• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Treble

Reaction score
I like and wear Ebbets cap, but like many baseball caps, the front is reinforced with buckram, which raises the profile. At the risk of over-intellectualizing baseball caps, I think this gives it a different vibe -- a bit more Americana, rather than the kind of workwear hoodog wears.

I would go for a lower profile cap, like the Asket above. Or military-esque four panel caps like Papa Nui.

The buckram can easily be removed from an Ebbets which helps a bit (shape is the same obviously). Lost & Found have done a nice cotton cap with a lower crown recently.

Blank caps you personalise > logo caps (sports aside).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buckram can easily be removed from an Ebbets which helps a bit (shape is the same obviously). Lost & Found have done a nice cotton cap with a lower crown recently.

Blank caps you personalise > logo caps (sports aside).

My high school baseball team was obsessed with removing the buckram from our caps. Most people did a terrible job of it though and ended up with holes in their caps from poorly placed scissor/knife strokes.

michael1121

Reaction score
Incredibly tempted by this jacket. Light enough to wear here in California, perfect shade of brown, not as fussy looking as other safaris with epaulets and hardware everywhere... I'm just concerned about product photo vs. real life. Should I get something safer like a Valstarino instead?
I guess the belt could be a bit extraneous or distracting hanging so long.
suede safari.jpg

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pass on the jacket. Dislike the square pockets, the small collar, the whole design really.

Looks like something you would see worn on the CM side of the board with Ghurkha trousers, a polo, and Belgium loafers in a “WFH fit.”
Nah I'm thinking pie crust split toe derby
Should I get something safer like a Valstarino instead?
You mean "cooler." If you want a suede jacket I would honestly suggest sticking with something like that or a trucker (if you're looking high end Savas actually has some dope looking ones rn)

nothing wrong with safari jackets but if you're going CM outfit look honestly just stick to linen, cotton, etc

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think we have a general "where can I find X" thread anymore...but who makes short sleeve plaid popover Madras shirts these days besides EG (already have 2)? I think Battenwear used to make one but the pattern is a little meh and don't see any on the used market. Trad companies like O'Connells/J. Press make LS ones but don't see any SS...would love to find something kind of orangey or bluish...also don't want to pay EG retail prices; happy to go with RL/Gant etc so long as there's no branding I can't remove with a seam ripper...

Edit: I see J.Press makes SS ones, but the pattern is kind "old guy at the golf club" ...

gardenvariety

Reaction score
I don't think we have a general "where can I find X" thread anymore...but who makes short sleeve plaid popover Madras shirts these days besides EG (already have 2)? I think Battenwear used to make one but the pattern is a little meh and don't see any on the used market. Trad companies like O'Connells/J. Press make LS ones but don't see any SS...would love to find something kind of orangey or bluish...also don't want to pay EG retail prices; happy to go with RL/Gant etc so long as there's no branding I can't remove with a seam ripper...

Edit: I see J.Press makes SS ones, but the pattern is kind "old guy at the golf club" ...

Beams plus? I.e. this

beams-plus--Short-Sleeve-Pullover-Bd-Madras-Sax.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Proper Cloth makes custom shirts and they can do madras popovers.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Should I do it?

Screenshot_20210415-224048.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads