• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hold up - did you read my whole post? I go on to say I realized my old point of view was very hypocritical (and with that, flawed). It’s how I saw things over a decade ago.

Yeah, but the point is, it's not hypocritical! I mean, your old point of view maybe was, but you still say that you hypocritically settle. It's not!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there's a large enough pool out there now of "good" sounding ( however you wish to define that ) headphones that I don't think it's outlandish to narrow that field down to something that's aesthetically pleasing...

jmiller123

Reaction score
Looking for a more directional belt to accompany my plain old brown CXL one I currently have.

screen-shot-2022-01-17-at-2-48-05-pm-png.1738536
Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 10.42.16 PM.png
Belts_RL_Valet28_1000x.jpg

Does anyone have a preference of the three?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 2.48.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 2.48.05 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 278
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 10.42.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 10.42.16 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 2

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking for a more directional belt to accompany my plain old brown CXL one I currently have.

screen-shot-2022-01-17-at-2-48-05-pm-png.1738536
View attachment 1738538 View attachment 1738539
Does anyone have a preference of the three?

Of the three you posted, I like the second one best. However, if the first one was a little narrower, I think I would like that best.

FWIW, I find that my buckles similar to 1 and 3 scratch up thin t-shirts and put holes into them. Whereas belt buckles with very rounded corners, such as number 2 in your list, don't. It might be just my specific belt buckles, but this has happened to me with three or four of them. Only happens with very thin tees, not thicker tees like Hanes, and certainly not woven shirts.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
If the third one wasn't braided I'd go for that. Personally I'm of the mind that thinner and lighter belts with a western buckle look more authentic, will be more comfortable right away, and will make you look less like you're trying.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't imagine how exhausting life would be if you insisted on the 'best' of everything. Optimization is a fool's errand and not something to be aspired to as far as I'm concerned.
As a fool of the sort you describe, I can confirm that I am indeed tired all the time.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of zipped cardigans (especially when they are on the thin side, don't mind them so much on a big heavy gauge thing where the zipper is overpowered and sorta disappears in the chunk). Also the zipper running all the way up is mostly useless and cold against your neck and if you have a beard it'll get caught in it. And that's a one way zipper? Strike 3.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@justridiculous
I got the same sweater (in black though) last year, and really like it + wear it a lot. The quality is fantastic. Its not the softest wool, but soft enough to wear over a t-shirt. I like the high neck for cold weather. Only thing I would change is the one-way zipper as @sipang pointed out.

edit: its heavy (not a thin cardigan)

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the non-cardigan version of that SNS Herning sweater and it's definitely not thin at all (nor are any of my other Herning sweaters). The point about the lack of the two-way zipper is fair but I'd probably just wear it open most of the time anyway. I'm a pretty big fan of the brand. Really solidly made sweaters that aren't completely boring or absurdly expensive. That said if you aren't sure about the zipped look, their Stark cardigans are a good alternative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads