• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear a hearing aid, so audio quality means jack **** to me. Seriously. This is all about aesthetic style here. I've already tried them on and really do like the fit, too. So that's a plus.

These colorways are a limited edition.

If we're just talking about aesthetics, I think Grado Labs' headphones look better (pictured below). But if we're just talking about the color between the two photos you posted, I like the black ones better.

Hero-SR60x-Book-Tablet.jpeg

domdomdomdom

Reaction score
If we're just talking about aesthetics, I think Grado Labs' headphones look better (pictured below). But if we're just talking about the color between the two photos you posted, I like the black ones better.

View attachment 1737736

depending on his lifestyle, open back headphones might not be the best option. I’d go with a pair of Sony WH-1000XM4 as a better layperson level replacement for beats

if aesthetics is the only worry, maybe master and dynamics mw65s are worth checking out

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If aesthetic is the only worry, I would get blue tooth headphones since it is discreet and not obtrusive. The sound quality when you are out and about is generally dog **** anyway. Dre's have mediocre sound quality for the price too.

However, I'm not sure why you are on this thread, you generally buy everything you want even against anyone's recommendation.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These are the present market leaders for noise-canceling:

I have a pair (wearing them now). Frankly, I think the XM4 is a step down from the XM3, which you can find for cheaper now. That said, both have served me for a couple years now and I think they have a sleek design.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black. Although marron is nice, had a pair 10 years ago but my feet changed..

Black could be pretty cool actually. Only worried that they will feel out of place with non black/grey fits... Maybe Cafe/dark brown is most usable?

Black looks ace here though:

6074627d15ead2cdc4b3270e52537b38.jpeg

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noise cancelling, stereo, etc. all means squat to me. I hear in mono regardless.

Anyway, I've always like the Aedle VK-1 Legacy Edition headphones aesthetically.

61fKpfkGlKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61cWalR2FeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

verver

Reaction score
It’s ridiculous to buy headphones based on aesthetics. Even for stylefarmer standards. Would look out of place w ur so and so fit? Gtfo

Edit- this came across as harsh. I’m half kidding. But also half serious

Last edited:

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s ridiculous to buy headphones based on aesthetics. Even for stylefarmer standards. Would look out of place w ur so and so fit? Gtfo

Edit- this came across as harsh. I’m half kidding. But also half serious

I disagree. Would you say the same about sunglasses? Or hats? They both also help protect/enhance your vision (i.e. billed hat in the sun).

Here's me in black Beats Studio 3s, a slim headphone. And wearing some big, bulky white gamer ****. Clearly the Beats wear better.

IMG_7936.jpg

IMG_7934.jpg

Last edited:

verver

Reaction score
Sunglasses and hats r clearly clothing accessories. So aesthetics matter. Headphone r for listening to music, in high fidelity. Usually not part of clothing accessories in any shop. But I see ur point. It’s just I would choose headphones based on sound quality first.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jaaz16

Reaction score
I’m going to take a somewhat radical/contrarian position and say aesthetics vastly outweigh sound “quality”, however defined. A friend of mine leads the consumer research for a major headphone maker and for how most of us actually use headphones, differences in sound quality are marginal to the point of irrelevant. Like if I use headphones only for background music while I study or only when I exercise, the relative depth of the bass or clarity of the treble of whatever the hell matters is just not relevant for how most people engage with music.

To be clear I totally understand that some headphones have better quality audio than others. And I support if that’s how you make your decision! I’m adding that I don’t think that matters for how most people are actually using them (they use headphones a specific purpose rather than “I want to really feel this music in all its glory as the artist intended!”)

So all that said I value how it physically fits in/over my ears + whatever my friend gets me a discount on more than whatever has the best sound quality.

Go with the black if you go with the Beats.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Hard disagree on headphones being 100% about sound quality.

While most people can tell the difference between different tiers ($50 vs $150 vs $250 vs $600+) they don't care enough to make a choice based purely on utility and sound quality within those tiers. They wouldn't even have the language if they wanted to.

I guess what I'm saying is: most people will buy the best-looking headphones for the "good enough" sound quality their budget will afford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads