• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently wearing a Native American headdress, and a Kimono with Danish clogs.
Nothing but compliments all morning...

Sooo... **** looks good eh?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bunker Clothes (also Italian ?)

1624635546415.png

1624635601371.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@gdl203 @dieworkwear

I’m intrigued. What are some Southwestern belt makers?

I'm still definitely learning about this stuff. So not an expert on it by any means. I've mostly been looking on eBay by searching for terms such as "vintage ranger belt," "vintage southwestern belt," or "Native American buckle" (sometimes I switch the word Native American out for Navajo or Pueblo. Navajo work is more based on silversmithing and Pueblo work often involves more stone inlay).

Then I just go down the rabbit hole. Often, if you find one that you like, the seller will have many more. Or they'll have the silversmith's name and you can look that up. In my case, my belt buckle was made by someone named Anderson Parkett Jr., so I looked him up and found more stuff. He's apparently a musician and has a bunch of songs on YouTube and Soundcloud.

These sellers seem to be really willing to bargain. If you add something to your eBay watch list, you'll get an offer the next day for a lower price -- you don't even have to contact the seller first. I've often gotten offers for a few hundred dollars off the list price. It seems easy to score a buckle for about $150. I use Ken at Custom Leather Belts to then make me a strap for about $75. (BTW, that James Coward's "Belt With No Name" is using a Tory buckle, I believe. Ken will also make that one for about $75 if you send him the photo). So in the end, you can get a belt for about $225. If you find a belt and don't mind using the original strap, then it can be as low as $150.

Some belt buckles on my eBay watch list:

s-l1600.jpeg
111gg.jpeg
111kljl.jpeg
111lkjl.jpeg
11jh.jpeg
11j.jpeg
11s.jpeg
11h.jpeg
AA.jpeg
11.jpeg
111111.jpeg
1111.jpeg
11saa.jpeg

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still definitely learning about this stuff. So not an expert on it by any means. I've mostly been looking on eBay by searching for terms such as "vintage ranger belt," "vintage southwestern belt," or "Native American buckle" (sometimes I switch the word Native American out for Navajo or Pueblo. Navajo work is more based on silversmithing and Pueblo work often involves more stone inlay).

Then I just go down the rabbit hole. Often, if you find one that you like, the seller will have many more. Or they'll have the silversmith's name and you can look that up. In my case, my belt buckle was made by someone named Anderson Parkett Jr., so I looked him up and found more stuff. He's apparently a musician and has a bunch of songs on YouTube and Soundcloud.

These sellers seem to be really willing to bargain. If you add something to your eBay watch list, you'll get an offer the next day for a lower price -- you don't even have to contact the seller first. I've often gotten offers for a few hundred dollars off the list price. It seems easy to score a buckle for about $150. I use Ken at Custom Leather Belts to then make me a strap for about $75. (BTW, that James Coward's "Belt With No Name" is using a Tandy buckle, I believe. Ken will also make that one for about $75 if you send him the photo). So in the end, you can get a belt for about $225. If you find a belt and don't mind using the original strap, then it can be as low as $150.

Some belt buckles on my eBay watch list:

Those are indeed awesome. Please be adviced that I will soon enough, once again, pester you with PMs. ❤

notmandatory

Reaction score
I ended up passing on the Silver Ostrich belt because the aesthetics seem iffy to me. Ended up just getting a vintage Native American buckle and paid someone to make me a ranger belt strap. You can find vintage ranger belts all over eBay.

Kapital one looks bad to me. Same with many of the RRL repros.

My ranger belt:

View attachment 1629709

Belt looks good!
What pants are those?

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like it’s easy to spend hours looking for Native belt buckles, there’s so many out there. Not a bad rabbit hole to fall down though.

do I want these???

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like it’s easy to spend hours looking for Native belt buckles, there’s so many out there. Not a bad rabbit hole to fall down though.

do I want these???

Get the 123 Century Denim from Kapital instead.

jaaz16

Reaction score
I have the Monitaly one. I think @dieworkwear recommended it on his blog at least once or twice. I wear it with more workwear stuff rather than western per se, but also works well for the monitaly vibe (loose pleated pants, vacation shirt, etc). It’s more understated than the traditional ones that I frankly think are cooler if you really want to lean into it.

I’ve worn it to emulate looks like this, just less handsome: F60ACCF6-D2D1-41B1-8F07-37D4A53E71FF.jpeg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Monitaly one. I think @dieworkwear recommended it on his blog at least once or twice. I wear it with more workwear stuff rather than western per se, but also works well for the monitaly vibe (loose pleated pants, vacation shirt, etc). It’s more understated than the traditional ones that I frankly think are cooler if you really want to lean into it.

I’ve worn it to emulate looks like this, just less handsome: View attachment 1630645

Do you have the long or extra long version? How does the extra length workout for you?

jaaz16

Reaction score
Do you have the long or extra long version? How does the extra length workout for you?

I have the regular length. It can sort of dangle like that first pic (but a little shorter on me, as my waist is a couple inches wider than the model) or tuck into the next belt loop like a regular belt. If I were to do it again I might opt for the extra long one and sort of loop it around like the third pic, though on me it’d be a little shorter because I’m using the second to last hole—so like upper thigh rather than what looks like practically knee length in the product shot. I can’t do that loop thing we’ll with the regular version, just a slight dangle. But I like it! It goes with the whole Monitaly look which I’d describe as relaxed but elevated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads