• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I been staring at that all week. Personally, there are other kind of jackets I want more right now, but I think it’s a beautiful and fairly versatile transitional piece.
I wasn’t impressed by it initially but now I’m all over it. Which one do you think looks better, brown or kodiak collar?
what other jackets are you looking at?
I’m a big fan of flight jackets and have more than enough lol. I have 2 from Private White the regular and luxe flight, Schott in cowhide & Dehen’s waxed canvas and a cheap one from Bonobos.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jacket looks nice. I think if I were purchasing for myself, I would do the one with the darker brown collar. But I also think the one with the lighter collar looks good.
I’m leaning more towards the darker brown. It looks more cohesive.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Down jackets have never quite worked for me, due to dissatisfaction with the material and cut of most parkas. I know that a lot of people (and especially people here) are making them work, and I’ve bought a couple over the past few years based on fits here, but have always ended up reselling and just sticking with wool overcoats when things get cold. I want to finally switch that up this year, and MAN-TLE’s down-filled blouson caught my eye as an alternative to the standard parka shape. They recently released a collaboration with Evan Kinori on the jacket below, and I wanted to get the perspective of others prior to purchase. EK is expensive, and MAN-TLE is also expensive, and this jacket is therefore quite expensive. Need to be reasonably certain about it before buying.

IMG_0190.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg

gardenvariety

Reaction score
Down jackets have never quite worked for me, due to dissatisfaction with the material and cut of most parkas. I know that a lot of people (and especially people here) are making them work, and I’ve bought a couple over the past few years based on fits here, but have always ended up reselling and just sticking with wool overcoats when things get cold. I want to finally switch that up this year, and MAN-TLE’s down-filled blouson caught my eye as an alternative to the standard parka shape. They recently released a collaboration with Evan Kinori on the jacket below, and I wanted to get the perspective of others prior to purchase. EK is expensive, and MAN-TLE is also expensive, and this jacket is therefore quite expensive. Need to be reasonably certain about it before buying.

View attachment 1693069 View attachment 1693073

IMO depends on what kind of weather you're looking to wear this in and how practical you expect it to be (you wrote that you've been "sticking with wool overcoats when things get cold" so I'm guessing you expect it to be practical in really cold weather?).

I haven't handled any EK clothes but the fact that they're based in SF makes me skeptical of how warm this would be in freezing conditions. The details make me think this is more suited to being a high 30s through low 50s jacket, between the buttons-only closures (prob lets cold wind in easily) and loose shape. But it also depends on the down fill. Does the product page say anything about how warm it is?

The fabric looks beautiful though.

If you're looking for a serious winter down coat, have you considered the Veilance monitor twill ("TW")? The Twill fabric is quieter than regular swishy goretex and looks more textured, but the coat is very water/snowproof while still being very lightweight. IDK the price of this mantle/kinori jacket, obviously the coat i linked isn't cheap either but can be found discounted (I bought mine at something like 60% off).

So in conclusion...maybe. I think it just depends on what conditions you're looking to wear it in.

edit: I also cycled through a bunch of down jackets over the course of a few years looking for a great one. The monitor wasn't as 'interesting' as some of them but was functionally better than most and aesthetically pretty good. I don't see wanting to replace it anytime soon.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO depends on what kind of weather you're looking to wear this in and how practical you expect it to be (you wrote that you've been "sticking with wool overcoats when things get cold" so I'm guessing you expect it to be practical in really cold weather?).

I haven't handled any EK clothes but the fact that they're based in SF makes me skeptical of how warm this would be in freezing conditions. The details make me think this is more suited to being a high 30s through low 50s jacket, between the buttons-only closures (prob lets cold wind in easily) and loose shape. But it also depends on the down fill. Does the product page say anything about how warm it is?

The fabric looks beautiful though.

If you're looking for a serious winter down coat, have you considered the Veilance monitor twill ("TW")? The Twill fabric is quieter than regular swishy goretex and looks more textured, but the coat is very water/snowproof while still being very lightweight. IDK the price of this mantle/kinori jacket, obviously the coat i linked isn't cheap either but can be found discounted (I bought mine at something like 60% off).

So in conclusion...maybe. I think it just depends on what conditions you're looking to wear it in.
Thanks for this - and yes, if it were just an EK piece, then I wouldn't consider it as an option. But it actually seems to be more a MAN-TLE piece than EK. It's one of their perennial styles, but just done up in this tweed rather than the standard waxed cotton. That said, while I know MAN-TLE makes reasonably durable and weather-conscious (whatever that means) coats, and I'd trust them with the functional aspect more than I'd trust EK, I'm uncertain exactly how warm this is. MAN-TLE's website states the following:

90% down mixed with 10% feather [to reduce clumping], this product has a fill-power rating of 850. To show the down's unique colour this garment is lined with a transparent 100% nylon micro-ripstop developed by Toray.

Thanks for the Veilance option, which is pretty comparable in price (and, as you say, could perhaps be had at a discount, whereas EK never goes on sale). I was already considering a Moscow or Bumfreezer, so this provides another great option.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zenosparadox you'd need a specific look to your wardrobe to go with that (i.e. non cotton trousers). If you have it then yea go for it but if not it'd be hard to make it work. With the price I would personally pass since I'm not outdoors in the cold that much and it'd be too warm for me to wear indoors but you may be outside a lot more.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zenosparadox you'd need a specific look to your wardrobe to go with that (i.e. non cotton trousers). If you have it then yea go for it but if not it'd be hard to make it work. With the price I would personally pass since I'm not outdoors in the cold that much and it'd be too warm for me to wear indoors but you may be outside a lot more.
Haha, thanks! This is exactly the kind of feedback I need, as I too am rarely outside, apart from daily walks of a half hour or so.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemaire seamless V sweater. They have it in brown, a khaki and black, but those all seem to droll for my physique and complexion, although I was initially drawn to the brown. I'm pretty sure it's too much red, but there's something exciting about it.

Also I gave up dressing in Lemaire years ago, so this would either have to go with casual European Ivy fits, or else workwear.

1635382283469.png

1635382164948.png

1635382560774.png
1635382405705.png

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the color, hate the cut. I would totally dig some Lemaire but this is a bit meh for me. I have seen some cool V-necks like that by Nicholas Daley with a big turtle neck underneath which I think might make these fits look a lot better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics