• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that navy Valstar and love it. I have the camel as well and may pick up the sage version this sale season.

cbusguy

Reaction score
I had a different experience with the Valstar suede trucker. I did not like the silhouette on me (taking my typical size) and thought the make was merely average. Ymmv, of course. I returned it despite buying it at a substantially discounted price.

i did't like the fit of it on me and returned it too. it was too short and boxy. i needed it to be slimmer and longer

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you - there are plenty of jackets I like on other people, but they just don't work for me. Especially anything with narrow shoulders or that is really cropped.

For what it is worth, Valstar has two different fits for their trucker - regular and slim. I have both.

yunBW

Reaction score
Looking for some brand suggestions for some comfortable loafer that accommodate high instep and slight wide feet.

Currently my Carlos santos loafer hurts a lot after wear for a while and always give me blister even though I give quite some time to break in. So I was thinking about the loafer from Gucci as the leather is soft and sole is flexible, but It never goes on sale.

Thank you

EDIT: I really value the comfort a lot more because I have to stay in studio for a long period and there are a lot of times I’ll be walking around. So something somewhat formalish and presentable while being comfortable. Also, I’m not restricted to shoemaker brands only, as my style is slightly more “streetwear” than classic men wear

Last edited:

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some brand suggestions for some comfortable loafer that accommodate high instep and slight wide feet.

Currently my Carlos santos loafer hurts a lot after wear for a while and always give me blister even though I give quite some time to break in. So I was thinking about the loafer from Gucci as the leather is soft and sole is flexible, but It never goes on sale.

I have very similar fit issues. I got these last year and love them. I sized down 1 full from my US size.

https://www.carminashoemaker.us/mens-loafers/penny-loafers-tobacco-suede-80579

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the sole comfortable? Because I own the Carmina oxford and it’s quite hard to walk after long day.

Yes. They are the flex soles, they are still leather so not as soft as rubber or crepe, but more forgiving and flexible than standard leather soles.

*Edit: The heel is narrow and tight fyi, but I think this is a good thing in a loafer, especially in unlined suede.

Last edited:

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting these Rising Star 1s to wear with Schneider. Old Response Trails are another option but not sure they'd work. Having a hard time finding new sneakers.

412429_mrp_fr_l.jpg

h54eccaf7e6d81.jpg

Also tempted by these Pradas:
http%3A%2F%2Fs3.store.hypebeast.com%2Fmedia%2Fimage%2F00%2F42%2FShoes_2_1-c55611e1c3b663d208ac3ad89fb1.jpg

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can do Schneider with a raf style sensibility and rock those kinds of sneakers. I was thinking about it but I wasn't sure if I could pull it off both from a personality sense and from my own stylistic sense

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting these Rising Star 1s to wear with Schneider. Old Response Trails are another option but not sure they'd work. Having a hard time finding new sneakers.

412429_mrp_fr_l.jpg

h54eccaf7e6d81.jpg

Also tempted by these Pradas:
http%3A%2F%2Fs3.store.hypebeast.com%2Fmedia%2Fimage%2F00%2F42%2FShoes_2_1-c55611e1c3b663d208ac3ad89fb1.jpg

Go for it. I like #1 the best. Raf's chunky sneakers (esp. Rising Stars and Osweegos) are still better than any chunky sneaker that's come since.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Response trails are rad but if you can find one of the other colours I think it would work better. Black/red/blue?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
bear with me on this one.

ochre or charcoal for a pair of pajamas?

fwiw, i was thinking white piping on both.

RFZ8083.jpg
RFZ8097.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics