• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would probably help if people who post here were more specific in what they are hesitant about with the item. Like if I posted two military inspected jackets from say Kapital and Visvim I would make it clear I was only asking which one is cooler looking and had no interest in which was more authentic. Otherwise, one could easily assume I was looking for an authentic repro type thing.
For the racial thing, I really do think XWT only said Jewish to emphasize that Ralph was not Native American.That’s all I’ll say about that.

Ok, I'll give this a try. What do you guys think about these belts FROM A PURELY AESTHETIC POINT OF VIEW? :fu:

NB! I don't care at AT ALL about the following properties:

1) authenticity
2) cultural appropriation
3) heritage
4) country of manufacture
5) price
6) SF approved or not

I only care about the following properties:

A) If **** looks good
B) Quality (but only to certain extent)

Now, can I please get a yay or nay on these two belts, after taking the above into consideration?

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give this a try. What do you guys think about these belts FROM A PURELY AESTHETIC POINT OF View? :fu:

1) authenticity
3) heritage
5) price
6) SF approved or not

A) If **** looks good

Now, can I please get a yay or nay on these two belts, when taking the above into consideration?

6) is at odds with A)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give this a try. What do you guys think about these belts FROM A PURELY AESTHETIC POINT OF VIEW? :fu:

1) authenticity
3) heritage
5) price
6) SF approved or not

A) If **** looks good

Now, can I please get a yay or nay on these two belts, when taking the above into consideration?

At this point, I'd buy the Silver Ostrich belt just out of spite (it also looks good to me).

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think I've ever referred to Ralph Lauren's Jewish background.

But in any case, I personally wouldn't buy an RL reproduction of a Native American piece. In this specific case, I just think the originals are better in every regard. They're cheaper, more authentic, and your money goes towards supporting the communities that made these things cool in the first place. If it's a vintage-styled piece, the distressing also typically looks better on the original/ more authentic vintage piece, rather than the piece that was made to look distressed/ worn.

What if visvim did the repro

daddy hiroki take my munnies uwu

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) authenticity
3) heritage
5) price
6) SF approved or not

A) If **** looks good

With what you’ve posted before if I had to choose I’d go with the Kapital because I don’t see a lot of black in your wardrobe. I don’t currently care for round buckles but I’m always changing my preferences anyway and if you like it who cares what I prefer. Kapital seems bold in close up but when you wear it most people won’t even notice at first anyway so that makes it kind of cool.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6) is at odds with A)

After some further consideration, I am pretty sure that this is not the case. Plenty of SF approved stuff that doesnt meet the "**** looks good"-criteria.

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
Yeah looks pretty nice in that Scandinavian minimalistic kind of way. But only 2 cm wide all over seems a bit too small?
Looks wide enough to me, but I typically wear S or XS. I could see the scale being too narrow for a guy that wears L or XL.
8797_05ef06ebca-ol__spring21__www__day1____1547-full.jpg

SimModa

Reaction score
Theres a Korean brand called Savage that has similar belts. I followed the owners on IG a while back, after seeing photos of them at Pitti. Can't speak on the quality but I like a few pieces from the brand.

Here is the US link to the suede & leather belts & another US link to the weaved belts.
43_shop1_15330549370738.jpg
134c8e3a385e8c98974276d4b5c129e9.jpg

Edit: I don't think 2 centimeters is that small. I think western belts in general are slimmer, no?

I would go for the Silver Ostrich over Kapital

Last edited:

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Looking for a nice quality green long-sleeve button up and can be western styled as well. Something moderately lighter weight for Spring/Summer/Fall in the ~$150-200 range. Came across this Indigofera Alamo shirt. Anyone have experience with them?

Indigofera.jpg

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with them?

I have a Norris flannel shirt and it's been worn heavily. I'm also waiting on a pair of jeans from them.

Generally speaking, I have a positive opinion.

The construction quality is good but it's not blow-your-mind-with-cool-details like some (especially japanese) makers will do. Their sizing is genereous in the chest, but I'd say pretty regular in the neck, sleeves, cuffs and shoulders. Sizing down is often recommended but I think one should order TTS and embrace the flowy fit.

The fabrics are a strong point. They're really good.

My criticism is that, for their price point new, they don't have as many interesting design features as some other brands. If this is not something that bothers you (as it doesn't deter from fit, nor from general appearance) go nuts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads