• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a Poten hat from Selfedge recently, I like it quite a bit.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like and wear Ebbets cap, but like many baseball caps, the front is reinforced with buckram, which raises the profile. At the risk of over-intellectualizing baseball caps, I think this gives it a different vibe -- a bit more Americana, rather than the kind of workwear hoodog wears.

I would go for a lower profile cap, like the Asket above. Or military-esque four panel caps like Papa Nui.

‘47 brand makes many (all?) of their caps without any structure in the front panels. Good option if you like a lower profile.

just don’t get a blank hat. Get some kind of logo on it (a local business, a team, a national park, something).

Jobst

Reaction score
what are the best options for a light summer cap? straight to a mesh back or is there something else equivalent to breezy linen?

only one i've ever owned is thick cotton and fully lined, which isn't the greatest when it's scorching out

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are the best options for a light summer cap? straight to a mesh back or is there something else equivalent to breezy linen?

only one i've ever owned is thick cotton and fully lined, which isn't the greatest when it's scorching out

Your mileage may vary, but I find the difference between a wool ballcap, a cotton ballcap and a mesh back ballcap to be almost none. If you're hot in cotton, you're going to be hot in anything.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACG often has super light caps that perform well in warmer temps. If you can find one of the Japanese paper or paper mix caps - those breathe really well

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re caps, i recently got this Arket canvas cap, very reasonable for the price. Otherwise I quite like the plain ebbets caps
app006prod

Decided to give the Arket cap in black a go and see how that goes. Thanks for the help guys.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
That sounds like sensible advice. For someone who has no experience with caps, is there any particular style you mean by "ballcaps"? Just regular MLB caps?

I prefer low crown caps myself and my fav are pretty much random acquisitions Most worn right now is a Sweden souvenir cap I was gifted..

Maybe just go to Uniqlo and get something like this:

Edit: I see you've ordered something.

abkain

Reaction score

Norse Projects has some nice softer crown hats in lightweight materials:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patagonia makes fishing caps that were really light with a low bill. I think they're called something like Longbill Stretch.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Took me years to find caps that don't look terrible on me until I discovered 5 panel caps. Much lower profile suits me better that standard baseball caps. Come in all sorts of materials for different seasons from Goldwin, Montbell, Battenwear, Patagonia etc.

Battenwear travel cap in nylon is a summer fav of mine.
1617807099947.png

And I've lived in this woollen Patagonia all winter -
1617807196069.png

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads