• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I save this suit?

Fly1296

Reaction score
I've found several suits recently at the thrift store, one of which I'm quite torn on. It's a Daniel Cremieux (high-end around here) medium charcoal 3-button SB. It has the hand-stitching detail along the lapel. Anyway, the pants are ok, just need taken in a bit, but the jacket needs some work. My best guess is that it's a 44L or 46L, whereas I wear a 42L and still need that size brought in at the sides. But this jacket is easily 1.5" longer in the body and sleeves that my other jackets. From the lower pockets up it proportioned normally, and it's presumably OTR so I have no explanation for the length. Is it too much to bring the body and sleeves up by that much? I like the cut of the suit but don't want to hold on to it if there's no real hope of getting it to fit and look right.

CAMPIII

Reaction score
I would be hesitant to invest that much money in to altering should it not turn out just right.

GSaavedra

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I would take it to my tailor and get their frank assessment of it. If he or she gives you a go-ahead in a price you like, then you'll be happy with a nice suit in a week or two. Your tailor is the only person who will be able to tell you, completely, how much work needs to be done (and how much that will cost), beyond simply shortening the length and the sleeves.

Otherwise, try to flip it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No get rid of it - its second hand crap.

mdg137

Reaction score
1.5" in the body is too much to shorten-- you will throw the balance off.

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
No get rid of it - its second hand crap.

Secondhand crap how? The fact that it's secondhand, or the brand? If it's the brand, I simply don't have any better options around here. The highest-end menswear retailers for 150 miles are Dillards, Jos A. Bank, or Men's Wearhouse.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
1.5" in the body is too much to shorten-- you will throw the balance off.

you can shorten about an inch at the most.

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
you can shorten about an inch at the most.
An inch would make a big difference, so I can live with that. I've seen a lot about ruining the proportions if I shorten too much. I have compared this jacket to my others of proper length and all the extra length is below the lower pockets. I doesn't make sense to me but I've measured several times to be certain. I guess not much to do but consult a good tailor, if one can be found.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dump it or return it for a refund or credit note.
Invest some time to learn your sizes, then buy something that fits better to begin with.
This will mean less alterations and money spent later.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fly1296
An inch would make a big difference, so I can live with that.

I've seen a lot about ruining the proportions if I shorten too much. I have compared this jacket to my others of proper length and all the extra length is below the lower pockets. I doesn't make sense to me but I've measured several times to be certain. I guess not much to do but consult a good tailor, if one can be found.

An inch would make a difference. A good competent tailor can do wonders but everything has limits. What city are you in?

csoukoulis

Reaction score
id probably pass. Get your measurements and look for a good deal on ebay.

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
An inch would make a difference. A good competent tailor can do wonders but everything has limits. What city are you in?

Tulsa, OK

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take it to your tailor and ask. I wouldn't hesitate to have alterations done on a suit I liked, regardless of whether it was purchased second hand or not.

I'm not sure why you're so attached to a Daniel Cremieux suit, but that's a separate issue.

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
id probably pass. Get your measurements and look for a good deal on ebay.

Because of my size and proportion anything I buy short of bespoke will require alterations. I'd rather be able to try something on and be able to tell where and how much it will require alteration. I can get suits for $13, which is all I have invested in this one so far, then get them altered. I'll know the color, material quality, and such before I buy. Or I can pay several hundred on eBay, fly largely blind, and still end up have to pay for alterations.

As much as I like the cut of this jacket the consensus seems to be that it's not worth the effort. That's fine with me. It was my first thrift purchase, I didn't know then what I do now about the limits of alterations, and recent purchases have been far more selective. Right now my finances dictate that I go this route, or I look like every other crappy dresser in town.

Fly1296

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Take it to your tailor and ask. I wouldn't hesitate to have alterations done on a suit I liked, regardless of whether it was purchased second hand or not.

I'm not sure why you're so attached to a Daniel Cremieux suit, but that's a separate issue.

The brand has nothing to do with it. My options around here are limited to national chain retailers so I couldn't do much better no matter where I go. I just like the three button cut for my height.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads