• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

lol

Reaction score
More of a should I or shouldn't I keep:

View attachment 1232195

Can someone help me understand hats? I don't think this looks good on me. Is it because the crown is too high for my face shape? It fits a little snug, would going up a size look better or is the shape of the hat not for me? Would wider brims or brims pointed more downwards like bucket hats work better? Thanks.
I think the eyebrows and the height of the hat make it look a bit like Dior Couture.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those toggles are comically large and that only makes me want it more.
Well, the binchotan coal ones can keep you warm around an improvised fire or help you filter that creek water, while the other ones have a secret compartment for your spy microfilm :marchal:

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
serveimage

My absolute fave duffel of all time, got one some time ago off a consignment site.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, the binchotan coal ones can keep you warm around an improvised fire or help you filter that creek water, while the other ones have a secret compartment for your spy microfilm :marchal:
The issue I have had with the coat is that some of the binchotan coal toggles tend to fall off. Bit of a pain.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I’m in the right thread, but I need a pair of jeans for thick thighs.

Right now I wear naked & famous easy guys, and I don’t like how much they taper from the knee down.

I need something that fits like the orslow 105 from the knee down but more room in the thigh.

Anywhere in particular I should look? I already checked the JNCOs website

Did you look into the Epaulet jean that has big thighs?

Friends don't let friends wear velcro shoes.

I'm so-so on the Velcro hi top gats but I believe in Velcro shoes. I wish there were more good ones out there.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raf Velcro high tops are still awesome

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah but raftros are better

moral of the story: less velcro is better

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@PeteyPajamapant

This is what I plan on trying out:

PATTERN IS TOO INTENTIONAL

Resolute did not fit; not the right pattern for me.

From Dieworkwear's posts:

@gettoasty @dieworkwear

Thank you! I’m gonna try out the 3sixteen classic taper and the left field jeans. I don’t like how aggressive the taper is on my naked and famous easy guys. These look like they might be a better bet.

If not I guess I could just size up and get the waist taken in.
fwiw I picked up the Drakes to see how they are. I tried OrSlow a few times and never can get the fit right. I want to like them. Thanks for the heads up @armellod.e
I tried on some Drakes in London and the waist had a good 3"+ in them while the thighs were stuffed :( So far the Uniqlo regular fit tapered has been the best go. I've picked up four pairs as I've been looking for a jean with that cut for what feels like three years and they are the first to do a very large front rise without an extremely aggressive taper (like the N&F and 3sixteen I've tried).

Going by measurements 107 would be a miss too.

I wear Sugar Cane 1947s, they do not taper at all. Have a ton of room in the top block though. But when I was in Japan I saw a ton of people rocking big leg openings and letting it drape. Was a bit inspired so have been doing the same.

I'm off to do some paused squats for sets of 15, that's mostly why I have this problem.
From my observations the OrSlow offerings seem to vary in terms of QC and therefore fit. Some places list a size 4 Ivy Fit (107) with a 7" taper while other stores have it listed at 7.5". I've tried size three in 107 and 105. 105 fits just fine if not slightly larger, may need to go up to size 4 for 107. Going to go through the entire list of denim DWW discussed and see what fits best. Then, need to figure out how to get rid of the donuts because some of the inseams are ridiculous.
@gettoasty you try the $50 Uniqlo joints and just call it a day? They look good to me:

@Coldsnap
I may, still have the Uniqlo U jeans that I like and should fit better in a F/W outfit with big coats. I'm looking for more exact fit (i.e. slightly slimmer in the thighs, higher front rise, and slight taper). The Drakes' jeans have a 20cm+ taper, which may be too wide for what I am thinking. I'd like to stay between 7.75" - 8" taper if possible. 19cm sounds good too.

A follow up:

Ended up trying out jeans from Drake's from current season, the thinner denim of the two available. Make was nice in hand but the fit would be more favorable if the inseam came in at different lengths. Would have kept likely if the jeans came with 30" inseam. Could have taken them to local Self Edge to have the jeans hemmed to right length but did not think it was worth all the trouble in the end. I do not think I am receptive to breaking in a pair of raw denim again after so long ago. I also felt the particular pattern was too intentional. The front rise is really high and I was afraid to get little wear out of the jeans since it fit so specifically to a certain look. I'll give it to Drake's for nice stock photos, still love what they're all about ( @dieworkwear, keep up the good fight).

@Coldsnap The Uniqlo jeans came in today and I believe 'we have a winner'. Tried size 31 and 32. 31 was too slim in the waist and seat for comfort. I am curious if they stretch and by how much but ultimately am deciding to go with the size 32. Inseam and taper difference between sizes seemed negligible, and I like the extra room in the waist and seat for tucking shirts. Jeans are right about 19cm, which I have been looking for for so long. Will restrain myself from ordering another pair however, part of my "new initiative" to put wear into clothes that I buy and not stock up. These Uniqlo jeans are pretty much perfect, picked up the dark wash. Should I get the other colors? Still want a washed pair of denim. If I had to nitpick the inseam could be a tad shorter, there is just enough length to upturn the hem maybe half an inch I think.

If you remember a few months back I said I tried on the jeans in store. Likely the wrong jeans that were tagged incorrectly if I remember the fit correctly now. Order online is probably best bet for these Uniqlo straight fit with a taper.

Interested still in Anglo-Italian jeans too, @kjb

Last edited:

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
A follow up:

Ended up trying out jeans from Drake's from current season, the thinner denim of the two available. Make was nice in hand but the fit would be more favorable if the inseam came in at different lengths. Would have kept likely if the jeans came with 30" inseam. Could have taken them to local Self Edge to have the jeans hemmed to right length but did not think it was worth all the trouble in the end. I do think I am receptive to breaking in a pair of raw denim again after so long ago. I also felt the particular pattern was too intentional. The front rise is really high and I was afraid to get little wear out of the jeans since it fit so specifically to a certain look. I'll give it to Drake's for nice stock photos, still love what they're all about ( @dieworkwear, keep up the good fight).

@Coldsnap The Uniqlo jeans came in today and I believe 'we have a winner'. Tried size 31 and 32. 31 was too slim in the waist and seat for comfort. I am curious if they stretch and by how much but ultimately am deciding to go with the size 32. Inseam and taper difference between sizes seemed negligible, and I like the extra room in the waist and seat for tucking shirts. Jeans are right about 19cm, which I have been looking for for so long. Will restrain myself from ordering another pair however, part of my "new initiative" to put wear into clothes that I buy and not stock up. These Uniqlo jeans are pretty much perfect, picked up the dark wash. Should I get the other colors? Still want a washed pair of denim. If I had to nitpick the inseam could be a tad shorter, there is just enough length to upturn the hem maybe half an inch I think.

If you remember a few months back I said I tried on the jeans in store. Likely the wrong jeans that were tagged incorrectly if I remember the fit correctly now. Order online is probably best bet for these Uniqlo straight fit with a taper.

Thanks for reporting back. I tried out the uniqlo jeans, but think I went one size too small. I’m probably gonna try again and go slightly bigger in the waist. I’ve come to the realization that I just need to size up in the waist to get my thighs to fit and either get the waist taken in or just deal with them being a little loose.

I also grabbed a pair of LVC 501s (1954 I think?), and a pair of orSlow so I’m hoping one of those work out too.

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A follow up:

Ended up trying out jeans from Drake's from current season, the thinner denim of the two available. Make was nice in hand but the fit would be more favorable if the inseam came in at different lengths. Would have kept likely if the jeans came with 30" inseam. Could have taken them to local Self Edge to have the jeans hemmed to right length but did not think it was worth all the trouble in the end. I do not think I am receptive to breaking in a pair of raw denim again after so long ago. I also felt the particular pattern was too intentional. The front rise is really high and I was afraid to get little wear out of the jeans since it fit so specifically to a certain look. I'll give it to Drake's for nice stock photos, still love what they're all about ( @dieworkwear, keep up the good fight).

How tall are you?

About to pull the trigger on them but I wonder if the size 33 or 34 will be too short on me at 6'3.
Going for just a no break.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Looking for a burnt orange, umber, ocher, etc. cord shirt. Not shirtjack, but normal button up. Anyone know of such a beast?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads