• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Jay.C

Reaction score
I have to say, I don't understand what exactly you are looking for and what your boundaries are.

@Jay.C Do you maybe have a reference picture of the kind of coat you're looking for exactly? Vague check pattern aside those 2 are indeed pretty different.

From very general experience... I wouldn't waste my time with Trussardi Jeans which is more than likely cheap diffusion stuff. Dolce & Gabbana mainline is your standard luxury house quality, decently constructed (in Italy last I checked), interesting fabrics occasionally. Nothing shameful, nothing mindblowing and you'll definitely pay a premium for the name. You can probably get a better bang for your buck if you look at other smaller brands, $800 can get you some very nice coats with little compromise, but it'd definitely help to narrow your search to something a bit more specific. On the other hand, if that D&G coat checks all the boxes I don't think it'd necessarily be a terrible choice to try (assuming Yoox returns policy still exists)

Sorry for confusing. My goal is to find a check coat under around or under $1000 to add into my wordable, which is mostly in solid colour. Therefore, the requirement number one is check pattern. In my imaginary usage condition, it would be a thigh length single breasted mac coat that would work well alone around 60 F, the fall/ winter temperature in where I live. For the budget, I wouldn't mind to pay $1000 for a coat that can last me for over a decade, but it's also nice to find a nice piece while saving my bank account some penny.

Certainly, I'd find a wool coat of quality. This is the reason why I'm here, seeking for the wisdom of community. I'm still exploring what style I like, so this would be more like a roving through brands and websites. Maybe I will end up go to my tailor for a bespoke or not buying anything.

Thank you for all comments.

Jay.C

Last edited:

abkain

Reaction score
I’ve always liked that RRL but the Lee looks nice as well. Are you able to order both and just return the one you like least?

I have tried the RRL one (size large) in store and it fit fairly well. Maybe I’ll order the Lee and see how that fits.

I would be a large in the RRL but not sure in the Lee (probably the same).

Thanks for the feedback guys. Kind of a toss up.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for confusing. My goal is to find a check coat under around or under $1000 to add into my wordable, which is mostly in solid colour. Therefore, the requirement number one is check pattern. In my imaginary usage condition, it would be a thigh length single breasted mac coat that would work well alone around 60 F, the fall/ winter temperature in where I live. For the budget, I wouldn't mind to pay $1000 for a coat that can last me for over a decade, but it's also nice to find a nice piece while saving my bank account some penny.

Certainly, I'd find a wool coat of quality. This is the reason why I'm here, seeking for the wisdom of community. I'm still exploring what style I like, so this would be more like a roving through brands and websites. Maybe I will end up go to my tailor for a bespoke or not buying anything.

Thank you for all comments.

Jay.C

Something a little different here, but I was browsing earlier this week and thought it was pretty nice looking.

Jay.C

Reaction score
Something a little different here, but I was browsing earlier this week and thought it was pretty nice looking.

Thanks for your commnet. This is absolutely a beautiful coat. However, it's out of stock in my size (US 44 or 46, depends on the fit.) I'll certainly pay more attention on NMWA. I noticed that they have great reputation here, and I watch their thread from time to time.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
Need some new dad shoes for clowning around with my toddler at the park and going on long walks.

Will be worn with lame normie tech come leisure wear - Lululemon, Reigning Champ, Outdoor Voices... maybe some John Elliot.

On Running Cloud? These are everywhere in NYC now right?

Nike React Element?

New Balance 57/40? XC-72?

Stick to Common Projects and GATs?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Need some new dad shoes for clowning around with my toddler at the park and going on long walks.

Will be worn with lame normie tech come leisure wear - Lululemon, Reigning Champ, Outdoor Voices... maybe some John Elliot.

Nike React Element?

New Balance 990 series, 991 or 992

物の哀れ

Reaction score
New Balance 990 series, 991 or 992

As a millennial, I have trouble getting down with these, even though I've seen lots of fits where they look great.

I like John Elliot's and Common Project's take on the 990.

Just kinda feel bad shelling out for something I'm going to trash.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nike React Element?

I wouldn't get the Nike React Element 87. It looks great but the upper is flimsy and won't keep water/rain or dirt out very well. I've heard people say it was comfortable but I didn't think it was anything special, not as comfortable as my GATs.

Don't really have any shoe recs but I love Birkenstock Bostons. They're comfy and stay on very well for sandals/clogs. I have no problems driving manual transmission with them whereas flip flops and most sandals suck.

I have a toddler too and the ease of slip on/off is fantastic especially when a lot of stuff is going on. I've gone for 2-3 mile walks around the neighborhood with the family in them and haven't had any problems but maybe others might with the fact of it being a sandal?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm also on the fence about the 990 series. It can be too "actual dadcore."

I have Nike React 87s and like them, but I only wear them with no-show socks because of the translucent uppers, which relegates them to spring/ summer outfits.

I've been wearing the ALD x NB 550s, which are kind of a dad shoe. You can find some on StockX for about $220-ish nowadays. New Balance also has a general release 550 for about $100.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
I wish I picked up this take on the 992.

1637541519072.png

Feeling these Zespas, but not very versatile.

1637541572089.png

I love their take on GATs.

1637541608112.png

I should probably just buy these.

1637541933228.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics