• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

bsyde82

Reaction score
I've decided to commit to the Gucci bit loafer, the classic black version. However, then I browsed around and have discovered numerous brands that also make an almost identical black bit loafer (for much cheaper). Brands include Horatio (although sold out), Henderson Barraco, and Vinny's. They seem like decent quality and aren't cheap either, but based on current prices/sales, I could get one of the above and another pair of shoes (looking on farfetch right now with their 15% extra off) for the price of the Gucci's.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've decided to commit to the Gucci bit loafer, the classic black version. However, then I browsed around and have discovered numerous brands that also make an almost identical black bit loafer (for much cheaper). Brands include Horatio (although sold out), Henderson Barraco, and Vinny's. They seem like decent quality and aren't cheap either, but based on current prices/sales, I could get one of the above and another pair of shoes (looking on farfetch right now with their 15% extra off) for the price of the Gucci's.

Blackstock & Webber has a nice horse bit, croc embossed.

I think a difference could be if you want to own the “original” or not, or if a certain style speaks to you. I doubt the quality or anything is *that* much different between the Gucci’s and the others. But maybe you like the shape specifically or something like that (the 1953s have a rounder shape while those Horatio's look more square, the Vinny’s and the B&W seem to have a more substantial look with the thicker sole). If all those things put together really matter to you, get the 53s. If not, then maybe you save some money and get whichever other version you like best.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think each horsebit loafer can be good on its own grounds. But if you're buying something because you want a cheaper version of the Gucci, you will end up being disappointed because it'll live in the shadow of the thing you actually want.

I think Carmina makes a nice one

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Any idea how far in the future the next seasonal sale is at The Rake? Contemplating getting this shirt at full price.
View attachment 1624552

Now I want this shirt even more ? though it's the pants that make the outfit here, and those are probably vintage (?) knowing Mark.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To quote the great philosopher Radric Delantic Davis:

"Now that Gucci's home, it's over for you Gucci clones"

bsyde82

Reaction score
I think each horsebit loafer can be good on its own grounds. But if you're buying something because you want a cheaper version of the Gucci, you will end up being disappointed because it'll live in the shadow of the thing you actually want.

I think Carmina makes a nice one

thanks for the rec, didn't even think of Carmina and I like that price point. I'm a total shoe noob so what would you say is the difference between that Carmina and the Henderson Baracco if any? I never heard of the latter brand until searching for this type of shoe. The price point seems to suggest decent quality and looking at internet pics, they look pretty much identical.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackstock & Webber has a nice horse bit, croc embossed.

I think a difference could be if you want to own the “original” or not, or if a certain style speaks to you. I doubt the quality or anything is *that* much different between the Gucci’s and the others. But maybe you like the shape specifically or something like that (the 1953s have a rounder shape while those Horatio's look more square, the Vinny’s and the B&W seem to have a more substantial look with the thicker sole). If all those things put together really matter to you, get the 53s. If not, then maybe you save some money and get whichever other version you like best.

I have the B&W and they're heavy and leather is thick and stiff. I think of my B&W loafers (but especially these croc embossed ones) as something closer to a Timb 3-eye lug than a traditional loafer. They're proper ****-kickers.

MeatFish

Reaction score
thanks for the rec, didn't even think of Carmina and I like that price point. I'm a total shoe noob so what would you say is the difference between that Carmina and the Henderson Baracco if any? I never heard of the latter brand until searching for this type of shoe. The price point seems to suggest decent quality and looking at internet pics, they look pretty much identical.

I have both Gucci 1953s and Carmina bit loafers (not the ones linked, but the Armoury's version), and I'd say Carminas leather and hardware feel better than what I have on the Guccis. If I didn't score a good deal on them, the Xim loafers would have been the clear choice

bsyde82

Reaction score
I have both Gucci 1953s and Carmina bit loafers (not the ones linked, but the Armoury's version), and I'd say Carminas leather and hardware feel better than what I have on the Guccis. If I didn't score a good deal on them, the Xim loafers would have been the clear choice

shape wise are they pretty much identical?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bonafé makes great shoes as well (I much prefer them to Carmina in terms of quality), and these are on sale:

If you're going for that 1953 gucci horsebit loafer look, these are very close and the construction and leather would be way better.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't have any experience with Henderson's shoes, so I can't say. The one pair of Carminas I own feel nice (they aren't horsebits, but they're loafers). I generally like the company's styles and think they offer really solid products for the price.

Treble

Reaction score
Really wish Gucci did the 1953 loafer in plain brown or pebble. That fake ageing on the non-exotic brown model they have done for the last few years looks awful, at least on the ones I have seen in person.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
For the price I don't think you can beat Carmina. I own both the Carmina and Gucci loafers above the the quality is far better from Carmina.

The Gucci are classic though and I wear them just as much.

As others have noted, ( and as someone with 13 grey loop wheeler sweatshirts ) sometimes it's best to spend more and just get the one you really want vs the cheaper imitation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads