• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cant lose with a 5zip. Looks good on basically everyone

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's right. Yeah I didn't understand what the fuss was over that 5-zip (i still don't like it tbh) but the mixxture fit is really good.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's right. Yeah I didn't understand what the fuss was over that 5-zip (i still don't like it tbh) but the mixxture fit is really good.

Always liked marroon red leather and i like the 5 zip.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lelb5924.jpg

Nine Lives Sky Valley jacket

Definitely getting one. Undecided if I want black or khaki.

9l_sky_valley_khaki_large_01-681x1025.jpg

On one hand, I should probably err to get a non-black jacket. On the other hand, it looks amazing in black.

I only sorta like that 5zip fit. I feel like if I saw it in person it would look a little strange. Too boxy through the top given the taper toward the bottom.

michaellosauro

Reaction score
60463.jpg

Birk Boston taupe suede. This color is probably the most versatile for my mainly black, white, and grey wardrobe. Are Birks good or are there better alternatives in a similar price range?
I’ve been thinking of getting a pair in mink suede, but I don’t know how I‘d like the “soft footbed” that it comes with.
0BED33AD-59B9-4182-A9E9-5FC8646CCB46.jpeg

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd argue against the soft footbed purely on a longevity basis...I've heard it doesn't hold up like the original footbed.

I highly recommend the first-season Rick Owens x Birkenstock collaboration. You can get em in the low-$200s if you're lucky. I ended up getting 3 pairs.

JSAN

Reaction score
I was a fool to sell that red horsehide 5-zip. It's not the MRS zippers, it's from the post-Margiela-pre-Galliano era.
Colour as referred to margiela was brick red.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted a hat other than baseball caps or beanies and wasn't sure where to start.

There's EG bucket hats
91007b4b7cd85fe16c8e1f3f97190a01.jpg

and Arpenteur sportive hat
Arpenteur-Outerwear-Sportive-Jacket-Polycotton-Green-620.jpg

But I think the EG won't fit my size 60 head. Is it just me or do these hats look better with EG type outfits (looser fitting pants, collared or banded collared shirts, and some outerwear)? I mainly wear tapered jeans with a 7-7.5" leg opening and sweatspants or Geller Richard pants, would it look out of place with that?

Wider brim hats work better on me. Would fisherman style hats look out of place if I'm not hiking or fishing?
5ac50ee57cb89.jpg

Floppy hats are cool but look a little too #menswear/Pitti Uomo?
941fb6ed50cafd6280c929b50463a3da.jpg

Maybe a wider brim fedora is the best choice? Any suggestions?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bucket hats are easy and work with just about everything. I also don’t think you’d have issues with a floppy hat giving you pitti vibes, it’s all the other pieces that give it the pitti look not the hat.
I’d argue that a fedora is literally never the right choice, even a wide brimmed one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads