• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the rest of your look but the last one is probably my favorite. Maybe in the color of the second?

ctttt777

Reaction score
Depends on the rest of your look but the last one is probably my favorite. Maybe in the color of the second?

thanks for the suggestion, I plan to wear it with grey or brown chino, pair with Common projects or Converse in black/white for shoes.

I've never worn shealing before and I'm thinking about the CM style, although I'm not very sure whether the quality of Mr P can support that.

DoctorDisco

Reaction score
495235500_54c28865-60d7-403e-964a-9e77299faa6b.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely

The_Shooter

Reaction score
View attachment 1822189

as someone who loves colour and slightly unusual design, I am really liking this cotton-linen set-up, now at a very good price... but should I?

would this be worn with any frequency?

doesn’t seem very versatile, and for most it would be difficult to pull off.

I like the thought behind it, a modern take on a more classic jacket. But you need to have a certain look to pull this off, and it is so standoutish/novelty that it would be tough to wear numerous times.

the jacket has some versatility. I actually think you could get use out of the jacket in normal settings. But for anybody over 25 those pants would look funny.

Last edited:

acconrad

Reaction score
2 items I keep circling around.

context: I’m a mid 30s dad in tech. Athletic build.

1. madras ls button down shirt. I love the idea but given my wardrobe is solidly gray, navy, cream, brown, it’ll stick out - on a broad chest which doesn’t need any more attention drawn to it. I also legitimately only see myself being able to wear it x3 a year in the summers going out to eat or at a barbecue. And I’m not going to wear it out every time so I can’t really see myself wearing it all that often even though I’d like to.

2. Loro Piana chocolate brown mock neck cashmere sweater. Versatile color, I’ll wear cashmere, and thin sweaters fit my frame well - plus I have a long neck. I see myself wearing it under a blazer at a Xmas party and just on any cold day over a tshirt. But I feel like mock neck is like a denim or leather jacket - not everyone can pull it off but they romanticize in their head that they can.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. madras ls button down shirt. I love the idea but given my wardrobe is solidly gray, navy, cream, brown, it’ll stick out - on a broad chest which doesn’t need any more attention drawn to it. I also legitimately only see myself being able to wear it x3 a year in the summers going out to eat or at a barbecue. And I’m not going to wear it out every time so I can’t really see myself wearing it all that often even though I’d like to.

2. Loro Piana chocolate brown mock neck cashmere sweater. Versatile color, I’ll wear cashmere, and thin sweaters fit my frame well - plus I have a long neck. I see myself wearing it under a blazer at a Xmas party and just on any cold day over a tshirt. But I feel like mock neck is like a denim or leather jacket - not everyone can pull it off but they romanticize in their head that they can.
Stop circling and just do it. Who cares if they’re versatile or not if you enjoy them? Anyone can pull off a mock neck, but I also think anyone can pull off a denim jacket. I think you’re overthinking it.

aswan

Reaction score

...on a broad chest which doesn’t need any more attention drawn to it.

Acting like a madras shirt is controversial or too attention-seeking sounds like you stumbled over to the wrong side of the forum. And if you don't want to wear the same one every time you go to a BBQ, buy two--you work in tech, not like you can't afford it.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You could buy a tame navy madras check to try out the style. Wouldn't be that different from the blue gingham shirts that were super popular a couple years ago so you could wear it in the office I bet.

As examples:

BlakeRVA

Reaction score

Sounds like we have a similar physique. I used to have a Madras shirt, but the countless women who would fixate on my Adonis build while wearing it was insufferable. Same thing with mock necks. They shortened my neck and more colleagues began realizing how chiseled my jawline is. I’ve learned to avoid anything besides solid colored shirts and crew necks.

The_Shooter

Reaction score

if you wear a blazer or sports coat with the cashmere mock neck, it will work.
the full turtle neck is a real presence and stands out.
the mock can look a little standoutish on its own, but with a jacket it’s doable.

good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads