• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the engineer boots talk, I feel people think too hard about it. They have a buckle, big whoop, they fit in the same place as side zips or chunky boots. I literally wear the with so much random **** and feel like the look great.

For example I have some wide armani pants from the 80s in moleskin, I wear em so they pool on top of the boot. I wear an oversized flannel, an oversized story Mfg pull over. I think they look cool that way. However I am super directional with my fashion sense. At this point I gave up on looking "good"

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1599486
Trying to decide which shade of brown to go for. Thinking I'd mostly be wearing these with white/off-white pants, light chinos, olive shorts, or raw denim that I've worn a lot but have yet to fade significantly.

Black is out. Dark brown seems like the most versatile choice but also kind of boring?

Leftmost… I'm sort of afraid they'd look too much like my skin and have too much contrast with darker pants? I'm caucasian with a mediterranean complexion (very white but tan easily).

This leaves the second ("tan 2") and third ("meg brown"). Slightly leaning towards the "tan 2" considering they are leather and they will darken, but I love the saturation of the third, though it probably makes them less versatile. Thoughts?
I’d personally go for the Meg brown or the first from the left. It depends mainly on if I want them to be at a certain stage of brown quicker. I have a large rotation of shoes, so something like a natural leather will take a significant time for me to wear to a nice mid shade of brown.
Meg brown is at a nice brown in which you could more often with more pieces early on, but will darken to a darker shade and if you don’t mind that, then go for that. If you do, then option for the 2nd shade from the left and it will eventually be somewhere around Meg brown.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have a buckle, big whoop, they fit in the same place as side zips or chunky boots.
No way they they fit within the same category as side zips. I’d say side zips, chelseas, and jodhpurs fit within the same segment of boots.
Chunky boots......maybe....

I think the big qualm of engineer boots is the big ass shaft. Not the buckle.
Jodhpurs have some sort of buckle and they’re widely utilized.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also don't wear my engineers very much because of the reason @H. E. Pennypacker described. I just feel like a "repro guy" in them. I don't wear my Buzz Rickson A-2 very much for the same reason.

That said, I've seen UrbanComp wear his engineers in a way that looked good and not very "repro-y."

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly leaning towards the "tan 2" considering they are leather and they will darken, but I love the saturation of the third, though it probably makes them less versatile. Thoughts?
I would go for the Tan 2. Personally, I would go for the lightest ones, but I have a slightly darker complexion so I understand the want for greater contrast. The Tan 2 would be fairly versatile and depending on where you live hauraches probably aren't super common so you'll definitely be the "dope sandals" guy.

RE: everyone, thank you for your thoughts on engineer boots. I think given my casual style often tends toward Americana, western and repro stuff with some punk influence I'm gonna try em out. Worst case scenario I sell em to some hipster on superfuture once they get a good patina.

That said, I've seen UrbanComp wear his engineers in a way that looked good and not very "repro-y."
Sometimes I will put on an outfit that I really dig and then I go on IG and realize I look like a Kmart UrbanComp. That dude is just too damn fly

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yall think too much, if you got the right pants you cant even see the shaft. Its just some boots after all. There was sick picture of Dan Levy wearing some engineer boots, full shaft in show and looked way way far from repro.

However I didn't care about fashion in the age of repro so maybe the scars still remains and you'll never be able to get the connection out of your mind which I totally get

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yall think too much, if you got the right pants you cant even see the shaft. Its just some boots after all. There was sick picture of Dan Levy wearing some engineer boots, full shaft in show and looked way way far from repro.

However I didn't care about fashion in the age of repro so maybe the scars still remains and you'll never be able to get the connection out of your mind which I totally get
Unfortunately I’m paid to think; I’m in marketing. :bounce2:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1599486
Trying to decide which shade of brown to go for. Thinking I'd mostly be wearing these with white/off-white pants, light chinos, olive shorts, or raw denim that I've worn a lot but have yet to fade significantly.

Black is out. Dark brown seems like the most versatile choice but also kind of boring?

Leftmost… I'm sort of afraid they'd look too much like my skin and have too much contrast with darker pants? I'm caucasian with a mediterranean complexion (very white but tan easily).

This leaves the second ("tan 2") and third ("meg brown"). Slightly leaning towards the "tan 2" considering they are leather and they will darken, but I love the saturation of the third, though it probably makes them less versatile. Thoughts?
One pair of tan + one pair of dark brown

my favorite pair these days are black though.

B61EDCC0-50E1-4457-A0BC-DC7914651F6A.jpeg 036076BC-52C7-45D2-A0BD-E640E2724F9D.jpeg F4CE88EC-AD28-44E7-B17C-60CFD7BBADEE.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads