• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering these for my first pair of engineer boots. I've always thought the style was cool, but also kind of for "old men." I'm turning 30 this year and feel like I'm "old" enough to pull them off now.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Considering these for my first pair of engineer boots. I've always thought the style was cool, but also kind of for "old men." I'm turning 30 this year and feel like I'm "old" enough to pull them off now.

I think @UrbanComposition has experience with Wesco engineers. Maybe he can speak about them.

I feel like that tan color would look good once they're really broken in and patina'd. But you kind of have to live a certain lifestyle for engineer boots to get that patina. I'm too much of a cubicle farmer.

I have a pair of Mister Freedom Road Champs that I like, but don't wear them that often. They're overdyed brown, so as the layers wear off, they show deeper shades underneath. I find the brown color to be easy to wear when they're new, and the shoes look better with age. Tons of photos online if you Google the model

CL-RoadChamps-May2010-1.jpeg
RoadChamp-promo2-web.jpeg

I also have black John Lofgren engineers, but find the heel doesn't fit me as well as the Mister Freedoms.

Engineer-Black-worn3monthsbyGen-03WITHTEXT_2000x.jpeg
[UNSET].png

As a style, I find engineer boots to be less versatile than service boots, if versatility matters to you.

viberg_service_boot_andrew_chen3-1.jpeg
viberg18mo_1.jpeg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of Wesco engineers and they are somewhat different. The OG Boss Engineers are bulletproof and quite stiff, whereas the S&S collab “Mr Lou” was quite comfy right off the bat. Two very different leathers though. If you’re not actually going to wear them hard, I suggest a collab; they typically are soft and unlined.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like that tan color would look good once they're really broken in and patina'd. But you kind of have to live a certain lifestyle for engineer boots to get that patina. I'm too much of a cubicle farmer.
I don't know what in particular about my lifestyle does it, but I tend to wear in boots real quick.
I also have black John Lofgren engineers, but find the heel doesn't fit me as well as the Mister Freedoms.
the John Lofgren boots are beautiful, but seeing as they're rather pricey and hard to get I felt it wouldn't necessarily be the *best* first pair of engineers
As a style, I find engineer boots to be less versatile than service boots, if versatility matters to you.
I have two pairs of service boots currently, and three on the way, I don't think I need another pair of those right now (I know, I have a problem).
If you’re not actually going to wear them hard, I suggest a collab; they typically are soft and unlined.
This is good to know. I think this is making me lean toward this Ship John collab a little more then. I like the color and it might not be as hard to break in as just ordering them from Wesco directly. Unfortunately the S&S Mister Lou isn't available in my size. I was really attracted to those as well.

Treble

Reaction score
the John Lofgren boots are beautiful, but seeing as they're rather pricey and hard to get I felt it wouldn't necessarily be the *best* first pair of engineers

Without being a complete enabler here, those aren't cheap either. I got the black JL and I rarely wear them, I think I should have gone for brown or natural. IMO go 2nd hand, Redwing or Chippewa if you want to try out the style, or go all out on whatever your dream pair would be (I think Attractions look great and are a similar price to JL).

gnu

Reaction score
I personally find engineers hard to wear. I always feel like 'that repro guy' when I wear mine, no matter the setting. I also always find myself reaching for something easier to get on and off (Paraboots, Blundstones, etc.) as well. I love my engineers and the idea of wearing them, but they have the worst cost per wear ratio of nearly everything I own.

If I did it all over again, I'd probably go with something less expensive and see if the style fits with everything else I own. But to each their own.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have engineers in dark brown CXL from Viberg that I wear a lot as my "foul weather boots" during the colder months of the year. I really like them, and they get better with each wear because of the "foul weather" patina. Only thing you have to be mindful of is to not use them in a fit that makes you look like an actual train engineer from 1910.

verver

Reaction score
I have engineers in dark brown CXL from Viberg that I wear a lot as my "foul weather boots" during the colder months of the year. I really like them, and they get better with each wear because of the "foul weather" patina. Only thing you have to be mindful of is to not use them in a fit that makes you look like an actual train engineer from 1910.
“Foul weather” = ur shower

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally find engineers hard to wear. I always feel like 'that repro guy' when I wear mine, no matter the setting. I also always find myself reaching for something easier to get on and off
+1
Although I don't own a pair nor am I into engineer boots, from what I've gathered, the majority of people who wear engineer boots make a significant adjustment to their wardrobe in order to wear engineer boots

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
unnamed-2.jpg

Trying to decide which shade of brown to go for. Thinking I'd mostly be wearing these with white/off-white pants, light chinos, olive shorts, or raw denim that I've worn a lot but have yet to fade significantly.

Black is out. Dark brown seems like the most versatile choice but also kind of boring?

Leftmost… I'm sort of afraid they'd look too much like my skin and have too much contrast with darker pants? I'm caucasian with a mediterranean complexion (very white but tan easily).

This leaves the second ("tan 2") and third ("meg brown"). Slightly leaning towards the "tan 2" considering they are leather and they will darken, but I love the saturation of the third, though it probably makes them less versatile. Thoughts?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1599486
Trying to decide which shade of brown to go for. Thinking I'd mostly be wearing these with white/off-white pants, light chinos, olive shorts, or raw denim that I've worn a lot but have yet to fade significantly.

Black is out. Dark brown seems like the most versatile choice but also kind of boring?

Leftmost… I'm sort of afraid they'd look too much like my skin and have too much contrast with darker pants? I'm caucasian with a mediterranean complexion (very white but tan easily).

This leaves the second ("tan 2") and third ("meg brown"). Slightly leaning towards the "tan 2" considering they are leather and they will darken, but I love the saturation of the third, though it probably makes them less versatile. Thoughts?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those brown colors. I have a pair of the dark brown ones, but under the Monitaly label. I like them a lot. Between the other two, I think I would go for the lighter pair, but it's a coin toss.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1599486

I think the Meg brown is the best of the bunch and probably the easiest to pair with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads