the president of the company and the other higher-ups.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LoneSuitin DTW
They wear suits and sportcoats to class to sit in lecture halls and class rooms? Are you talking undergrad or Grad school? Do the schools have a dress code they expect the students to live up to?

It's pretty common to have at least a few students in a class working. You don't leave work get changed then go to class.

XeF4

Reaction score
This sounds like the best idea ever. Make sure the suits are all at least 3 sizes too big so that you can grow into them.

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
It's pretty common to have at least a few students in a class working. You don't leave work get changed then go to class.

+1. That was me in my junior and senior year in college. I had to rush from my job to the classroom. Most of the time, I wouldn't even get a chance to eat something. So, on the rare occassion that traffic cooperated and I had some extra time, I certainly wasn't going to waste it changing clothes.

When I had morning/early afternoon classes, I didn't see too many "suits" roaming the campus. However, during late afternoon and evening classes, suits on men and women were pretty common.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads