• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Ship A Car To Europe/Which One?

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am finalizing a deal to work in Luxembourg. My prospective employer has agreed to ship my car for me. I currently drive a HUGE Toyota Landcruiser that gets around 13mpg.

1. Should I ship that car

OR

2. Buy a small car here and have it shipped and which one would you recommend?

3. Buy something over there?

Thanks

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say #3. Isn't there regulations and inspections that any car that you sent over would have to go through?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Buy something there.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get an estimate of how much it would cost to ship your car and have them give you that much as a supplement to buy a new one while you're there
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long are you going to be in Europe? Once you have lived there for a year I believe you can buy a new car tax free (assuming you are North American). Just something to keep in mind...

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
How long are you going to be in Europe? Once you have lived there for a year I believe you can buy a new car tax free (assuming you are North American). Just something to keep in mind...

Am going to be there for three years at least, so that's a good idea. I guess I have been thinking about selling the Landcruiser and picking up a used Audi or VW here and sending that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. keep in mind you may find driving and parking your american car in europe to be a real pain **********

2. gas is real expensive

3. I'd just buy a local car

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
1. keep in mind you may find driving and parking your american car in europe to be a real pain **********

2. gas is real expensive

3. I'd just buy a local car

1. +1

2. +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1!!!!!

3. Or check out the public transit options. Likely there's a bus/metro that will cover most of the distance. And you'll see more of the local sights.

Plus people will resent or outright hate you just because you're driving an enormous, wasteful beast.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
1. +1

2. +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1!!!!!

3. Or check out the public transit options. Likely there's a bus/metro that will cover most of the distance. And you'll see more of the local sights.

Plus people will resent or outright hate you just because you're driving an enormous, wasteful beast.

Great points-yes the Landcruiser will not be making the trip.

mmhollis

Reaction score
Gas is definitely more expensive and the streets are narrower I'd buy a car there.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I looked into this a bit when moving to the Netherlands from the US. Couple of points

-You can usually bring in one car per adult tax free.
-It will still have to comply with road safety / MOT.
-After about 6 months (depending on country) you can sell it without paying import duties
-Many American cars go for significantly more in Europe than back home. I have seen Vettes here for double the US MSRP.

There are many nuances, but if you play it right, you may be able to bring a car over, drive it for a while (yes petrol is higher), have something which not many people here have, and sell it for a profit after 6 months to a year.

YMMV depending on car, country, personal situation, etc etc...

K

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say buy a local car. Europe has so many cool choices.....I like new new Alfa Romeos.....plus, they're all gonna look at the Land Cruiser and laugh. As others said, gas costs a fortune and that thing will be near impossible to navigate down the narrow streets lined with cars and such.

eighteennine

Reaction score
Great to have a SFer come to Luxembourg, I've been living there for 8 years now. I'd get a new car here, driving a huge beast like that in Lux city is a hassle, especially parking wise. Many underground car parks here are so low and narrow, you'd probably couldn't get in.

Where are you going to work? In the city, on Kirchberg or somewhere in the country?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads