Should I wear a bow tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wylie, Aug 23, 2012.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This. I rarely see guys pull off this look well, except with a dinner jacket.

2. FillW

FillW Senior member

I agree!
    After you get used to wearing them etc. you can probably experiment like you do with other types of clothing.

3. FillW

FillW Senior member

Yeah, I think that's my main problem. It comes loose cause I'm pretty uncoordinated after that step. I almost got it last night and will take your advice to try to nail it down.

4. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

This is very simple... what kind of wedding is this? There are two instances where I could see a bow tie working.

1. Formal, black tie, tux. Black bow tie, nothing more, nothing less. Classic, appropriate
    2. Informal wedding, maybe outside or even on the water, where you want to wear a sports coat, light pants, and a "fun" bow tie

Other than those two instances, do NOT wear a bow tie. Not to be harsh, but I think it looks foolish wearing something like that to a formal dinner where everyone is in a suit and tie. Bow ties with sports coat is fun, but not appropriate for a wedding IMO.

I say play it smart, wear your black or charcoal suit, and look sharp.

5. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I was with you up to this point. Personally, I wouldn't want to be mistaken for the Maitre 'd, so I'd wear my most formal dark navy or charcoal suit. Unless the affair was black tie. Then I'd wear my midnight blue, shawl collar dinner jacket. But a black dinner jacket -- shawl or peak lapel -- would work just as well.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

6. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I was, and still am, under the impression that navy should never be worn at night. A wedding is formal, so a black/charcoal suit is perfectly appropriate. When you say "most formal dark navy" I will give you the benefit of the doubt that there are very few exceptions. Care to share what suit it is?

And a black suit for a night wedding that is formal (not black tie) is perfectly appropriate. From a fashion standpoint, I would always lean towards my charcoal suit, but black in my opinion is more appropriate than navy all day long, unless of course there is that one suit that is an exception....

7. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

[​IMG]

8. FillW

FillW Senior member

Not really. If you worry about it then you shouldn't...

9. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

It's probably just me taking something that I was told once by a very stylish Italian too seriously. He said that "Only baristas wear black suits." Since I was enamored of his largely Caraceni-made wardrobe, I may have taken it a bit too much to heart. If people want to wear a black suit, it really matters little to me.

I use the terms "dark navy" and "midnight blue" interchangeably and was looking to avoid repetition. Sorry for the confusion. A midnight blue suit appears black at night. Some say darker than black.

10. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

"very stylish Italian" hahahha i'm sure he was as persuasive as they come lol

but ya, a black suit to a formal evening event is always appropriate, doesn't necessarily mean it is the best option, but you can't go wrong with it. what kind of suit do you have? my next suit is navy at some point in the next couple months...

11. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Hey, I'd never have step foot inside Caraceni if I didn't know him. He was my entree in to the world of style (over fashion -- I'd always been in to fashion and was a little bit out there previously) and I probably put a little too much heft in his pronouncements. (Another one was "The only knot you ever need to know is the four-in-hand.")

Black washes me out. I'm light haired and light skinned with a pinkish tint. Black makes me look pallid.

12. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Ha... thats cool tho, I have a few people like that where I do nothing but learn from them, and then take it to my own level and see what I come up with.

And for the record, I despise the 4 in hand... half windsor and victorian are my two go-to knots

13. FillW

FillW Senior member

Hey, I finally got it right last night! Just need to refine it a bit and I'll be ready to wear it out- possibly this weekend.

14. joeman

joeman Senior member

A regular tie is fine..if you're note comfortable wearing a bow tie then don't

15. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Awesome! Keep at it -- it becomes second nature.