• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Switch Out the Buttons?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please help me to cure my indecision, SF groupthink

Leave the buttons as it, or replace for a brown/black horn.

Please forgive the poor shooping.

Option A - Status Quo:
5043043818_b704aee958_z.jpg

Option B - Switcheroo:
5043896233_aa6387f30d_z.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White buttons in my mind are for spring/summer, and make the suit look less formal. I'd switch them to brown or black horn.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
a close up would be nice. Can't really see ****.

Best I can do for now:
5043059700_45ea81e186_z.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way, the suit looks good. I'm amazed that it's as old as it is, and that you bought it for only $30.00. Your tailor did a good job of altering it for you.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
For what its worth, the darker buttons look better IMO.

Curious, why do you disguise your identity in some pictures but not others?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
backstory?

This was a great find that started out bad.

I got it about a year ago, I guess, for $30 off of ebay. At the time, I wanted a grey flannel suit. Bonus, as this one was a three piece too.

When I got it, the dammed thing had bellbottoms! It was MtM or bespoke for some dude in the late 70s at a place called Jodhpurs in Charlotte, NC.

It languished in my closet for a year until I finally took the pants to a tailor to get them tapered.

I was initially turned off by the large lapels, but have grown to really like them. With some more warm-ironing, I'll have the roll the way I want it too.

Before I fixed the pants, I had this suit in the donation pile and was ready to write it off. I am glad I didn't.

Originally Posted by PTWilliams
For what its worth, the darker buttons look better IMO.

Curious, why do you disguise your identity in some pictures but not others?

Easier to focus on the clothes in the chopped-head shots. My identity is not a secret.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
By the way, the suit looks good. I'm amazed that it's as old as it is, and that you bought it for only $30.00. Your tailor did a good job of altering it for you.

The only alterations were to the trou; jacket's as it was when I received it from eBay. I was just marvelously lucky.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Switch the buttons, unless you feel have you enough suits to not need to bother too much about versatility. It's a great suit, but as I hinted in WAYWRN, has a few too many eye-catching details. Nixing the buttons will mellow it just enough to be much more versatile.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I first saw your post in WAYWRN, my first thought was "that's sharp!" I think the ticket pocket and the lapels contribute to the sharpness, but the buttons are the cherry on top. I think you should go ahead and commit to the aesthetic that the suit is going for. (I.e., keep the buttons.)

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lapels look fine though you might have been a little overzealous in narrowing the pants in relation to the lapels. What is warm ironing?

That came as a consequence of a language barrier between the alterationist and myself.

Initially when he narrowed the pants, he left them narrowed, but flared. I tried explained that I wanted them straight, and this was the result. I'm ok with it for now. If anything, I may narrow the lapels a touch in the future.

By warm ironing I mean taking a press cloth and a warm iron to the lapels to "train" them to roll the way I want. When I got the suit, the lapels were pressed flat against the chest. It's a work in progress.

Originally Posted by Holdfast
Switch the buttons, unless you feel have you enough suits to not need to bother too much about versatility. It's a great suit, but as I hinted in WAYWRN, has a few too many eye-catching details. Nixing the buttons will mellow it just enough to be much more versatile.

Agreed. I think I just needed the push to go over the edge and actually change them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics