• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DDugoff has a few very cool ones this season (only on his webstore). We got a neat one (solid though) from Document

This is a "where can I find" more than a "Should I buy" question, but this still seems like the best place for those questions.

Does anybody know where to find a knitted long sleeve 'polo' like this?
This one is pretty much perfect but there are no size 5/XLs otherwise I would have already bought it.
I figured it would be something I could find from Lanvin, Margiela, Tom Ford and the like but I didn't come across anything. There are plenty of solid colour, pique cotton options (sunspel etc) but I want something pretty louche.
Maybe I'm searching the wrong things though? I looked for LS Polo, Resort Shirt, Knitted shirt.... is there a more specific name for this type of thing?
Full button front, knitted, pref silk...
I would be wearing it a lot more slouchy than this is styled, probably never buttoned

30530-2of_1524683970-1_1524863908.jpg

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@gdl203
Thanks!
Looks like all the ddugoff is sold out though. Do Document ever do patterned/printed versions? The XL in that solid colour is sold out as well anyway.

yunBW

Reaction score
My mind says no but my heart says yes:

181997M177004_2.jpg

Anyone seen any of the CK20...whatever stuff in person?
I have seen some of the collection in person, and one person wore similar print in yellow for the Denim. Seem really cool. I really love the trouser and boots for their collection. The quality feels solid. The SS shirt feels too tacky or cheap due to the material used

As for the jacket, I would say skip. The print is a bit too much

yunBW

Reaction score
F41DE673-C896-4A12-9FAE-9E44015D0E93.png
F5F60D08-A827-4BEB-8E59-C932372F32C3.jpeg

Want to get a comfy loafer/slip on over the summer and I feel Belgian loafer fits my criteria. I know both brands are quite known in the forum. I wonder which one should I go for in term of quality-price ratio?

Thank you

White Lotus

Reaction score
View attachment 978823 View attachment 978824
Want to get a comfy loafer/slip on over the summer and I feel Belgian loafer fits my criteria. I know both brands are quite known in the forum. I wonder which one should I go for in term of quality-price ratio?

Thank you
I lile the first one in terms of color and texture but i like the design for the 2nd one. Leaning more towards the first.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@White Lotus -- better off with Gap, current or past. I'm not being disingenuous.

@yunBW Frankly, I think you're asking the wrong question, since I'm guessing the quality on both is similar, and it doesn't even matter in the same way that it does for true CM things. Get the one that suits what you wear most. I like the second, but only because I imagine you'd have to have a very strong sense of your own style/way of composing what you wear to make velvet loafers shine (figuratively, of course).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a m65 jacket. Opinions on the Epaulet one?

View attachment 978963

I don't really know anything about the one from Epaulet, but I have one from Ralph Lauren I really like. It has a much slouchier, more relaxed, and rounded silhouette than the M65/ M43s I've owned from Aspesi and various Japanese brands, which are squarer/ slimmer fitting by comparison. Also has some really nice detailing, like washed fabric/ puckered seams and drawstring waist.

They make a billion of them though, and every season there's a new one. Mine looks like the photo below (although I think mine doesn't have epaulets). You can find it sometimes on eBay if you just search for "Ralph Lauren field jacket." But many times, they'll introduce something into their collection with overdone patches and hokey details. If you can find a simple one, I think the cut of the silhouette is really nice.

IMO, these workwear/ military styles often look better when they're relaxed. And the M43/ M65 esp when it has a rounded body and slightly dropped shoulder seam. (Kind of the reason why I don't like the Visvim one, even if it looks awesome on Hiroki. The shoulders are narrow and the jacket has an almost A-frame silhouette, which seems weird on such a short piece of outerwear).

pPOLO2-24274742_lifestyle_v400.jpg

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's something wrong with the Epaulet one.. maybe because it's too tailored and the front flap pockets are too much (or maybe these look best washed and worn)? But I've come across a ton of military field jackets and the best ones are just the original standard issue ones, they usually have a lot of wear (maybe even some cool repairs) and just look cool. Other than that, I really like the Apolis one made a bit ago and came across this Boglioli one that's my favorite. They got the fit perfect on it, as it's a tagged 38 but is big as they should be!

IMG_20180205_174214.jpg

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a "where can I find" more than a "Should I buy" question, but this still seems like the best place for those questions.

Does anybody know where to find a knitted long sleeve 'polo' like this?
This one is pretty much perfect but there are no size 5/XLs otherwise I would have already bought it.
I figured it would be something I could find from Lanvin, Margiela, Tom Ford and the like but I didn't come across anything. There are plenty of solid colour, pique cotton options (sunspel etc) but I want something pretty louche.
Maybe I'm searching the wrong things though? I looked for LS Polo, Resort Shirt, Knitted shirt.... is there a more specific name for this type of thing?
Full button front, knitted, pref silk...
I would be wearing it a lot more slouchy than this is styled, probably never buttoned

30530-2of_1524683970-1_1524863908.jpg

NMWA Document, not silk though

White Lotus

Reaction score
I don't really know anything about the one from Epaulet, but I have one from Ralph Lauren I really like. It has a much slouchier, more relaxed, and rounded silhouette than the M65/ M43s I've owned from Aspesi and various Japanese brands, which are squarer/ slimmer fitting by comparison. Also has some really nice detailing, like washed fabric/ puckered seams and drawstring waist.

They make a billion of them though, and every season there's a new one. Mine looks like the photo below (although I think mine doesn't have epaulets). You can find it sometimes on eBay if you just search for "Ralph Lauren field jacket." But many times, they'll introduce something into their collection with overdone patches and hokey details. If you can find a simple one, I think the cut of the silhouette is really nice.

IMO, these workwear/ military styles often look better when they're relaxed. And the M43/ M65 esp when it has a rounded body and slightly dropped shoulder seam. (Kind of the reason why I don't like the Visvim one, even if it looks awesome on Hiroki. The shoulders are narrow and the jacket has an almost A-frame silhouette, which seems weird on such a short piece of outerwear).

View attachment 979155

Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into RL and other brands for that slouchier m65 fit.

The Classical

Reaction score
For an unlined, summer shoe - would be used for some city walking (though I'll take sturdier shoes too) and some sitting around beaches:
coraux_america_31.jpg

My only worry would be durability/general usefulness of a moc loafer, it seems a less common style?

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised they’re Paraboot. Really ugly IMO. Look at Viberg, Christian Kimber, Moto Japan, JM Weston, 2120, or the loafers at the top of this page for possibly nicer styles.

The Classical

Reaction score
They're not the most attractive shoe in the world, that's true, but their rubber sole and more rugged leather would be useful in my city, which is full of cobbles and rain. I'm not generally a fan of the cleaner/non-strap/belgian style that you like, unfortunately.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case, unless unlined is a must, I’d still suggest other Paraboot loafers, JM Weston, Vilasca, Beckett Simonon, Aldens or Christian Kimbers with a topy, etc., over those particular shoes. They look like really bad Cole Haans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads