• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I stop wearing ties to work?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I work in internal consulting for a major financial services firm and the dress code here is business casual. Just some dress pants, a button up, and dress shoes.

Most people dress properly, but I like to take it one step further and wear shirts and pants that fit. I have a slim frame anyway, so all the OTR stuff is boxy and makes me look stupid. So I get all my shirts tailored to have them fairly slim-fitting. My slimmest and best-fitting shirts are from moderntailor.com.

But recently, I've taken a liking to wearing ties with my shirts and since most people in the office don't wear ties (even the senior people), my fellow analysts asked me what the occasion was, as if I had dressed up for something. The only time people wear ties, and maybe even a jacket/blazer, is when they're presenting in front of a client.

To be frank, I am dressing better than my superiors and peers by wearing a tie, so should I stop? I don't want to stand out in a bad way by dressing "too nice."

I haven't received any comments from senior people and everyone stopped asking me why I'm wearing ties (albeit, I only wear them 2-3 times a week; based on the reactions I get here, I'll either start wearing them everyday, or continue as is with 2-3 times a week).

I'm not quite sure if this topic is laughably inane in its content and proposed severity, but I'm really unsure as to whether I'm silently killing my career.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People asked you why you were wearing a tie because it's uncommon. They will stop asking when they realize you wear it often because you like to. Why would wearing a tie "kill your career"? Walking around the office feeling satisfied about yourself because you out dress your peers and seniors could kill your career if you wear the smugness on your face or attitude.

KPO89

Reaction score
When I first came to my job I wore ties and suits on a regular basis. Much to the surprise of my coworkers who practically wear jeans on a daily basis. I really think it just comes down to the climate of the institution at which you work. For me, I found that the people I worked with on a daily basis found it almost a "classicist" thing so I stopped. I think dressing up too much in certain environments can have the same impact as being under dressed in others.

Its a judgement call based on the personalities you work with.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How political is your office? If you will be judged negatively by others for wearing a tie and this will affect your raise/promotion/employment prospects then stop doing it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
for advice about offline, I'd actually agree with you. I think you'd be better off wearing the occasional sportscoat, keeping it unstructured, or heavy textures, etc so it's casual rather than a tie. unless they're simple knit ties or something. somehow a tie in your environment sounds a bit try too hard, and from experience, I'd rather keep things even just a little "sloppy" and let your work speak for itself. I wear a lot of jacket/outerwear type sportscoats to keep things casual but dressed.

also, you can probably play with things like a tie, but then a v-neck sweater over it.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How political is your office? If you will be judged negatively by others for wearing a tie and this will affect your raise/promotion/employment prospects then stop doing it.

The place I work at is fairly political, but that's the thing -- I don't know if I'm being judged negatively for wearing a tie.

I think I'm just going to play it safe and only wear ties when presenting in front of a client.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would compromise with knit ties.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

for advice about offline, I'd actually agree with you. I think you'd be better off wearing the occasional sportscoat, keeping it unstructured, or heavy textures, etc so it's casual rather than a tie. unless they're simple knit ties or something. somehow a tie in your environment sounds a bit try too hard, and from experience, I'd rather keep things even just a little "sloppy" and let your work speak for itself. I wear a lot of jacket/outerwear type sportscoats to keep things casual but dressed.

also, you can probably play with things like a tie, but then a v-neck sweater over it.

Solid advice, and basically how I approach a similar situation. Over time I've gone from being considered an eccentric to a trendsetter, as some of my colleagues have stepped up their game. A couple of us started up Tie Tuesdays, and this past week about a dozen people (out of 70 employees total) wore ties. I've got a drawer full of donated ties for any last second participants. I think I loaned out 4 of them this time.

To step it up a notch I wore a suit with a PS. I'm still alone in the pocket square camp, but that fit ROCKED.

:)

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to wear a tie, wear a tie. I wouldn't start wearing three piece suits or a top hat if I were you, but a tie is fine.

If your workplace is so political that wearing a tie when everyone is business casual will hurt your career prospects.....well then get the **** out of there!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a bizzare work place if wearing a tie would **** up your career. People may see you as quirky but I don't get how or why that would be treated as a negative thing by senior personnel and even most of your peers. Just as long as you aren't actually a douche bag, you should be fine.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I moved from a business dress standard company to a business casual standard company (no casual days) and I did open collar in the beginning but did wear a tie for business trips and VIP meetings. Then I tossed a sweater, cardigan or vest on during the winter with the tie underneath. Now in the summer, I shed the sweater. The transition seems to be seamless except for the people who are lower on the totem pole, and my boss still wears a tie on the days I cited before so I have no problems. Hell, my boss and I were wearing jackets in Atlanta when it was 38c.

I try to keep the ties dark and neutral and not too flashy. I've never had a problem with it. If people ask, I always just say I'm trying to do a professional job and be a professional about it.

Obviously if your boss or your peers are all wearing plaid shorts and polos, I could see the tie being a problem. But the minimum at my place is wool slacks and a dress shirt.

Last edited:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to change it up so that no one things I'm trying to one up them in the dress department. I'll wear a jacket and tie one day and go open collar the next and then maybe shirt and tie for the rest of the week. I think if you keep it varied your coworkers and bosses will realize that it's more of a personal thing as opposed to a "I'm dressing for the job I WANT!" type thing.

As I said before, any place where wearing a tie will hurt my chances at advancement is not the type of place I would want to work, period.

johnaus

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

"I'm dressing for the job I WANT!"

If you don't mind me asking.. Is this a bad attitude to have?
My father always told me to act & dress for where I want to be, not where I am.... Sure some people have given me **** for it, but so far it seems like it is working well. Now I'm worried it is secretly pissing my boss off or something...

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, the worst thing you want is for you to be known as 'that guy who wears a tie all the time' in the office. If that is the strongest differentiating aspect about you, you have to drop the ties now. You have to be known first and foremost as an expert in your field, not for your dress sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads