• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd seen this kind of fabric on any man under 40 (igents aside) before it became a thing but ok, we have always worn this and it will always be popular, I bet the Greeks swathed themselves in hounds tooth togas. I hear Spartans went to war cause their itchy togas made them super aggressive.

This **** is trendy guys, what can say. It still looks good but on young men it is a trend, it will stop at some point.

Wait, 40 is old now? I thought 40 was the new 20.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I personally don't like the way raw denim fades with washing. It gets weird splotchyness and streak lines. I like the way it looks from fading along natural folds and high abrasion areas.
Idk man. I prefer "vintage fades" more than the high-contrast stuff you see from people who don't wash their jeans. We may disagree on this and you are free to like the high-contrast effect, but here's an example to make sure we are talking about the same thing:

Vintage fadeHigh contrast
efXsfn1.jpeg
1611784074014.png

I'm not sure about your longevity claim as most denim experts would say otherwise.
See this article or this other article. Plenty of examples of experts who tell you to wash your jeans.

I don't know what you are on about regarding historical periods as that doesn't seem relevant to this discussion
A quote from the second article I linked explains it well:
“If you want your denim to age in a natural and vintage fashion,” Babzani says, “then you should treat them how they were treated in the forties and fifties. They were worn regularly, and then washed regularly.”

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash my stuff once like every 10 wears in the winter and every 4-5 wears in the summer. I don't like high contrast fades. I can't understand them at all, it makes the jeans look like some **** straight from Buckle (does that mall store still exist?).

Also swamp ass is no good for jeans. No one wants that.

Hounds tooth is probably one of the materials I see the most in the thrifts. It was also part of my school uniform in Mexico. Saying hounds tooth is trendy is like saying cotton twill is trendy.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk man. I prefer "vintage fades" more than the high-contrast stuff you see from people who don't wash their jeans. We may disagree on this and you are free to like the high-contrast effect, but here's an example to make sure we are talking about the same thing:

Vintage fadeHigh contrast
efXsfn1.jpeg
View attachment 1544149

See this article or this other article. Plenty of examples of experts who tell you to wash your jeans.

A quote from the second article I linked explains it well:

Well, I guess there are no real experts then as you can find hundreds of articles and menswear stores giving you the exact opposite advice so I guess to each their own.

I think both pairs of jeans you posted are hideous. The one on the left has that splotchyness that I hate from either over-washing or not using true indigo which looks like crap when it fades IMO. The one on the right is an extreme example of what looks like someone NEVER washing their jeans and just living in them for two years--which I also don't recommend.

I'm sure some people don't wash their jeans as they think it makes them "vintage". I guess the act of wearing jeans can be considered vintage as most of us are keyboard warriors and not actually working in an environment where work gear is needed (I type that while wearing White's boots, PBJ super rough jeans, and a Eapulet work jacket so I too am an offender as I perform my day job in technology).

I hate the fake mall fades that "fashion" brands do. They seem inauthentic to me. I also hate fake boobs, lip jobs etc. but that is just me. As far as "vintage" goes, I can assure you that your $300-$600 Japanese jeans are nothing like workwear from times past. Jeans from the 40s were not made using organic Sea Island cotton picked by Tibetan monks and hand spun by Vestal Virgins to be sewn by a Japanese master craftsman using a line-caught whale bone that has been in the family for generations. Japanese denim is nice for the sake of being nice and being able to wear something that your neighbor isn't wearing as it will never be on sale at your local mall. Anyone who thinks $600 jeans are vintage is delusional.

I like when jeans wear in to your body and natural bend points and have some fade. Chatter from low tension looms, nice hardware, quality stitching, and other details are just frosting on top. If I washed my jeans after every use, I might as well just buy them at Target because that is what they will look like after a couple months. Obviously, there is proper washing thechniques that help prolong their life (since they are an investment) just like there are proper techniques for taking care of nice leather jackets, shoes, boots etc.

martinezviola29

Reaction score
i have too many ****-ass purchases, bought cause it was 60% off.

yea I find in the long run I save $ by buying what I really want at full price, passing up what seems like a good bargain at 50+% off on stuff I never get to wearing, and only buying on sale what I wanted at full price that I couldnt purchase at the time

Exactly what's happening to me every single time I shop. You think you have saved $ because of the discount, think again.

-- Hengwin Case Website

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Well, I guess there are no real experts then
It's okay for different experts to have different opinions… you'd be hard pressed to find a field (especially in the arts and crafts) where all the experts agree on something!

Different people are in it for different kicks. If you got into denim thanks to a specific historical period then you'd look for reproductions of that period and probably try and wear the jeans like they did. Some Japanese companies go to great lengths to exactly reproduce the fabric of a specific Levi's jean from way back then and often end up making an even better product than the original. The fact that these products are not the real thing and are thus not vintage isn't lost on anyone, not on the consumers, and especially not on the people spending hundreds of hours sourcing vintage samples, fine-tuning their looms, fabrics, and cuts to create the best possible repro.

If you are in it because you like the craftsmanship behind it and like luxury items, you'd probably go about it a different way, buying different brands and taking care of them in specific ways. It doesn't mean that the other sides like "hideous" things they might as well buy at Target, or sure as hell doesn't make them "delusional". You sound weirdly offended and I can't figure out what elicited this reaction.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess there are no real experts then as you can find hundreds of articles and menswear stores giving you the exact opposite advice so I guess to each their own.

I think both pairs of jeans you posted are hideous. The one on the left has that splotchyness that I hate from either over-washing or not using true indigo which looks like crap when it fades IMO. The one on the right is an extreme example of what looks like someone NEVER washing their jeans and just living in them for two years--which I also don't recommend.

I'm sure some people don't wash their jeans as they think it makes them "vintage". I guess the act of wearing jeans can be considered vintage as most of us are keyboard warriors and not actually working in an environment where work gear is needed (I type that while wearing White's boots, PBJ super rough jeans, and a Eapulet work jacket so I too am an offender as I perform my day job in technology).

I hate the fake mall fades that "fashion" brands do. They seem inauthentic to me. I also hate fake boobs, lip jobs etc. but that is just me. As far as "vintage" goes, I can assure you that your $300-$600 Japanese jeans are nothing like workwear from times past. Jeans from the 40s were not made using organic Sea Island cotton picked by Tibetan monks and hand spun by Vestal Virgins to be sewn by a Japanese master craftsman using a line-caught whale bone that has been in the family for generations. Japanese denim is nice for the sake of being nice and being able to wear something that your neighbor isn't wearing as it will never be on sale at your local mall. Anyone who thinks $600 jeans are vintage is delusional.

I like when jeans wear in to your body and natural bend points and have some fade. Chatter from low tension looms, nice hardware, quality stitching, and other details are just frosting on top. If I washed my jeans after every use, I might as well just buy them at Target because that is what they will look like after a couple months. Obviously, there is proper washing thechniques that help prolong their life (since they are an investment) just like there are proper techniques for taking care of nice leather jackets, shoes, boots etc.

You sound weirdly salty about washing jeans. Most of that “don’t wash your jeans at all and freeze them instead” nonsense has long died out. Wash it when it stinks. No one thinks 600 dollar jeans are vintage for the virtue of being 600 dollars, unless you buy vintage jeans for 600 dollars I guess. The vintage look comment is that it looks like examples from the past, when people worked in their ****, their partner would inevitably force them to wash it often. Hell I feel like the vintage jean with the most contrasting fades were probably from single guys who were too tired/lazy to wash often.

If someone wants light fades, or high contrast fades, neither is hideous, it’s their choice. If they like the details/feel, and want it to be splotchy, bleached, washed out, it’s really up to them. Talking about authenticity and the right care **** sounds like talking points from 2010 #menswear bloggers. No one is delusional here.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sound weirdly salty about washing jeans. Most of that “don’t wash your jeans at all and freeze them instead” nonsense has long died out. Wash it when it stinks. No one thinks 600 dollar jeans are vintage for the virtue of being 600 dollars, unless you buy vintage jeans for 600 dollars I guess. The vintage look comment is that it looks like examples from the past, when people worked in their ****, their partner would inevitably force them to wash it often. Hell I feel like the vintage jean with the most contrasting fades were probably from single guys who were too tired/lazy to wash often.

If someone wants light fades, or high contrast fades, neither is hideous, it’s their choice. If they like the details/feel, and want it to be splotchy, bleached, washed out, it’s really up to them. Talking about authenticity and the right care **** sounds like talking points from 2010 #menswear bloggers. No one is delusional here.

Or if someone fears washing their jeans lest they can't get back into them because they've eaten too many COVID snacks and only order takeout.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

"can't wait to see how these jeans age!"

*jeans age*

"no not like that"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads