• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Switch Out the Buttons?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
By warm ironing I mean taking a press cloth and a warm iron to the lapels to "train" them to roll the way I want. When I got the suit, the lapels were pressed flat against the chest. It's a work in progress.

Is this the SF-approved way to un-press an overpressed lapel? I have a jacket that could use a little bit of that... It's supposed to be a 3-roll-2, but it's more like a three-sharply-creased-to-2.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
leave it as is - it is more authentic that way.
Authentic as in Spectacular 70s?
eh.gif
plaidstallions.jpg
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
When I first saw your post in WAYWRN, my first thought was "that's sharp!" I think the ticket pocket and the lapels contribute to the sharpness, but the buttons are the cherry on top. I think you should go ahead and commit to the aesthetic that the suit is going for. (I.e., keep the buttons.)
I see your point. But I hope to be wearing this to court as a defender. Thus I am not sure this aesthetic is the best for that situation. Maybe if I were a high rolling plaintiffs' or private defense attorney...
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Is this the SF-approved way to un-press an overpressed lapel? I have a jacket that could use a little bit of that... It's supposed to be a 3-roll-2, but it's more like a three-sharply-creased-to-2.
It might not be the SF approved way, but that's how I've done it in the past, with good result. Just use no steam when ironing.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lufty, that suit is awesome imo. Love the lapels. Great find. I see nothing wrong with the buttons, but for only $30 + price of tapering the pants invested so far, you can afford to spend a bit more to get exactly what you want
wink.gif

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really impressed that you got that for $30 off eBay. Curious on how you were able to get such a good fit. Is it really just a matter of getting the shoulder, chest, waist, length, and sleeve measurements right, and then searching for that online?

I would switch to darker buttons, by the way, but it still looks great as is.

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
This was a great find that started out bad. I got it about a year ago, I guess, for $30 off of ebay. At the time, I wanted a grey flannel suit. Bonus, as this one was a three piece too. When I got it, the dammed thing had bellbottoms! It was MtM or bespoke for some dude in the late 70s at a place called Jodhpurs in Charlotte, NC. It languished in my closet for a year until I finally took the pants to a tailor to get them tapered. I was initially turned off by the large lapels, but have grown to really like them. With some more warm-ironing, I'll have the roll the way I want it too. Before I fixed the pants, I had this suit in the donation pile and was ready to write it off. I am glad I didn't. Easier to focus on the clothes in the chopped-head shots. My identity is not a secret.
This suit looks great. For 30$ absolutely amazing that you found it for that price.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw Lufty, what's up with the face-cropping? No **** but we all know what your beautiful mug looks like (*cough* BDRM *cough*).

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Lufty, that suit is awesome imo. Love the lapels. Great find. I see nothing wrong with the buttons, but for only $30 + price of tapering the pants invested so far, you can afford to spend a bit more to get exactly what you want
wink.gif

Originally Posted by chasingred
I'm really impressed that you got that for $30 off eBay. Curious on how you were able to get such a good fit. Is it really just a matter of getting the shoulder, chest, waist, length, and sleeve measurements right, and then searching for that online?

I would switch to darker buttons, by the way, but it still looks great as is.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I just ordered buttons - cost more than the suit did!
ffffuuuu.gif

Chasingred, it wasn't even a measurement thing. I think I just searched "charcoal flannel suit 38" and came up with that suit.

Originally Posted by Bull
Btw Lufty, what's up with the face-cropping? No **** but we all know what your beautiful mug looks like (*cough* BDRM *cough*).

The cropping is just so there's a focus on the fit, proportions, and pattern matching. My face is plastered all over WAYWRN anyway, so it's not out of a concern of people finding out who I am.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I prefer a darker horn button ... preferably a dark brown.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. You've pretty much confirmed my feelings on the issue.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should have kept the pants bellbottomish. LuLz

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Switch the buttons, unless you feel have you enough suits to not need to bother too much about versatility. It's a great suit, but as I hinted in WAYWRN, has a few too many eye-catching details. Nixing the buttons will mellow it just enough to be much more versatile.

Agree - a very small handful of people will know that the lighter buttons are authentic - most will see them as overbearing.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads