• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@gettoasty
I haven’t worn jeans in years due to lifting and not being able to find a pair that fit comfortably. Saw that Uniqlo had the new regular tapered on sale for 10 dollars (!) so I ordered two pairs in length 34” in different colors. Can also report back how they fit.

Those are the normal regular fits most likely. The update cuts were a new addition recently. Their website is awful at that.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m going to toss out a suggestion. I have two pairs of Anglo-Italian jeans and love them (light wash and white). Similar cut to the 107s but more room in the thigh. I found the 107s too slim and these fit really well. I like them so much I’ll probably get the dark wash once it’s restocked.

What size you take in Anglo jeans?

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the normal regular fits most likely. The update cuts were a new addition recently. Their website is awful at that.

Oh well, you are right.
Don't understand why the mobile site doesn't let you see the measurements.
Hoping they're gonna get the tapered fit with a longer inseam. Looks too short for me.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh well, you are right.
Don't understand why the mobile site doesn't let you see the measurements.
Hoping they're gonna get the tapered fit with a longer inseam. Looks too short for me.

Yea inseam is short for sure. I got my taken in even more by Uniqlo and thought they were too short when they arrived. But after a few wears the just touch of a break works for me.

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
I've been looking for a minimal shearling double rider for ages and this one is as close as I've found to what I want. Only real wishes are that it were brown, had no pocket zips, and maybe had a throat latch buckle. Apparently Sandro did one more like that in fw2017, but I haven't been able to find one online just yet.

https://www.g-railed.com/listings/9280494-Sandro-Grey-Leather-Shearling-Jacket

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a duffle coat and hoping to get some feedback. Which model do you like better? "Neither" and "look at this model instead" are also welcomed answers.

First up is Gloverall Monty, one of the originals. I like that it's oversized, but I don't know how I feel about that square-shaped throatlatch, which sticks out awkwardly at the neck when the coat is worn open. (And I'll always wear this open)

The other option is Phigvel. I like that this does away with the throatlatch, but keeps the asymmetric toggle closure. On some duffles, the toggles are centered on the body and I think they look better a little offset.

The biggest difference I see, though, is that this one has a collar and "lapels." The Monty, on the other hand, is just a hood. I feel like, when the coat is worn without a scarf, this collar and lapel combo might look more interesting. On the second photo above, the Monty looks a bit bare.

The downside is that the coat is slimmer and shorter. Comparing measurements, the Phigvel is about 2 inches slimmer through the body (all around) and about two inches shorter too. I can't size up, as there isn't one available. FWIW, it's still roomy-ish in the body for me, just not as roomy.

I think the brown version above looks better, partly because the toggles are in a contrast color. But for comparison, this navy one ... doesn't look as good. Figured I'd throw it in for fair comparison.

Thoughts on which looks better?

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a duffle coat and hoping to get some feedback. Which model do you like better? "Neither" and "look at this model instead" are also welcomed answers.

First up is Gloverall Monty, one of the originals. I like that it's oversized, but I don't know how I feel about that square-shaped throatlatch, which sticks out awkwardly at the neck when the coat is worn open. (And I'll always wear this open)

View attachment 1238224

View attachment 1238225

The other option is Phigvel. I like that this does away with the throatlatch, but keeps the asymmetric toggle closure. On some duffles, the toggles are centered on the body and I think they look better a little offset.

The biggest difference I see, though, is that this one has a collar and "lapels." The Monty, on the other hand, is just a hood. I feel like, when the coat is worn without a scarf, this collar and lapel combo might look more interesting. On the second photo above, the Monty looks a bit bare.

The downside is that the coat is slimmer and shorter. Comparing measurements, the Phigvel is about 2 inches slimmer through the body (all around) and about two inches shorter too. I can't size up, as there isn't one available. FWIW, it's still roomy-ish in the body for me, just not as roomy.

View attachment 1238227

I think the brown version above looks better, partly because the toggles are in a contrast color. But for comparison, this navy one ... doesn't look as good. Figured I'd throw it in for fair comparison.

View attachment 1238226

Depends on what your wearing it with. Casual CM? Go Phigvel. SWD? Gloverall.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Gloverall works for CM as well. All in all, I like the Gloverall much more. It seems more versatile and I just like the silhouette more.

I agree, it would work. But, given the choice, I think the Phigvel is even better for a CM fit.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1238224

View attachment 1238225

View attachment 1238227

View attachment 1238226

gloverall for sure, or the camoshita mentioned above. i agree that a duffle without a hood doesn't feel like a duffle.

i picked up the harmony duffle from canoe club which i'm pretty happy with. i enjoy the plaid lining and interior pockets versus the traditional unlined duffles. though the inclusion of the throat latch and more centered toggles may not be to your liking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads