• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

should i wear a suit everyday?

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do it. I'd love to see what social ostracization can do you.

Columbine anyone?

Oligarch

Reaction score
Are you trying to make a statement of confidence, individuality, etc? If so, why are you asking others what they think?

If you want to know if its appropriate, I think not. I also think the notion in one of the posts above that purposely subjecting yourself to ridicule is character-building is absurd. There are plenty of tough experiences in life without you having to purposely create them.

Max Inseam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oligarch
Are you trying to make a statement of confidence, individuality, etc? If so, why are you asking others what they think?

If you want to know if its appropriate, I think not. I also think the notion in one of the posts above that purposely subjecting yourself to ridicule is character-building is absurd. There are plenty of tough experiences in life without you having to purposely create them.

+1. Having character means doing the right thing, even if that may mean being subjected to ridicule, not intentionally doing the wrong thing for the sake of ridicule. Being a character, on the other hand ....

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if I was not clear. I was not suggesting subjecting yourself to ridicule as a way of building character. All I was saying is, If you like something and it feels natural, you will have those who will ridicule you because of their insecurities. I was trying to say it is important to keep doing what you feel is right and true to yourself, the obstacles you encounter and the the way you deal with them are the experiences that build character.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yllilevad9119
Hi, im a 17 year old guy going into his senior year of high school and i would really like to wear a classy suit everyday. but im afraid some people may get jealous or it may seam that i think im something else. and by the way when i wear a suit i make sinatra look like a hobo. that being said to me wearing a suit is like wearing armor. what would you think if u were in hs and someone did this ?
What does it take to be number one? Two is not a winner and three nobody remembers (hey)

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi, im a 17 year old guy going into his senior year of high school and i would really like to wear a classy suit everyday. but im afraid some people may get jealous or it may seam that i think im something else. and by the way when i wear a suit i make sinatra look like a hobo. that being said to me wearing a suit is like wearing armor. what would you think if u were in hs and someone did this ?

No. Be a 17 year old kid and dress casually. Wearing a suit everyday will make you look like a fool. Now if the situation calls for it (class speech/presentation, prom, weddings, etc.) feel free to rock that suit with the style you say you have.

bafield

Reaction score
Personally, I think that you should wear office pants!

mercury

Reaction score
and by the way when i wear a suit i make sinatra look like a hobo.

not true without pics.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Please save yourself a lot of trouble, and do not wear a suit to HS. You will be mocked and teased endlessly (rightfully so) and over a stupid reason.

inq89

Reaction score
People rarely wear suits to college, unless they are business majors. Don't do it. There are ways to dress above the rest while not looking anal.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am reminded of the Leave it to Beaver episode where Wally grew a mustache and wore a suit and tie to school to impress a girl and got ridiculed for it..and that was the early 60s!

No.XIII

Reaction score
In before calvinloke.

I'd personally go sans jacket. Anyway, if you are really planning on doing that, be prepared to face the mass criticism and social isolation that will ensue. Also, be prepared to be ushered into the counseling room and be lectured by the teachers for dressing better than them.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Oh, this so precious.
smile.gif
Just wear a relatively nice shirt (long-sleeve and collar open) with jeans or khakis and some Florsheim ankle boots. That's the best you can do for now. Unless you can convince your parents to send you to a better school.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At certain high schools, you'll get ridiculed for being stylish in the least bit. I never wore suits, but wear dress boots, jeans, and a knit sweater? Wear a casual knit tie? Wear a bright colored jacket? Mockery. But you stand out, and it gets you noticed by girls in other grades. (I just graduated hs, btw).
As others have said, don't wear a suit, as it isn't really appropriate for high school. But sportcoats can be fine, and it is easy to dress noticeably well without being in a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads