• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I try a "slim fit" shirt

Perdogg

Reaction score
I see a lot of "slim fit" shirts in both regular department stores and their discounts cousins, the question is am I right 'body type' for slim fit. I always think of euro-skinny when I see 'slim fit'. No offense to the neighbours across the sea.

I am more concern with comfort, however, if it is ill fitting it probably won't work. I am a 46R - 17.5/35.

What say you?

mingus2112

Reaction score
Unless you consider yourself overweight, or have quite a bit of a belly, the slim fit shirts will probably fit you OK. You'd have to try them on to really know. Most "full cut" shirts are cut for the largest possible man that might have that neck size. Most brands' "slim fit" versions are closer to a NORMAL fit.

What brands are you looking at?

Scalable

Reaction score
Forgive me if this seems rude - but are you quite serious?

To ask whether one should try a different shirt fit without specifying common-sense details such as one's body type - especially since you mentioned that - or model/maker, or, for that matter, any context, is vague in the extreme. Collar and sleeve measurements and usual jacket size do very little to show whether one is overweight or skinny.

In addition, "slim fit" varies considerably between makers, with some taking the word for its true meaning and other simply using that label for shirts that are for normal people. This is a question that you cannot expect an answer from here - make the effort to try them on yourself.

Perdogg

Reaction score

Unless you consider yourself overweight, or have quite a bit of a belly, the slim fit shirts will probably fit you OK. You'd have to try them on to really know. Most "full cut" shirts are cut for the largest possible man that might have that neck size. Most brands' "slim fit" versions are closer to a NORMAL fit.

What brands are you looking at?

I was looking at Lorenzo Uomo shirts.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim-fitting otr shirts aren't really THAT slim, so if you don't mind a slightly slimmer than normal shirt, you'll be fine. I don't know what you're hoping to get from this thread. Just try on the shirt.

Last edited:

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am boderline obese according to the BMI. Slim fit shirts fit me perfectly, unless they have skinny arms.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see a lot of "slim fit" shirts in both regular department stores and their discounts cousins, the question is am I right 'body type' for slim fit. I always think of euro-skinny when I see 'slim fit'. No offense to the neighbours across the sea.

I am more concern with comfort, however, if it is ill fitting it probably won't work. I am a 46R - 17.5/35.

What say you?

If you tell us your waist size we would be able to offer better advice

NickFR

Reaction score
I have the same problem. A relatively small waist but quite large arms. I find that
normal fit is too baggy but slim fit isnt as long/large around the arms

Scottyb06

Reaction score
I'll chime in: I'm also a 17/17.5 x 35 and often thought that slim fit shirts were going to be far too 'skinny' for me. I have a rather atheltic build, although I'm nowhere near in the shape that I was in my 20's (I'm 38 now). I learned that most shirts come in three basic 'types' - normal, slim, and extra slim. Some will use different names like traditional, classic, etc. but they tend to mean the same thing. I've found that most slim fit shirts fit me better than classic fit shirts because they don't get all billowy around the waist. I actually purchased a Lorenzo Uomo shirt about a month ago and it's one of the best fitting shirts I own. I now look for slim fit, however, I also maintain an awareness that some classic or 'normal' fit shirts might work well too, depending on the shirt maker.

Hope this helps!

Stylishmartita

Reaction score
I have the same problem. A relatively small waist but quite large arms. I find that
normal fit is too baggy but slim fit isnt as long/large around the arms

Slim fit shirts can be very tight around the armhole. If you go made to measure, a standard fitting with darts on the back would be more comfortable. You provide the measures of chest and waist, but the armhole is wider. Of course it depends on the shirtmaker..

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The difference between brands ,models and even seasons is so large the question is impossible to answer.

Go out and try stuff on.

Some brands are boyish slim. Narrow shoulders. Relatively straight down to the waist (think minimal taper/drop) smallish arms.

Some brands are athletic slim. Broad shoulders. fairly V shaped tapered drops.

Some brands are just less baggy then the brands average cut.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since most shirts on your side of the Atlantic seem to be cut wide enough to double as schooner sails, I don't see how a slim fit shirt could do any harm. You won't know till you try one on.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that slim fit shirts tend to look better on most people than regular fit shirts. I'd also note that some online websites provide a size guide where they'll give you chest and waist measurements for their various shirt fits. Charles Tyrwhitt has (or had, haven't rechecked in awhile) a pretty comprehensive one and I think you can find some sizing information on Brooks Brothers online as well. Not as sure with the brand you're looking at.

I agree with others here that posting your measurements would help. In particular, the waist measurement. You could be a 46R with a 6 inch drop or a 10 inch drop. That's going to make a difference in terms of fit.

MSchott

Reaction score
I agree with most everything above. I'm not slim at 5'10" and 215 pounds but can easily wear off the rack "fitted" dress shirts. I tend to like the Roundtree and Yorke brand available at Dillards and even with my extra weight their fitted shirts are a bit loose. I'm sure this varies by brand and shirts from European manufacturers may have a slimmer cut. If you are ordering online make sure they have a good return policy but if you are shopping brick and mortar, just try them on. Of course your best option is a bespoke shirt. Bespoke shirts I've had fit far better than anything I've bought at a store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads