1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I take this opportunity?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Teger, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

I guess that makes sense. I knew what schools I wanted to get into, so I didn't have to deal with all that. How many schools are you applying to?
    10 total, and would apply to more if I had the $ and time. anyway, the better the program, the higher the application cost and the more extra shit you have to do. did you have to take any tests? I took both the GRE and the GRE Literature in English test

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

10 total, and would apply to more if I had the $ and time. anyway, the better the program, the higher the application cost and the more extra shit you have to do.

did you have to take any tests? I took both the GRE and the GRE Literature in English test

Just the GMAT. I got my MPA same place as I got my MBA and they made an exception for me and took my GMAT score in place of the GRE. And I took the LSAT of course.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

how am I giving up "250k minimum"? most careers I would be interested in pursuing are not particularly high paying.

I'm not sure why you are not understanding the question.

So if you were making the SF minimum salary, would you give that up to complete a Ph.D. and teach, making the average wages a non-tenured prof gets?

This question asks, "If you had a job, and that job paid at least the SF minimum salary, would you ever give it up to finish a Ph.D. with the plans of going into teach."

I almost had to make this choice, at least the part about working on a Ph.D.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

Just the GMAT. I got my MPA same place as I got my MBA and they made an exception for me and took my GMAT score in place of the GRE. And I took the LSAT of course.

typical cost breakdown is something like this:

I applied to UVA

$75 application fee (IIRC)
    $46 for scores (once with just GRE, once with GRE Subject)
    $10 for 2x transcripts
    $10 to mail the additional packet of work

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

I'm not sure why you are not understanding the question. This question asks, "If you had a job, and that job paid at least the SF minimum salary, would you ever give it up to finish a Ph.D. with the plans of going into teach." I almost had to make this choice, at least the part about working on a Ph.D.
    no I understood the question, and my answer was "maybe". luckily (or unluckily?) I don't have to make that choice so I don't see how it's super relevant. even if I went and got an MA in something and then worked for 5 years, it would most likely be in a field where making $250k isn't a realistic possibility.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I don't think an MA in history is conducive to job placement. I say this as someone with a BA in history...I love the stuff, but where would you use that MA?
    i think you should keep overeducating yourself in the liberal arts until you're completely unemployable
    +1 to this. What the fuck would you do with an MA in History? If you want to teach, just kill yourself now.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

typical cost breakdown is something like this:

I applied to UVA

$75 application fee (IIRC)
    $46 for scores (once with just GRE, once with GRE Subject)
    $10 for 2x transcripts
    $10 to mail the additional packet of work

Wow, you got shafted. I took the GRE (general test) in December, didn't pay to have scores sent, didn't have to pay to send transcripts, uploaded all documents for application packet. Based on your maths I saved $66 per application

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

Wow, you got shafted. I took the GRE (general test) in December, didn't pay to have scores sent, didn't have to pay to send transcripts, uploaded all documents for application packet. Based on your maths I saved $66 per application

the fun of the GRE is when you take both a subject test and a general test you have to send everything twice because of grading time discrepancy.

9. scientific

scientific Senior member

can't you just go backpacking somewhere to find yourself?

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

I don't think an MA in history is conducive to job placement. I say this as someone with a BA in history...I love the stuff, but where would you use that MA?
    lol. I seem to remember telling you that a couple of years ago.

11. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Isn't that the tree HR reps grow on?

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

lol. I seem to remember telling you that a couple of years ago.
    Your wise words were taken to heart Matthew-san. [​IMG]

13. Matt

Matt Senior member

this must be how that Cats In The Cradle guy felt...

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Nothing says "I've got my shit figured out" like asking a bunch of people on the internet whether you should take up some guy's advice to spend two years doing something you had no prior interest in.

You're going places, Teger.