• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

kaizerpi

Reaction score
1613859465930.png

Not really expecting to back to the office anytime soon but I don't actually own a navy blazer (have a brown check sportcoat from ring jacket, a suit supply sportcoat in a navy birdseye) and this fabric felt pretty amazing in person. I expect that when vaccinations hit a higher threshold and people are going back to the office, there's going to be load of opportunities to get a navy blazer and/or try on others (NMWA x Sartoria Carrera is very interesting to me)

Or do I get something more casual/practical for the remaining time working from home like a shirt jacket ('shacket' sounds vulgar...sorta like 'phygital') or a blouson?

1613859754016.png
1613859798627.png

I love you guys, literally you have been the two biggest influences on my fashion journey so far… but I disagree on this one! Maybe you had to be there.

FWIW, I got that same jacket and suspect we're similar sizes and it seemed sorta loose to start with, but I think its more because I wasn't used to that type of silhouette/fit. I'm really liking it now though and it's been the only outerwear I've worn this winter.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1559295
Not really expecting to back to the office anytime soon but I don't actually own a navy blazer (have a brown check sportcoat from ring jacket, a suit supply sportcoat in a navy birdseye) and this fabric felt pretty amazing in person. I expect that when vaccinations hit a higher threshold and people are going back to the office, there's going to be load of opportunities to get a navy blazer and/or try on others (NMWA x Sartoria Carrera is very interesting to me)

Or do I get something more casual/practical for the remaining time working from home like a shirt jacket ('shacket' sounds vulgar...sorta like 'phygital') or a blouson?

View attachment 1559296 View attachment 1559298

FWIW, I got that same jacket and suspect we're similar sizes and it seemed sorta loose to start with, but I think its more because I wasn't used to that type of silhouette/fit. I'm really liking it now though and it's been the only outerwear I've worn this winter.
If you are looking for a navy sport coat to get you through many different occasions, I don’t think this one is it.

I would prefer something other than a hard 3 button; don’t care for the flapped patch pockets. Get a 2 button or 3r2 and either 3 patch pockets or 2 hip patch and a welted breast pocket. I think these configurations will carry you through different settings and never look dated.

As for the other options, I would skip the blouson. It looks unremarkable; just another jacket to add to the pile.

The shirt jacket looks more interesting. Only you can decide if it fits into your wardrobe and if you will wear it.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I love you guys, literally you have been the two biggest influences on my fashion journey so far… but I disagree on this one! Maybe you had to be there.

you will regret disagreeing a year later

abkain

Reaction score
am looking at some vintage Native American silversmithing belts (Foothills).
Can you please advise on where you are looking to buy FoothillsCa belts? I believe Union LA sells like one (non-belt buckle) item and I can’t seem to find anything else online. Been looking for a Native American styled belt/belt buckle as well as a hand-tooled leather belt (like the one from Wythe) with little success. TIA!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you please advise on where you are looking to buy FoothillsCa belts? I believe Union LA sells like one (non-belt buckle) item and I can’t seem to find anything else online. Been looking for a Native American styled belt/belt buckle as well as a hand-tooled leather belt (like the one from Wythe) with little success. TIA!

Try DMing them.

They're about to set up a webshop this spring. That will have the full stock.

abkain

Reaction score
Do you know if Foothills makes belts for RRL? There is a buckle style or two that look familiar.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you know if Foothills makes belts for RRL? There is a buckle style or two that look familiar.

They don't actually make belts, they find vintage items and restore them. In the past, they've sold vintage belts to Ralph Lauren, which end up in stores. If you visit an RRL shop and see a very expensive vintage belt, it may have come from Foothills. But RRL also makes repro items. Those are not from Foothills.

abkain

Reaction score
They don't actually make belts, they find vintage items and restore them. In the past, they've sold vintage belts to Ralph Lauren, which end up in stores. If you visit an RRL shop and see a very expensive vintage belt, it may have come from Foothills. But RRL also makes repro items. Those are not from Foothills.
Got it - thanks. Yes, I think I am recalling a $1000+ belt buckle at the RRL store in LA from their vintage selection.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
View attachment 1559295

View attachment 1559296 View attachment 1559298

Beige shirt jacket would be my choice. TBH I feel most dudes that haven't felt the need for a navy blazer usually don't really need one and just read that in GQ/the internutz/whatever. If you're the kind of dude that wears jackets to go to the pub or whatever then yeah get the navy blazer. I own one (?) myself but I often wear jackets....

Maybe get like a cord jacket as a compromise?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don’t have a navy blazer ??‍♂️

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads