• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Trying to find new t-shirts to sleep in and noticed Muji is selling a pack of 2 "side seamless" jersey crew neck t-shirts for $15. Does that mean they are made with vintage tubular machines? I feel like I hear often there are only 2 companies in the world capable of producing this stuff, but also they are popping up everywhere… maybe I'm confusing two different things?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are confusing loop wheel with tube knit. Loopwheel is indeed the slow, old machines with like only 2 in the world of whatever it is. Tube knit was pretty common up until like the late 90's so I'm sure machines are still around.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally shy away from the great tee-shirt recommendation/debate, but... Bought two 3-packs of Polo tees from MrP. They are well made and pretty much perfect length and overall fit. Think each pack was only $25 on sale. Highly rec. They do have the little Polo embroidered down low on the left hem, but doesn’t bother me. One pack was three shades of blue, and the other all white. No pocket.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Ginew? I've seen their stuff online for a while (thanks, targeted advertising), but I don't know anyone who actually has their stuff and never seen it in person. I've been tempted to buy this jacket, or one of their Pendleton lined coats but wanted to check if anyone had experience with them before I bought something.

https://ginewusa.com/collections/jackets/products/thunderbird-jacket

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thoughts on Ginew? I've seen their stuff online for a while (thanks, targeted advertising), but I don't know anyone who actually has their stuff and never seen it in person. I've been tempted to buy this jacket, or one of their Pendleton lined coats but wanted to check if anyone had experience with them before I bought something.

https://ginewusa.com/collections/jackets/products/thunderbird-jacket

Don't own anything but the brand seems cool. I think I read somewehre that some people behind the line were involved in the Pendleton Portland Collection, which was Pendleton's short-lived fashion line.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't own anything but the brand seems cool. I think I read somewehre that some people behind the line were involved in the Pendleton Portland Collection, which was Pendleton's short-lived fashion line.
I still remember lusting after the peacoat from that line. In that case, I may have to cop

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm going for the Wacko Maria vibe this shirt is too slim right? Not sure if it's the angle but the shirt looks a little slimmer and shorter in the pic than what I remember in the mirror. Maybe because my arm is up to take the pic?

PXL_20210310_071038290_censored.jpg

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm going for the Wacko Maria vibe this shirt is too slim right? Not sure if it's the angle but the shirt looks a little slimmer and shorter in the pic than what I remember in the mirror. Maybe because my arm is up to take the pic?

View attachment 1571076
Yea, too fitted and short. (And not a good match for Goreckis IMO, though not sure if you just happened to be wearing those when you decided to test the fit of the shirt.)

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some white/cream/off denim/thick cotton pants that I can enjoy wearing even with a baby boy making a mess. Feel free to suggest alternatives!

1615371331934.png

1615371403107.png

1615371481830.png

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some white/cream/off denim/thick cotton pants that I can enjoy wearing even with a baby boy making a mess. Feel free to suggest alternatives!

I have problems keeping white tees clean with a toddler, pants would be the same. Maybe a workwear type pants would be better like painter pants or double knees.

The DBF trousers look too dressy to look good dirty.

kaizerpi

Reaction score

I really like the color patterns here but a zipper cardigan like this. Just screams spring/summer cool nights/morning dog walks. I'm not exactly sure how it would fit in my wardrobe though.

Wrenkin

Reaction score

White denim is best. Looks good a bit beat up, and with dirt around the edges. I wear white Levi’s in this situation. Not so expensive that you can’t thrown them out. It’ll still look stupid if your kid throws tomato sauce on your lap.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All those options you listed look good to me, although I tried the Orslows 107s in white and found them a little too bright white for my taste. But I know some guys also look great and feel comfortable in that color.

As a relatively new white pants convert, I've been wearing Sid Mashburn's natural denim. The cut is surprisingly forgiving, and while the color looks brighter online than real life, it's more of ... well ... natural colored. Would describe it as a slim-straight cut.

c1069974_5.jpg

I've also been wearing double-knee Stan Ray painter pants. Mine are deadstock and the ones I see online might be a different cut. I'm not totally sure -- seems like they at least got rid of the double knee detail. But they're again natural colored and don't feel too preppy/ precious. Goes with workwear. You can find them on Stan Ray's site, eBay or Etsy. Dickie's also sells a white painter pant.

Looking on Etsy, this one seems to have the double front detail, but the sizing makes me think it's not true deadstock and likely designed for the modern womens market. Still, gives you an idea of how the fuller leg might look in a men's outfit.

il_1588xN.2876935136_cknm.jpg

Lastly, Robert Spangle at Thousand Yard Style often wears white jeans well. He modified some vintage Levi's and sells them on his site (I don't have any personal experience with them, but they look nice). You can look up photos of him online (he's almost always in white jeans). I believe he makes the same mods to his jeans as the ones he sells online.

ObserverDenim--4_16dd1841-ef48-4a9b-98cd-42c50af6f472_1200x1800.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads