• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I order from P.Lal or Pediwear ?

Tibo

Reaction score
OK so I want to order a pair of C&J Belgrave in chestnut. I got a quote from P.Lal and Pediwear matched it. Now I'm planning to order from Pediwear as I'm based in Europe and this is a more convenient option, but I'm having second thoughts out of fidelity as P. Lal made the nice offer first ...

Any other factors I should consider (service, ...) to help me decide between P.Lal and Pediwear ?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No experience w/ Pediwear but Shyam will stand behind everyhting he sells and if there is a sizing problem, Shyam will make it right.

Neo1824

Reaction score
The only big difference I've found between them is that Pediwear will include free shoe trees for AAAC members. Both have great customer service, both ship quickly, and both have top notch quality on their shoes.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i dont know about pediwear, but i know the gentleman from PLAL is a regular forum person here as well.

Good point ... Now I feel awkward !
blush.gif

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say pay extra to a middleman and have Brian (diorshoe) get them for you.
laugh.gif

I would go with Plal.

minimal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo1824
The only big difference I've found between them is that Pediwear will include free shoe trees for AAAC members. Both have great customer service, both ship quickly, and both have top notch quality on their shoes.

Are those C&J trees?!?! If so, that's terrific...

auburn1976

Reaction score
plal definitely...

about a month ago, i ordered 2 pairs (weymouth and clifford), which were too small. after several attempts (via mail), i worked out the sizing issue, and Shyam did not charge for shipping. despite the exchanges, i still received both pairs (correct size in the Weymouth and Belgrave) within a month. so, i agree with the previous comment that Shyam will truly go out of his way to get things right.

Neo1824

Reaction score
No not C&J trees!
laugh.gif

I also had some size issues with my first C&J and Shyam was fantastic in getting it sorted out. No extra shipping charges for me as well.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The UK/EU shoes (Pediwear) have the VAT included. The shoes from outside the EU (PLAL) have not. I believe Belgium has 20% VAT. With customs and VAT on shoes as well as postage costs, not forgetting brokerage fees, you could be looking at an additional 30%. (The shoes might through without being detected, but they might not. "Gift" does not count on goods over EUR 50.00 in value.)

At least buying within the EU, you know exactly the costs in advance. There is no customs and the VAT paid in one member state, allies to every other member state.

For Americans it is totally different as potential customs charges applies to either purchase, but then, their theshold for customs to kick in is much higher than in Europe (I believe USD 200.00)

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The retailer can deduct the VAT if something gets sent outside of the EU. But they are not obliged to do that. Sometimes smaller retailers, who are not used to ship internationally, might refuse.

I presume, Pediwear who has an international clientele, will do it.

Tibo

Reaction score
BS, you are making a crucial point which I forgot to mention in my OP. Of course if the risk was the same I'd go with P.Lal as I've heard so many good things about him (as shown by the poll).

However, the problem is that with P.Lal I can't eliminate the risk of being charged VAT + custom rights when the package enters the EU (I'm in Belgium). With Pediwear, the risk is absent. This is of course a major factor in the decision. I wouldn't like to end up with an unpleasant surprise and see most of the price cut eaten by custom rights.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads