• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hoodog

I've experienced some shrinkage with flannels that I machine washed warm/hang dried (about .5" in the chest, sleeves and length). But, I typically handwash my IH flannels cold and hang dry, and in those cases you're unlikely to experience any shrinkage. If you machine wash hot you're definitely gonna get shrinkage. I'm in the US so our washing machines have pretty basic settings, like cold, warm and hot.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is a great question, and one I feel like I am particularly well-suited to answer, to the extent that I am the owner of both:

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

Frankly, they are completely different jackets. Specifically, the Fujito is much more "MC Casual" while the SdC is much more "SW&D" (I know, sweeping generalization).

Personally, I would go for the SdC if it was one or the other. The SdC is really nice this year, and NMWA is the only retailer I am aware of that carries it. Conversely, Fujito is available from a number of retailers and, while this year's iteration is very, very nice, it is fairly fungible and they will probably come out with something similar next year.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Newcomer - I just ordered the SdC from NMWA. what size did you take again? I remember you were on the fence between a M and L?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took an L. I couldn’t go smaller.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into Japan Blue Jeans' new shop in Ueno today to take a look at these heavy cord workpants, jacket and vest:
img_74_8.jpg

I love heavy cord (who doesn't?), the cut on everything is great, slighly loose and comfortable but not too loose, and the detail and construction is excellent, but it's the textured pattern I am not sure about. See below:
feature_img_1.jpg

If it was straight heavy cord I would buy these in a second. Really not sure what I feel about this texture...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tan for use on Wednesday afternoons, Saturday mornings before 11:34 am, and when the light hits the earth at a 65-degree angle and the fog allows for an orange-yellow glow. Also when 56% or more of your outfit is comprised of cooler colors such as steel greys, slate blues, and neutral browns. When you want to say "I'm here for business, but I'm also a fun-loving free spirit who enjoys hot chocolate and lazy Sunday mornings."

Then the sepia tote for Sunday through Tuesday, Thursday, and Fridays. Except for holidays (no canvas totes on holidays). When the light hits at any other degree except 65, when the sky is within the family of grey or blue hues, and only if the songbirds have sung that morning. When your outfit is at least 35% comprised of warm colors such as cosmos madder, unmellow yellow, and vermillion (aka cinnabar). When you want to say "I'm feeling edgy and dangerous, but still value and respect the social contract."

Then an olive Filson tote for every other occasion.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan Filson is like the CDB of bags.
You could probably find something nicer and more interesting on Etsy for that price point.
I too have a 256
Yeah I know. I have quite a few other cool bags already (tbh more than I need). It's really more of a want vs. need situation

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tan
View attachment 1264439

or sepia?
View attachment 1264440
FWIW I have the 256 in tan already

I have a Filson tote in that "tan" color that I frequently use for weekend travel. I think the sepia leans more towards heritage/workwear, but the tan has a nice mustard/ochre undertone that looks cool with contemporary clothing. Either way, can't go wrong.

I also have a navy 256 I got in 2014 and it has aged amazingly.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stevenson Overall Co. Lone Wolf jacket in 12 oz cotton.

Yay or nay? And if yay, what color?
Stevenson Overall LW1-IR Lone Wolf Jacket Indigo x Red-JACKET-Clutch Cafe

OR

Stevenson Overall LW1-AR Lone Wolf Jacket Ash Grey x Red-JACKET-Clutch Cafe

LoneWolf132019_Edits-1329_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads