• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I soak this raw denim jacket or not?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quick poal - should I soak this denim jacket or not? Its made of the same raw denim that's in the 501 STF Grey jeans so I figure it'll soak just as well. Trouble is, I keep thinking that I want it to age raw. So, I'll let the collective decide. Yay or nay?
pLEVI1-9001989t500x607.jpg

ataru

Reaction score
Soak. Unsoaked raw denim jackets are just too uncomfortable IMO. Besides, if it's not sanforized it won't fit anything like it should without at least a soak.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's stf, soak it. it'll still fade. if you're that worried about fades, restarch after soaking.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd actually never seen a grey one. Intrigues me to want to grab one of my own. Where'd you kop it?

Oh, and do soak it too - you'll inevitably need to wash it and it's not worth worrying about later.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Levi's. Technically, its not STF, but its made out of the exact same denim as the grey STF jeans, so I'm running with the same logic. Problem is, it fits in the shoulders now, and I don't know how it'll react when I shrink it. Oh well, only way to know is to try.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wanna get the ridgid trucker jacker

how can i fade it fast?

would washing everyday work?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is gray denim even particularly worth fading?
Kind of a serious question. I just never considered it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
Is gray denim even particularly worth fading? Kind of a serious question. I just never considered it.
Well the jeans have been going strong and they haven't really faded in spots, just overall. The shade of grey keeps lightening. I keep having to soak and dry them so that's probably not helping. Overall, they're very worthwhile.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
No idea. Beat the **** out of I suppose. Never speed-worn a piece of raw denim before.

Jacket is under water. Will report back.

what detergent would cause big loss of indigo?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nudie makes pretty good denim jackets. I have the dry black coated conny and I've never soaked mine.

idk about levi's though. if it's stf fabric that means it must be due for a bit of shrinkage. looks interesting though. you'll probably be able to stretch it out anyways.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb_32
No one more than others from what I've seen. Its the use and abuse that causes good fading.
Originally Posted by robertorex
nudie makes pretty good denim jackets. I have the dry black coated conny and I've never soaked mine. idk about levi's though. if it's stf fabric that means it must be due for a bit of shrinkage. looks interesting though. you'll probably be able to stretch it out anyways.
Levi's STF denim is very odd in that certain colors exhibit different results. The standard blue and black don't really stretch all that much. The grey and khaki colors stretched and shrunk like a motherfucker, so much so that I had to soak/machine dry them every few months to whip them back into shape.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont really want fades per se, just a light blue colour to contrast with my dark denim

if i can get the jacket to be 3 shades lighter id be happy

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb_32

It has more to do with heat. Wash on the hottest setting and put it in the dryer until it is fully dry. Repeat.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
It has more to do with heat. Wash on the hottest setting and put it in the dryer until it is fully dry. Repeat.

when i shove it in the dryer do i also dry at the hottest setting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads