• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am feeling the urge to get an engineer boot. Maybe from Viberg. Hmmmm..... ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But should one get brown or black? Brown CXL is nice....

Mister Freedom's Road Champs are painted with three coats on the top, and then the color underneath reveals itself over time. The boots end up in this dirty looking black/ brown color. I have a pair and like them, although admit I don't really wear engineer boots that much anymore. They're a bit clunky and you have to commit to a certain Inspiration LA type look. Otherwise, I find service boots to be a bit more versatile/ easier to wear.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mister Freedom's Road Champs are painted with three coats on the top, and then the color underneath reveals itself over time. The boots end up in this dirty looking black/ brown color. I have a pair and like them, although admit I don't really wear engineer boots that much anymore. They're a bit clunky and you have to commit to a certain Inspiration LA type look. Otherwise, I find service boots to be a bit more versatile/ easier to wear.

View attachment 1238575

I dunno. I kinda feel as though it would be possible to do engineer boots with orslow basics and m65s etc without it being biker or gold rush.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dunno. I kinda feel as though it would be possible to do engineer boots with orslow basics and m65s etc without it being biker or gold rush.

Yea, that would work too.

Maybe I'm being unfair. Some of my most worn boots are Kapital side zips. With the hem covering the shoes, they don't look that different from engineer boots, minus the hefty silhouette.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gettoasty I really hope the softer fabrics for that coat make it to production. The melange on Lemaire webstore is gorgeous but looks ridiculously stiff and is messing with the lapel roll too

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. Sat on Need for a while at ~1400 and had me wishing I didn’t pick up the kaftan already that season.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's going to be 90 later this week still. :plain:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sat on that camoshita duffle for the entire nmwa archive sale...ugh maybe i should have bought it after all.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sat on that camoshita duffle for the entire nmwa archive sale...ugh maybe i should have bought it after all.
Not to make you feel worse: I have it and it is amazing. I can’t believe a FSR made it through the physical archive sale. Nobody gave a ****.

michaellosauro

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a duffle coat and hoping to get some feedback. Which model do you like better? "Neither" and "look at this model instead" are also welcomed answers.

First up is Gloverall Monty, one of the originals. I like that it's oversized, but I don't know how I feel about that square-shaped throatlatch, which sticks out awkwardly at the neck when the coat is worn open. (And I'll always wear this open)

View attachment 1238224

View attachment 1238225

The other option is Phigvel. I like that this does away with the throatlatch, but keeps the asymmetric toggle closure. On some duffles, the toggles are centered on the body and I think they look better a little offset.

The biggest difference I see, though, is that this one has a collar and "lapels." The Monty, on the other hand, is just a hood. I feel like, when the coat is worn without a scarf, this collar and lapel combo might look more interesting. On the second photo above, the Monty looks a bit bare.

The downside is that the coat is slimmer and shorter. Comparing measurements, the Phigvel is about 2 inches slimmer through the body (all around) and about two inches shorter too. I can't size up, as there isn't one available. FWIW, it's still roomy-ish in the body for me, just not as roomy.

View attachment 1238227

I think the brown version above looks better, partly because the toggles are in a contrast color. But for comparison, this navy one ... doesn't look as good. Figured I'd throw it in for fair comparison.

View attachment 1238226

Thoughts on which looks better?
My personal taste leans toward the Gloverall. I actually purchased a navy Monty off of Grailed last week. It's arriving tomorrow.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for Leder's duffles

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads