• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how all the jackets fit. Agree most meh about barena pants, but still not bad- diaper butt is a look, and can be embraced

i don’t “hate” them, but I don’t necessarily enjoy wearing them either. Only reason would be to match the jacket. I’ll probably just sell them. I am not a fan of drop crotch, and also the taper.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking, I just wasn't 100% sure the more stylized look of the jacket would mesh well with workwear staples. Where are the boots you posted from, by the way? I've been looking for a low-key pair of black boots and those look similar to what I want.

They're from Pretziada, supposedly modeled after something shepherds wear.

I will warn you: they're an absolute bear to put on. Basically, the boots are designed in such a way that the facings overlap, and then the tongue folds down. I think they look great when worn because of this design. But the design also makes it hard to easily open the throat of the boot enough to get your foot in. It's not impossible (obviously), but it takes a bit more effort. The design also doesn't have speed hooks.

I like mine, but don't wear them very often because of this reason. Now I just mostly wear Blundstone 500s in all black for a similar vibe and silhouette. If you get the Pretziada boots, ask them to ship them with the extra long laces. Since you have to open up the facings so much, having extra long laces can help make sure you don't have to relace the boots when tightening them.

The Blundstones below, which are infinitely easier to slip on,

a952b0dc-6154-493a-8a39-74e4960a80f2.jpeg

Whoa @dieworkwear new avatar! Tell us more!

Just a drawing someone did for me based on my old avatar.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear that just like a chore coat. Would do that with a chunky cream sweater, some faded raw denim blue jeans, and then almost any kind of casual shoe -- Paraboot Tyroleans, some brown field boots, or white sneakers

View attachment 1560764 View attachment 1560765 View attachment 1560766 View attachment 1560768 View attachment 1560769
If you look at the photos of how the jacket drapes on their site, you'll see it has a very contemporary Issey Miyake pleats or neoprene type of drape to it. I think it might be a bit tougher to style if your comfort zone, like mine, is more in the realm of fun* riffs on "classic" (i.e. military, workwear, Americana, casual suiting, etc.) looks.

EDIT: *should perhaps say "aspiring to fun but ending up looking funny"

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you look at the photos of how the jacket drapes on their site, you'll see it has a very contemporary Issey Miyake pleats or neoprene type of drape to it. I think it might be a bit tougher to style if your comfort zone, like mine, is more in the realm of fun* riffs on "classic" (i.e. military, workwear, Americana, casual suiting, etc.) looks.

Oh whoops, yea. If it's like Issey Miyake pleats or something, then that outfit I suggested prob won't work.

mangocheese

Reaction score

Oh whoops, yea. If it's like Issey Miyake pleats or something, then that outfit I suggested prob won't work.

I wear a lot of contemporary, fabric-focused, workwear-adjacent brands (think Evan Kinori, Auralee). I chose the cotton Man-tle jacket (as opposed to their pinkish nylon one) because I think it'll end up being something between Miyake pleats, a liner jacket, and a corduroy jacket; when I emailed them, they said the fabric feel is most like a liner. I don't like wearing milsurp but I appreciate the kind of crinkly look of those liner jackets, so I'm hoping to wear this as a modernized, fun alternative.

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger, so I'll see about posting a fit whenever it arrives.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a lot of contemporary, fabric-focused, workwear-adjacent brands (think Evan Kinori, Auralee). I chose the cotton Man-tle jacket (as opposed to their pinkish nylon one) because I think it'll end up being something between Miyake pleats, a liner jacket, and a corduroy jacket; when I emailed them, they said the fabric feel is most like a liner. I don't like wearing milsurp but I appreciate the kind of crinkly look of those liner jackets, so I'm hoping to wear this as a modernized, fun alternative.

Anyway, I just pulled the trigger, so I'll see about posting a fit whenever it arrives.

Seems like it’d work well in that context, depending on the pieces in question. It’s more Auralee (luxe, contemporary take on classic pieces) than it is Evan Kinori (French modernist take on old French clothes).

mangocheese

Reaction score
Seems like it’d work well in that context, depending on the pieces in question. It’s more Auralee (luxe, contemporary take on classic pieces) than it is Evan Kinori (French modernist take on old French clothes).

There seems to be a shared modernist, slow-workwear DNA behind EK and Man-tle, so fingers crossed I'll get some coherent + unique fits off. I definitely see your point about Man-tle being considerably more experimental with its fabrics and silhouettes though.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a new pair of boots to wear with jeans

yuketen:
B0167AE2-12C3-42D2-B2A6-82E321F670FD.png DDF3EC7D-4C0C-4D5A-B51B-3AE00D4AD693.png 45ED80FA-E2D8-4F5C-AE47-07B0EF537A4A.png

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of Floyds and they're great. I can wear them with jeans or with a suit and everything in between.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good choices. The Yuketens seem a bit more specific. I would probably go for either of the Butteros since they may be able to work with a wider range of denim related fits.
Which color Floyd’s?

would like to wear with slim or slim-straight denim

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads