• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I think if you're gonna wear that jacket, might as well be a F U red color and go all out.
Kinda inclined to agree. I love it but it’s a big departure for me in terms of colour. Just being a coward basically.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orange > red for sure for FU outerwear

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have that jacket in blue and like it. Don't have a strong opinion about red outerwear, but if you're going to wear bright red as outerwear, it's probably easier in that design given that it's a somewhat classic choice for that style.

A friend of mine recently sent me a photo of himself wearing a bright red retro-styled down parka with tan Carhartt double-knee pants, a red flannel shirt, and brown boots. I thought the outfit looked good.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I have that jacket in blue and like it. Don't have a strong opinion about red outerwear, but if you're going to wear bright red as outerwear, it's probably easier in that design given that it's a somewhat classic choice for that style.

A friend of mine recently sent me a photo of himself wearing a bright red retro-styled down parka with tan Carhartt double-knee pants, a red flannel shirt, and brown boots. I thought the outfit looked good.
Yeh I think you have to lean quite heavily into that style don’t you.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Kinda inclined to agree. I love it but it’s a big departure for me in terms of colour. Just being a coward basically.

Red is a pretty regular colour for puffy outerwear, dunno why people here are confusing a general idea about hues and actual, historical use of colours for various items and garments and their ensuing socially learned perception. Yellow rain boots might use a colour generally seen as flashy but they're pretty normal items due to the history of fuckig rain boots production and usage. Same with your puffy jacket, colour is pretty regular...,.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difficult question to answer. Why is grey a better color for a suit than red? Why is brown a better color for shoes than green? Each of those colors are fine on their own but not always great for that specific function. I think parkas and down jackets look a lot better in orange than red, if one wants a strong color. Just a subjective aesthetic opinion… nothing more analytical or documented than that

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Difficult question to answer. Why is grey a better color for a suit than red? Why is brown a better color for shoes than green? Each of those colors are fine on their own but not always great for that specific function. I think parkas and down jackets look a lot better in orange than red, if one wants a strong color. Just a subjective aesthetic opinion… nothing more analytical or documented than that

Dark green puffers look pretty good to me but I guess it depends on style, skin tone, etc. so it is a meaningless generalisation. Closest stuff I have to that style is a cameraman in two shades of blue and a craig green in dark green, they're not down though so different beast.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dark green puffers look pretty good to me but I guess it depends on style, skin tone, etc. so it is a meaningless generalisation. Closest stuff I have to that style is a cameraman in two shades of blue and a craig green in dark green, they're not down though so different beast.
Yea I was simply commenting on FU colors. The bold stuff. Green, blue, all seem inconspicuous for outerwear. Great colors of course, but no so much of a statement than red (at least in my perspective, you seem to think red is also pretty common for puffer but I only see red outerwear on ski slopes).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Yea I was simply commenting on FU colors. The bold stuff. Green, blue, all seem inconspicuous for outerwear. Great colors of course, but no so much of a statement than red (at least in my perspective, you seem to think red is also pretty common for puffer but I only see red outerwear on ski slopes).

Isn't that stuff pretty much mountaineering or ski stuff or its direct successor anyway?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that stuff pretty much mountaineering or ski stuff or its direct successor anyway?
Yes of course but some of it translates better to non-ski use, I feel, while others stay confined to the slopes. It’s easier to wear a ski parka in a neutral color in town than the turquoise or magenta one.

A lot of outerwear and parkas i see in urban settings seem to be coming either from military backgrounds (Olive, black, sand, even camo), from workwear (blues, tans, yellow), from hunting/fishing (green, brown, safety orange), from sports (team colors, lots of black) or more recently for last 10-15 years from vintage historical expedition stuff thanks to Cabourn really (indigo, beige, orange). I feel orange parkas work well in that context or in that “safety orange” context. Just my read

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My puffer is orange (Cabourn) so that's that.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah tbh when I replied "good point" to the orange>red comment Greg made it was only because I started picturing the orange coats/jackets I had seen and really liked, nothing really more objective than that. I've been stuck on the idea of orange parkas recently myself.

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'orange is a better fu color than red'

1638632461343.png

(I like orange more)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads