• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I trim chest hair

markb

Reaction score
Even when I am wearing a buttoned shirt with tie there is still chest hair sticking out the top of the collar. I've never thought about it before but was recently informed by a friend that it looks bad. Should I trim this or does it really not matter? Just as a general note I think most of the trimming shaving fad is kinda silly.

Snake Doctor

Reaction score
I think you should shave or trim the part that is sticking out, as it doesn't look really look.

I don't shave (?) my chest but I try to trim it a bit so it looks clean.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have hairs long enough that they're sprouting on your chest but running up under your fastened collar and poking their way out, then yes, trim.

Kris

Reaction score
A quick trim near the neck won't hurt, and -yeah- having hair protrude over a closed collar with a tie is pretty much inexcusable.

Fwiw- I did my entire chest and shoulders with number 3 on the clippers, and it was just about right, and didn't itch too terribly. Next time, I used a number two. It looked better, but within a couple days I had ingrowns/acne on my chest, and it itched like a muthah.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
If you have hairs long enough that they're sprouting on your chest but running up under your fastened collar and poking their way out, then yes, trim.
Trim what is visible.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Trim the entire chest on a monthly basis. It only takes a few minutes.

Shakermaker

Reaction score
I agree with trimming the entire chest using clippers. Just don't use Nair! I made that painful mistake in college.

Berticus

Reaction score
I would say shave or wax what is visible. I consulted a lady friend if I should trim my chest hairs. She said they'd become too blunt, and although they're long and sparse, she'd prefer that over blunt hairs. I thought that was a little odd, because they'd be blunt for like a week and then smooth out or something.

markb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did take a scissors and trim just a bit so that when wearing a shirt and tie the dreaded black fur doesn't show. she who must be obeyed said to do no more and to do no trimming anywhere else. Guess she likes me being hirsuit hairy.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gorillas are hairy, men are smooth

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only trim what is absolutely necessary, and be proud that you have a testosterone level that enables you to grow it. Most men don't these days.

Originally Posted by markb
Thanks for the replies. I did take a scissors and trim just a bit so that when wearing a shirt and tie the dreaded black fur doesn't show. she who must be obeyed said to do no more and to do no trimming anywhere else. Guess she likes me being hirsuit hairy.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Does it only happen during a full moon?

wolf9a.jpg

Because that might look strange with a shaved neck.

At other times though, I think you should remove anything that extends above the collar/tie region. You could consider laser treatment, though I am not sure how well that works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads