• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these blundstones have hardly left my feet since i bought them. Great value. Someone should put together a list of really awesome and affordable wardrobe items.

birk bostons, vans slip ons, and blundstones are all pretty swell footwear starting points for any wardrobe imo.

4266F023-2B00-4B80-AFA8-23BB9A158ED4.jpeg

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess affordable essentials is a posts at one point or another for almost every fashion blog isnt it?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
birk bostons, vans slip ons, and blundstones are all pretty swell footwear starting points for any wardrobe imo.

Maybe not *any* - personally, I wouldn't wear any of those, and I'd go so far as to say I hate all of them... on me, of course. I'm very happy that anyone else likes what they like. But that's the problem with 'essentials' lists. They might just work in the context of the CM side of the forum, where there is a certain idea of a shared look, however contested, but not on this side, where for all that we are still pretty conformist, there is a greater variety of looks and much more personalization.

Anyway, we're in the wrong thread for this discussion...

Chambray_1

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a camera bag? I have a new Canon 6D and will probably have 4 lenses max. I looked at the Peak Design backpack and shoulder bag, but wondered if other people had advice. I have a Master Piece shoulder bag already that is my everyday bag so this would be something basically exclusively for lugging around the camera and needs to be more functional than stylish View attachment 1563422 View attachment 1563423
Think Tank Photo is another good source for functional bags. Some of them look good too.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d probably also include Nike Af1 , Clark’s desert boots, converse, and Uniqlo t shirts in that list as well .

To expand on this I'd upgrade to the craft version of AF1, the leather quality is much better.

I was never really a big fan of Uniqlo tees. They're great for socks and underwear though. I know it's more expensive but forum sponsor uniformla has great tees for just under $50.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To expand on this I'd upgrade to the craft version of AF1, the leather quality is much better.

I was never really a big fan of Uniqlo tees. They're great for socks and underwear though. I know it's more expensive but forum sponsor uniformla has great tees for just under $50.

I’d you’re already spending close to 50$ I would just spend the extra 5-10$ and buy lady white co. Best tees out there

Rookoobay

Reaction score
I keep trying with Lady White but the fit just isn't right, even after sizing up. Paa works a lot better for me as far as MiUSA basics go

gnu

Reaction score
Black Alden Loafers.

Alden 987 Shell LHS or Scotch Grain Ithaca LHS from The Armoury

Plan to wear these mostly to work but wondering which one would be better casually with denim. I love my 986s and wear them a lot, but I'm wondering if the black shell would be a bit much casually.

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 44
  • Grain.jpg
    Grain.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 39

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black Alden Loafers.

Plan to wear these mostly to work but wondering which one would be better casually with denim. I love my 986s and wear them a lot, but I'm wondering if the black shell would be a bit much casually.

Personally not a fan of black shell. I realize the same can probably be said of brown shell, but black shell really looks like corrected grain/ plastic to me. Although I like brown shell ...

Between those two, I prefer The Armoury's version.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d you’re already spending close to 50$ I would just spend the extra 5-10$ and buy lady white co. Best tees out there
I keep trying with Lady White but the fit just isn't right, even after sizing up. Paa works a lot better for me as far as MiUSA basics go
What is sizing like on Lady White T’s?

MeatFish

Reaction score
Black Alden Loafers.

Not sure what your style usually leans towards, but I personally see black shell working better in a streetwear sense with things like jp americana/workwear or more Fashiony brands. The Armoury version would work well with more conventionally ivy and CM-ish casual

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Alden Loafers.

I like the black shell. I plan on getting them in the future and wearing them with resolute or Orslow denim with a small cuff.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too slim in chest and shoulders in my experience (clark pocket and lady white tees). the rugby shirt has a wider fit but it's still off for me.
It stretches. I have a 42” chest and broad shoulders and I wear medium and it stretches perfectly. I hand wash and air dry though. They shrink if wash in machine.

I take medium in the 2 pack (our tshirt), lite , and rugby short/long sleeve

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads