• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely do not size down

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I got this coat the other day. I wanted a roomier coat with raglan sleeves (a balmacaan I guess) and I’m happy with the fit but I took some pictures and there’s a noticeable collar gap. I have to say that I tried it again afterwards and it’s not as noticeable as in these pics (must have had it pushed to the back plus head tilted to take the pic).

Should I try to size down? I think I could, but other than the collar I think it’s how I wanted this to fit.

View attachment 1543760 View attachment 1543761

Doesn't suit you, droopy shoulders look sad and fit is too tight. Try a size up and if it doesn't look great pick another coat/model. BTW this fabric is very of the moment because of Balenciaga, if you don't absolutely love it, want to be edgynow or you're into trad clothing and have no idea who that Balance Jaeger is you might want to switch to something else.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to decide what to do with my The Flat Head Type II 6002W 3XXX denim jacket. It fits me perfectly and I love type IIIs, but It's fading fast with very high contrast which I don't like. I prefer more of a vintage, lower-contrast fade. Why did I buy a denim jacket that notoriously fades fast/high contrast? Of course because I got a good deal on grailed.

At this point I think I can either:
  1. Try and sell it for about the same price I paid.
  2. Keep it and embrace the 2010 vibes.
  3. Try to wash it a lot, maybe with a drop of bleach to lighten up the "base" color? Maybe start putting it in the dryer? Does anyone have experience with either?
I'm reluctant to let it go knowing the company has folded. I think TFH will be "future vintage". But I'm also hesitant to keep it knowing it will only look worse to me.

This looks nice to me:This looks very ugly to me:
View attachment 1541007 View attachment 1541009

Why are you washing it? That is where the weird fading is coming in.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way you should size down. I would even recommend you to try a size up. That collar gap is no bueno... Also, the sleeves are a biiiit short for that kind of coat imho.
Fit looks small to begin with. Don’t go down a size.
Definitely do not size down
Doesn't suit you, droopy shoulders look sad and fit is too tight. Try a size up and if it doesn't look great pick another coat/model. BTW this fabric is very of the moment because of Balenciaga, if you don't absolutely love it, want to be edgynow or you're into trad clothing and have no idea who that Balance Jaeger is you might want to switch to something else.

Thanks everyone. Message received, I won't size down.

Is it houndstooth tweed in general trendy because of Balenciaga? Or just in this particular colour?

In any case I don't think I've seen a single coat all winter with this particular pattern/colour where I live so I'm willing to take the risk of looking "edgy" in the eyes of a select few. I guess if someone lives in San Francisco might have to worry about that sort of thing but not here. I knew I wanted a coat with raglan sleeves in wool, but plain flannel is too plain/boring to me and I'm not the biggest fan of herringbone and plaids.

FWIW I arrived at this coat because this Beams+ caught my eye. But it's a) too short and b) more expensive than I'm willing to spend (€769 at End, the only retailer I found in the EU), then I saw this Sandro one which I know is not a SF-approved brand but I find it good value when on sale, at least for outerwear (only have coats and jackets from them); this was 2 hundred something euro, 100% wool and made in a EU country, Romania I think it was (their leather jackets are made in Turkey though, not EU but I guess a step up from South Asia when it comes to workers rights, or maybe not so much?) and this is the first item from them where I've had a fit issue.

I also came across this @dieworkwear post when I was looking for a coat with raglan sleeves. I think this is the closest from that post when it comes to fabric pattern/colour to the one I'm wearing in the pics (though I'll never be this cool and I'm sure this guy was wearing it before Balenciaga made it trendy, and his coat is I'm sure 100x better in all regards):

61a58376efaf04fc15bf9f6747f81db644b70729.jpg

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about that Balenciaga référence. @Fuuma hangs with cool fashion royalty in Paris and sees it through that lens but for the 99% of us out there who never look at Vogue runway, that fabric is just an uber classic checked tweed that is very much consistent with a balmacaan coat. This version though feels a little small on you - and if you like the coat on that guy on the bike, go up a size or two (even if that means altering sleeves)

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Why are you washing it? That is where the weird fading is coming in.
Hygiene?

Washing denim also improves its longevity, while not washing is going to give *higher* contrast fades. Moreover, whatever historical period/figure you are trying to summon through raw denim, chances are they washed their clothes.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hygiene?

Washing denim also improves its longevity, while not washing is going to give *higher* contrast fades. Moreover, whatever historical period/figure you are trying to summon through raw denim, chances are they washed their clothes.

I don't know what you are on about regarding historical periods as that doesn't seem relevant to this discussion but I personally don't like the way raw denim fades with washing. It gets weird splotchyness and streak lines. I like the way it looks from fading along natural folds and high abrasion areas. I'm not sure about your longevity claim as most denim experts would say otherwise. As far as hygiene goes, there are plenty of hygienic options. Also, I'm not sure what you are going in a denim jacket that requires an antimicrobial. I tend to wear shirts under mine which are easy to wash.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about that Balenciaga référence. @Fuuma hangs with cool fashion royalty in Paris and sees it through that lens but for the 99% of us out there who never look at Vogue runway, that fabric is just an uber classic checked tweed that is very much consistent with a balmacaan coat. This version though feels a little small on you - and if you like the coat on that guy on the bike, go up a size or two (even if that means altering sleeves)

I'm not saying most people will associate it with Balenciaga but it is def very present (probably lots of stuff at H&M, Zara etc) I think I even saw it at Uniqlo. @MickeyPunch mentioned Sandro which also tends to borrow extremely heavily from popular high fashion brands.

BTW I saw this less than 5 minutes after posting in this thread (I follow zero fashion brands AFAIK):
Houndstooth (1).jpg

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not saying most people will associate it with Balenciaga but it is def very present (probably lots of stuff at H&M, Zara etc) I think I even saw it at Uniqlo.

BTW I saw this less than 5 minutes after posting in this thread (I follow zero fashion brands AFAIK):

^ That's just a brown houndstooth tweed? It's even more generic than the coat fabric posted earlier.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the twilight zone? Super generic tweed and jacketing fabrics.

Treble

Reaction score
Private White VC have done nice Balmacaan's in a similar fabric. Made in UK and nicely detailed.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hygiene?

Handwashing on a rusty old washboard is the real old school way to get those sick westerny fades, with some added rust patina.

s-l300.jpg

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I don't think I'd seen this kind of fabric on any man under 40 (igents aside) before it became a thing but ok, we have always worn this and it will always be popular, I bet the Greeks swathed themselves in hounds tooth togas. I hear Spartans went to war cause their itchy togas made them super aggressive.

This **** is trendy guys, what can say. It still looks good but on young men it is a trend, it will stop at some point.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think I'd seen this kind of fabric on any man under 40 (igents aside) before it became a thing but ok, we have always worn this and it will always be popular, I bet the Greeks swathed themselves in hounds tooth togas. I hear Spartans went to war cause their itchy togas made them super aggressive.

This **** is trendy guys, what can say. It still looks good but on young men it is a trend, it will stop at some point.

I think every tweed mill has a version of a houndstooth tweed. Houndstooth is just a variation of twill, one of the two most common weaves (plain and twill). In a basic color like brown, I think it's probably one of the most classic patterns out there.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah but when it stops you'll be old and can keep wearing it as a fashionable old dude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics