• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own two pairs and am a fan––they are a strange shoe in that they are perhaps too "formal" to work with casual pants but they also have thick rubber soles and other details that make them a little too "doc marten like" to be a straight swap for a pair of actual dress shoes.
Those "Doc Marten" like details are part of their Norwegian stitch, that makes those shoes quite appropriate for wet weather, same as the ones from Heschung, another quality French shoe and boots brand.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current leather shoe wardrobe:

Thinking of getting some Paraboot Michaels, but unsure about the color. Considering:

Interested in what people would pick, but especially interested in the why: how do you go about picking shoe color in a casual wardrobe?

In this case:
  • I'm excluding black because I'd like my next black shoe to be slimmer, either a side-zip or a loafer of some kind.
  • I'm excluding brighter browns: I already have trouble wearing those Buttero Floyd I've included in the list. They are almost tan, quite saturated, surprisingly hard to include in an outfit.
  • I think all options I'm considering could work ?? hard to go wrong. Leaning towards Lisse marron (because of the reddish color) or Bison (because I don't have a grained shoe).

Ha, that's my pic of my old buttero back zips in the top right. They're off with @conceptual 4est in Japan now ?

Also, I just got a pair of the brown bisons. They are sick. Get the bison, such a dope grain pattern.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is fate. Bison it is.

Yeah man, the grain is sooo good.

20211118_135015.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah that one is awesome. Love the pile. I assume it's pretty hard to find?

Pretty easy. Just search eBay for "vintage Patagonia retro fleece" or "vintage Patagonia deep pile fleece." They are more expensive than the modern version though.

Racing Green

Reaction score
I only got one (1) thumb for this and it was from @gdl203 who I suspect is positioned on Patagonia fleeces, so I can't really trust him.

Anyone else want to chime in?

The Patagonia Retro X is a stone cold classic, as DWW said it's akin to Levis 501s. No Uniqlo fleece even a WM collab comes anywhere near it. There are a million versions by almost every brand with the contrast pocket etc but they are all essentially inspired by the Retro X.

abantigen

Reaction score
BF6D6E50-8693-4AEB-A426-3F979C33EEE1.jpeg

I bought that exact fleece recently on a trip to Banff and I love it. It has a polyester lining inside that feels a bit plasticky but it seems to help with keeping it dry from sweat. I reach for it a lot when going for walks around the neighbourhood but that specific colour has a very outdoorsy vibe so I think I would feel a bit self conscious wearing on a subway or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads