• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

jmiller123

Reaction score
Filson Mackinaw
wool-mackinaw-cruiser-grey.jpg

or

Real Mccoys Submariner
07231624_5b5582c04e240.jpg

Not sure if either would be redundant considering I have the Private White Peacoat

MELTONPEACOATNAVY_1260x.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mackinaw is great except for the lack of lining, which I find problematic.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Filson Mackinaw is a classic and has been interpreted by a number of brands like EG and Post O'alls, et al over the years. Junya Watanabe did a Mackinaw collab with Filson a few years ago.

I like it, but found the fit to be a little challenging. It runs very big (too big in my typical size), but I did not love the fit in the size down. If you like the fit, you can't go wrong with it.

The RMC also looks good, but I have not handled it IRL.

gnu

Reaction score
Filson for sure. Its classic, will never go out of style, and further away from the pea coat stylewise than the RMC is. I also dont think you'll see much of a jump in quality etc for the $200 difference with the RMC. I love my Mackinaw. If you can nail the sizing its the way to go.

FWIW, psychologically it also feels easier to beat up a $500 coat vs. a $700 coat.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Filson for sure. Its classic, will never go out of style, and further away from the pea coat stylewise than the RMC is. I also dont think you'll see much of a jump in quality etc for the $200 difference with the RMC. I love my Mackinaw. If you can nail the sizing its the way to go.

FWIW, psychologically it also feels easier to beat up a $500 coat vs. a $700 coat.
Did you go TTS or size down in the Mackinaw? I have the filson tin cloth jacket that I sized down in and still fits quite roomy, definitely enough for a thick sweater. Tough that the mackinaw got the price jump right as I'm looking into it :brick:

gnu

Reaction score
Filson used to have this size estimator on their website, not sure if they still do. It recommended for me to get a large, but I sized at a medium based on measurements. I was a little nervous because I had to size down to a small for their Jac Shirt, but really ended up liking the fit of the M. I'm like a 41 chest, normally a M/L depending on the brand.

I know what you're talking about with the tin cloth, I had the exact same experience when I tried on a M tin cloth as well. It fit huge, but I think the M in the mackinaw fits me pretty good. Maybe its that the thicker wool drapes a little better? Not sure, but I have enough room for a sweater if I need it, but if I've just got a t shirt on it still looks like it fits.

Filson can usually be found for a discount. I just bought a few Filson things at Moosejaw and was able to find a few discount codes to bring it down a bit. I think backcountry has Filson as well, but I think they usually exclude it from promos.

jmiller123

Reaction score
Filson used to have this size estimator on their website, not sure if they still do. It recommended for me to get a large, but I sized at a medium based on measurements. I was a little nervous because I had to size down to a small for their Jac Shirt, but really ended up liking the fit of the M. I'm like a 41 chest, normally a M/L depending on the brand.

I know what you're talking about with the tin cloth, I had the exact same experience when I tried on a M tin cloth as well. It fit huge, but I think the M in the mackinaw fits me pretty good. Maybe its that the thicker wool drapes a little better? Not sure, but I have enough room for a sweater if I need it, but if I've just got a t shirt on it still looks like it fits.

Filson can usually be found for a discount. I just bought a few Filson things at Moosejaw and was able to find a few discount codes to bring it down a bit. I think backcountry has Filson as well, but I think they usually exclude it from promos.
Yeah I have around a 40-41" chest as well, usually a medium. I'll probably end up trying on both small and medium and figuring out which is best. I could see the drape being different since the tin cloth is much more rigid feeling at first! (slowly breaking mine in..)

m0butt

Reaction score
More a what should I buy, boxer briefs? I used to do Micro Modal by Calvin klein but they don’t make the right ones anymore. I want some that are relatively short.
Don’t mind spending up to say 30-40/pair, but obviously cheaper is better lol

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More a what should I buy, boxer briefs? I used to do Micro Modal by Calvin klein but they don’t make the right ones anymore. I want some that are relatively short.

I wear Tommy John's Second Skin. They're made from a micro-modal blend, which is this really breathable, naturally wicking, and soft fabric. Much better than pure cotton and the fibers TJ uses don't pill.

They are $34 brand new, but if you sign up for thier online newsletter, you can get 20% off your first order. You can use that to buy a trunk or two. During Black Friday, they've also held promotions in years past for about 25% off, which will give you a chance to stock up if you like them.

m0butt

Reaction score
@dieworkwear they actually look perfect, thank you. Have you tried them since they’re “new and improved”? I see the 3 pack doesn’t say that, so I’m wondering if they’re an older version.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear they actually look perfect, thank you. Have you tried them since they’re “new and improved”? I see the 3 pack doesn’t say that, so I’m wondering if they’re an older version.

I actually haven't and noticed that just as I pulled up the link. I don't know if new and improved is actually improved. But I do really like the ones I bought from them many years ago.

You can always start with a pair or two with the 20% discount, and then see how you like them. The Black Friday sale for them is just around the corner.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want something that is relatively short look at trunks instead of boxer briefs, all boxer briefs have longer inseams. I have CK trunks and boxer briefs and I much prefer the former, it doesn't ride up the legs.

withbluejeans

Reaction score
Any recommendations for swimwear brands, especially this late in the season? Going on a trip soon and just realized I need bathing suits. Looking to spend 60-80 at most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads