• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I’m not really into Ivy style. But I’m still looking a way to blend CM pieces into my daily wearing while not standing out too much in people mostly wearing tees. I wear sport coats/ Harrington or chore coat with slacks or chinos. Carlos Castillo, the owner of Man1924, is someone I’d learn from. I like how he matches his SC and different slacks as well as NB sneakers. His looks also inspired me about how to work CM garments in a more casual environment.
Not sure if this style counts as Ivy, and if the patchwork jacket works with my closet?
I usually wear sport coats/ chore coat or some light jacket with shirts and blue/ beige/ gray slacks or chinos.
Thanks!

Wonderful info, super helpful. I think patchwork can def work with what you indicated, but perhaps not this particular piece.

I'd probably stick to a more interesting or classic outerwear option, and get a patchwork shirt or overshirt. That was you can wear it with jackets and sport coats, sneakers and shoes. More combos, and can be worn in a number of ways for you.

Looking at Carlos Castillo's fits, which are great, I think you should be looking into Beams+ and Drake's for more inspo on madras: https://www.drakes.com/editorial/the-magic-of-madras/

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jay.C

Reaction score
Wonderful info, super helpful. I think patchwork can def work with what you indicated, but perhaps not this particular piece.

I'd probably stick to a more interesting or classic outerwear option, and get a patchwork shirt or overshirt. That was you can wear it with jackets and sport coats, sneakers and shoes. More combos, and can be worn in a number of ways for you.

Looking at Carlos Castillo's fits, which are great, I think you should be looking into Beams+ and Drake's for more inspo on madras: https://www.drakes.com/editorial/the-magic-of-madras/

Thanks! I'll do some more research on madras items. One of the reason why I even consider that madras G4 was I saw there're more and more madras items launch recently. That madras G4 would look like a fun warm weather jacket tho.
I've also picked up several items from Drake's. They are really refined garments and no regrets on those purchase.

Noah has a patchwork G9 collab with Baracuta, which lends its itself to less on the nose preppy wear.

The Noah piece veers more into a preppy streetwear realm the same way ALD clothing often does or the way Polo RL can be appropriated by streetwear culture.

https://noahny.com/products/madras-...ZqaiTFkJnqrAAqoQ-U6xrJtM1IREyuKkaApFUEALw_wcB

Thanks for your input!
I also saw the Noah collab. But the neon-ish color way is beyond my creativity. However, I see some interesting items from Noah and Rowing Blazers (not sure if I'll offend anyone by putting these two brands together. But they share some same feature IMO.) Would like to try some of their items sometime.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to get some basic beater slip-ons. Are Vans still the go to version or should I look into other options?

VN000EYEBLK-HERO.jpeg
images (2).jpeg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much better are the Vault versions? Worth it?

product_xlarge (2).jpg

product_xlarge (3).jpg

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they are different in any major way but I do love my Nigel Cabourn Vans Vault Collab. I honestly wear them so much I often consider getting a second pair.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to get some basic beater slip-ons. Are Vans still the go to version or should I look into other options?

View attachment 1797312 View attachment 1797313
Todd Snyder has a few color ways in Vans in stock.
Usually when he collabs, he luxes them up.
I bought a pair of Converse awhile ago, and the insole he used is insanely comfortable.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shiny off white sole alert!

When it comes to classic sneakers I find anything that deviates from the 'original' deeply annoying for some reason. I don't feel that way about any other items of clothing so it's completely irrational and stupid but here we are.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads