• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** yall gonna make me search for one of my 90s tupac t's. My wife ******* hated it, she being japanese just sees a shirtless man on a t shirt with concert dates on the back. I don't think I got rid of it, but not sure which hidey hole I put it in.

Most of these shirts I see in vintage stores in Japan, are like the absolute worst quality shirts from the 90s going for way too much. Half of them also look like bootlegs too, which I could probably make also.

jaaz16

Reaction score
I was watching a video of a flea market in Pittsfield, MA the other day, and to Derek's point, Kanye College Dropout tees--which are, I believe, some of the most coveted right now--were going for $700.

At $115, that Nascar tee is priced to the market as best I can tell. And it fits, which is another plus. The negatives though are...everything else? I'm in my mid-30s though and if I was 22 maybe I'd think differently.

Like a few of you, I definitely had some of these high-priced vintage pieces that bring in good $ now, like the Looney Tunes and Tasmanian Devil classics. But all of them were donated or thrown out at some point. The one exception is a black, long sleeve single-stitch exceptionally faded anti-apartheid tee from the early 90s. While it has made me appreciate true vintage tees, I do feel a little awkward wearing it as a white guy, considering the graphic on the back is a black figure in chains stomping out a white figure.

507D3475-F59E-417B-A863-C58EF7836B42.jpeg

Simon Dykes

Reaction score
I was watching a video of a flea market in Pittsfield, MA the other day, and to Derek's point, Kanye College Dropout tees--which are, I believe, some of the most coveted right now--were going for $700.

At $115, that Nascar tee is priced to the market as best I can tell. And it fits, which is another plus. The negatives though are...everything else? I'm in my mid-30s though and if I was 22 maybe I'd think differently.

Like a few of you, I definitely had some of these high-priced vintage pieces that bring in good $ now, like the Looney Tunes and Tasmanian Devil classics. But all of them were donated or thrown out at some point. The one exception is a black, long sleeve single-stitch exceptionally faded anti-apartheid tee from the early 90s. While it has made me appreciate true vintage tees, I do feel a little awkward wearing it as a white guy, considering the graphic on the back is a black figure in chains stomping out a white figure.

If that's a legit Keith Haring piece, you're sitting on serious money there. Hell, even if it's not you probably are.

jaaz16

Reaction score
If that's a legit Keith Haring piece, you're sitting on serious money there. Hell, even if it's not you probably are.

Oh wow, I’m an idiot and didn’t realize it was a famous print (just thought they ripped off the style). I think it’s more likely this was an unlicensed reproduction than something Haring did himself. Still quite the artifact from the late 80s/early 90s.

FC9C383D-D820-41FE-B7E2-5913813854F1.jpeg

Simon Dykes

Reaction score
Oh wow, I’m an idiot and didn’t realize it was a famous print (just thought they ripped off the style). I think it’s more likely this was an unlicensed reproduction than something Haring did himself. Still quite the artifact from the late 80s/early 90s.

I'd recommend checking out the documentary Keith Haring: Street Art Boy, if you haven't seen it. He produced / licensed in huge numbers so there's no reason this couldn't be a legit piece.

It's super cool man, you've got a great piece there, and dem fades ?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... Stetson Open Road. Is the silverbelly color the most versatile one to get? Seems like the most popular color...

1626437591483.png

Or is it maybe too light in color to be usable year round and with a variety of outfits?

Last edited:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... Stetson Open Road. Is the silverbelly color the most versatile one to get? Seems like the most popular color...

View attachment 1639668

Or is it maybe too light in color to be usable year round and with a variety of outfits?
I personally prefer the slightly more muted and midtone colors like caribou, sage or maybe natural? Just feel like silver belly jumps out at me more - not necessarily in a bad way, but puts more of an emphasis on a hat that’s already fairly eye catching. Just my 2c. Still think it’s pretty cool.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
y'all in eight months after the cowboy trend's over

does it make sense to buy some Wrangler Wranchers just to send them to someone like Luxire to have them reproduced in a tropical wool (if they can even do cowboy cuts like that)? I like the look a lot but can't stand polyester.

?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
965af9b40cf064789292eeb4306aebbd.jpg

y'all in eight months after the cowboy trend's over

Maybe. But it was fun while it lasted at least. Isn’t that the whole point of SF? Or are you one of those “timeless and everlasting style” bros from the CM side?

62ACFD6A-0CB5-4B93-ABDF-C676D073A16E.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. But it was fun while it lasted at least. Isn’t that the whole point of SF? Or are you one of those “timeless and everlasting style” bros from the CM side?

Gentle reminder: there are more than two answers to this question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads