• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

PeteyPajamapant

Reaction score
Thanks. I mostly hike in trail runners, but was looking for something that might fare better in light snow. I just figured boots might give a little more ankle support and keep my feet a little drier.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Ok, more looking for options on this one in the sub $400 range.

I came across these and was awestruck by the silhouette and brown suede:
1634054108625.png

Quality looks to be fine, but really, trying to get a service boot. I know the usual suspects (grant stone, etc.) but looking to see if anyone has these, for sizing advice or general review. If you have other suggestions I may not have thought of, let me know. Would a service boot be best in normal leather? (non-roughout?) Any downsides to this boot?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
completely agree. there hasn't been a point yet where i wished i had a pair of hiking boots over trail shoes.

if you want some runners that look good but also kick ass on the technical stuff, i would recommend norda or salomon.

As a runner (on and off-road) and a former hiker (I just don't get the chance these days), I am curious about this. For me, at least, the gait I have when I am running and walking is so different that I can't imagine the trail running shoes I use (oriented towards speed, relatively firm and low drop, made for mid- to forefoot strike - my favourite currently is the no-longer-in-production, Brooks Mazama, designed with Scott Jurek) being much good for long distances hiking with a pack (where I would want something designed for heel striking, with more comfort and ankle support).

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1683917

Quality looks to be fine, but really, trying to get a service boot. I know the usual suspects (grant stone, etc.) but looking to see if anyone has these, for sizing advice or general review. If you have other suggestions I may not have thought of, let me know. Would a service boot be best in normal leather? (non-roughout?) Any downsides to this boot?

Awestruck, really?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a runner (on and off-road) and a former hiker (I just don't get the chance these days), I am curious about this. For me, at least, the gait I have when I am running and walking is so different that I can't imagine the trail running shoes I use (oriented towards speed, relatively firm and low drop, made for mid- to forefoot strike - my favourite currently is the no-longer-in-production, Brooks Mazama, designed with Scott Jurek) being much good for long distances hiking with a pack (where I would want something designed for heel striking, with more comfort and ankle support).

I don't wear low drop shoes. Personally, I'm talking about shoes like Brooks Cascadia, Solomon Speedcross or Ultra, LaSportiva Raptors, Columbia (used to be Montrail) Mountain Masochist, Merrill Moab lows....that sort of thing. I do know people who do long-distance backpacking in more minimalist shoes though.

I've never felt personally that ankle support was an issue. Trail Runners give your ankle the flexibility to work properly, instead of being artificially immobilized by a boot.

If I was hiking with a very heavy pack (say, over 40-50 total pounds) or if I was hiking off trail, I'd switch to boots. But for "normal" backpacking conditions (which, for me, is on-trail, with a total pack weight well under 35 pounds), trail runners are plenty good. I certainly believe there's some truth in the old saying that 1 pound on your feet is like 5 pounds in your pack...lighter footwear is a huge benefit for me.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

fair, i'm not really doing several day hikes with real provisions, more like several hour hikes with a bladder and some snacks. some of these have some tight single track, steep inclines and descents, and some scrambles. my trail shoes serve me well for these and i've never had a problem with them, even in snowy / icy conditions. but i can't speak to mutli-day hikes, where a true boot would maybe be better served.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't wear low drop shoes. Personally, I'm talking about shoes like Brooks Cascadia, Solomon Speedcross or Ultra, LaSportiva Raptors, Columbia (used to be Montrail) Mountain Masochist, Merrill Moab lows....that sort of thing. I do know people who do long-distance backpacking in more minimalist shoes though.

I've never felt personally that ankle support was an issue. Trail Runners give your ankle the flexibility to work properly, instead of being artificially immobilized by a boot.

If I was hiking with a very heavy pack (say, over 40-50 total pounds) or if I was hiking off trail, I'd switch to boots. But for "normal" backpacking conditions (which, for me, is on-trail, with a total pack weight well under 35 pounds), trail runners are plenty good. I certainly believe there's some truth in the old saying that 1 pound on your feet is like 5 pounds in your pack...lighter footwear is a huge benefit for me.

the cascadia's kinda felt more like a boot than a shoe to me ha. i had the 13s and they were great for hiking. trail running on the hand i found them so too heavy and inflexible for my liking, at least for anything over like 4-5 miles.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the cascadia's kinda felt more like a boot than a shoe to me ha. i had the 13s and they were great for hiking. trail running on the hand i found them so too heavy and inflexible for my liking, at least for anything over like 4-5 miles.

Yeah, I only run when bears are chasing me, so I can't really comment on that. As of a few years ago, Cascadias were the #1 choice for Pacific Crest Trail thru-hikers.

I've done 3-7 day backpacking trips in Salomons and Montrails and never had an issue wishing I had boots.

Reactions: kjb

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are on a forum talking about clothes. A bit of facetiousness and exaggerated wording is allowed. :cool:
Then you should know Filson and grant stone are not high end or well made service boot brands and the standard is viberg or Alden.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1683917

I don't own them, but I was at the Filson store a couple of years ago and thought all of Filson's shoes/ boots look nice.

Not sure there's a "best" leather for those work boots. I would just go by what you like.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Then you should know Filson and grant stone are not high end or well made service boot brands and the standard is viberg or Alden.

I have a pair of Indy's - they're quite nice. However, I don't need everything to be "the best"

Did I offend you in some way? I was simply just asking if someone had owned these. Please note I said sub-$400 - let me know if you see any new Viberg's for that, please. I also think "not well made" is a little strong of a phrase to use - anthing talked about here is going to be far above anything in a store or mall.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
I don't own them, but I was at the Filson store a couple of years ago and thought all of Filson's shoes/ boots look nice.

Not sure there's a "best" leather for those work boots. I would just go by what you like.

Thanks, DW. Should've just posted this in your thread to avoid the roasting here.

I agree, I think Filson does an honest job of quality products.

Yeah, that makes sense. I have a pair of Natural Chromexcel work boots, so these are super different. Trying to be better about choosing what I like and want, not what everyone always says. If they align, great!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Indy's - they're quite nice. However, I don't need everything to be "the best"

Did I offend you in some way? I was simply just asking if someone had owned these. Please note I said sub-$400 - let me know if you see any new Viberg's for that, please. I also think "not well made" is a little strong of a phrase to use - anthing talked about here is going to be far above anything in a store or mall.
I've heard from multiple sources I trust that GS is very good, actually, for the money, and more or less Alden-like which makes sense given their history. I don't have much experience w/ Filson myself and can't speak to the general quality of their product pre-post takeover, but their bags certainly are still venerated. If you're talking about tiers of quality, someone on the next tier is always going to **** on the tier below. Once you get above a certain price point, though, I think it becomes less about big practical differences and more about details and aesthetics.

I want to say Oak Street also has sales that put it sub $400, but I also don't have experience w/ them. And if you want to delve into Indonesian bootmakers, there is a whole enthusiast crowd all up in that market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads