• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that it's longer than the current Gloverall etc versions (not sure how they compare price wise). Personally not a fan of hood on coats but it appears to be removable here so that's a plus for versatility (not sure about the studded hood visually though).
Old Joe seems like a cool brand, lookbooks are always great

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Ended up buying the Buzz and its great, highly recommended if anyone wants an ideal sweatshirt.
This was a close second

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BrewHat_AlienFriends_1_2000x.png

It's on sale and I want to get it in hopes I'll be able to go to a music festival again some day...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Filson tote in a wild blue (i have it in black and gray, great). Or just obnoxious?

Filson---Tote-Bag-w-Zipper---Flag-Blue-LTD-EDITION-123.jpg

I have several pieces of clothing and furniture with a shade close to this so I certainly hope it isn't obnoxious. I find royal blue and Klein blue not to be a problem but electric blue is more flashy, this bag should be fine unless my screen is deceiving me. Would look great worn with brown cord garments or something like that.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Filson tote in a wild blue (i have it in black and gray, great). Or just obnoxious?

Filson---Tote-Bag-w-Zipper---Flag-Blue-LTD-EDITION-123.jpg

My question may be too pragmatic, but do you *need* it? Are your other two not accomplishing the purpose you want them to? Are you finding yourself wishing you could reach for a blue bag like this often? Are there any areas of your wardrobe that you're putting off that this money would be better invested in?

That's what I always like asking myself. ESPECIALLY with Filson stuff, which I love.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Looking for more overshirt/Shirt Jacket/Chore Coat type stuff. Need 1-2 ideally in really wearable formats (so definitely not the one in my bio even if I am a sucker for patterns. Thoughts on this (and in need of suggestions like this that don't ship in 4 months, lol) although to me this nails everything I am going for, for a killer price. May be worth the wait. Also - is it weird to wear collared shirts under overshirts/shirt jackets like these? For some reason I never consider this notion with suits or Barbours, but with these, I do.

1611080350930.png

1611080385052.png

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@StaticProgression can't help you too much in finding overshirts but for chore coats you should look at vintage french ones. It's cheaper and better than most new ones today.

Yes, it's weird to wear collared shirts under overshirts imo. It works when there is a difference in weight between the items (both visual and actual) like a jean jacket but not when the weight is too similar.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Have to decide what to do with my The Flat Head Type II 6002W 3XXX denim jacket. It fits me perfectly and I love type IIIs, but It's fading fast with very high contrast which I don't like. I prefer more of a vintage, lower-contrast fade. Why did I buy a denim jacket that notoriously fades fast/high contrast? Of course because I got a good deal on grailed.

At this point I think I can either:
  1. Try and sell it for about the same price I paid.
  2. Keep it and embrace the 2010 vibes.
  3. Try to wash it a lot, maybe with a drop of bleach to lighten up the "base" color? Maybe start putting it in the dryer? Does anyone have experience with either?
I'm reluctant to let it go knowing the company has folded. I think TFH will be "future vintage". But I'm also hesitant to keep it knowing it will only look worse to me.

This looks nice to me:This looks very ugly to me:
1611348770325.png
1611348848990.png

gardenvariety

Reaction score
Have to decide what to do with my The Flat Head Type II 6002W 3XXX denim jacket. It fits me perfectly and I love type IIIs, but It's fading fast with very high contrast which I don't like. I prefer more of a vintage, lower-contrast fade. Why did I buy a denim jacket that notoriously fades fast/high contrast? Of course because I got a good deal on grailed.

At this point I think I can either:
  1. Try and sell it for about the same price I paid.
  2. Keep it and embrace the 2010 vibes.
  3. Try to wash it a lot, maybe with a drop of bleach to lighten up the "base" color? Maybe start putting it in the dryer? Does anyone have experience with either?
I'm reluctant to let it go knowing the company has folded. I think TFH will be "future vintage". But I'm also hesitant to keep it knowing it will only look worse to me.

This looks nice to me:This looks very ugly to me:
View attachment 1541007 View attachment 1541009

2 or 3. If you still aren't sure after another year or two you can always sell it then, if it fits perfectly might as well keep it. I think high contrast fades are awesome!

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Also - is it weird to wear collared shirts under overshirts/shirt jackets like these? For some reason I never consider this notion with suits or Barbours, but with these, I do.
It can be weird if:
  • The inner layer has more weight than the outer layer. Stiffness/ruggedness should be increasing from inside to outside. Think of it as a tree: weather resistant on the outside (bark/hydrophobic), while the inner layers are more pliable and make water move around (sapwood/moisture wicking).
  • The outer layer is clearly meant to be tucked in (longer, curved hems).
  • The inner layer is much longer than the outer layer. This just looks sloppy to me ?
A good example of doing it well from Taylor Stitch (this is The Maritime):
instock_mens_q420_maritime_deep_navy_003.progressive.jpg

StaticProgression

Reaction score
It can be weird if:
  • The inner layer has more weight than the outer layer. Stiffness/ruggedness should be increasing from inside to outside. Think of it as a tree: weather resistant on the outside (bark/hydrophobic), while the inner layers are more pliable and make water move around (sapwood/moisture wicking).
  • The outer layer is clearly meant to be tucked in (longer, curved hems).
  • The inner layer is much longer than the outer layer. This just looks sloppy to me ?
A good example of doing it well from Taylor Stitch (this is The Maritime):
instock_mens_q420_maritime_deep_navy_003.progressive.jpg

that’s helpful thanks! I think I agree. Because I do see people wear BDs like this and it makes sense.

JewishAmericana

Reaction score
If anyone has experience with OrSlow climbing pants, are they good for climbing? Considering picking up a pair for that and hiking

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this coat the other day. I wanted a roomier coat with raglan sleeves (a balmacaan I guess) and I’m happy with the fit but I took some pictures and there’s a noticeable collar gap. I have to say that I tried it again afterwards and it’s not as noticeable as in these pics (must have had it pushed to the back plus head tilted to take the pic).

Should I try to size down? I think I could, but other than the collar I think it’s how I wanted this to fit.

25584087-31BE-4CF1-BFDB-DACBC8B5B4C5.jpeg CA44443E-E12D-430E-90A0-EB7AED322BF7.jpeg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this coat the other day. I wanted a roomier coat with raglan sleeves (a balmacaan I guess) and I’m happy with the fit but I took some pictures and there’s a noticeable collar gap. I have to say that I tried it again afterwards and it’s not as noticeable as in these pics (must have had it pushed to the back plus head tilted to take the pic).

Should I try to size down? I think I could, but other than the collar I think it’s how I wanted this to fit.

View attachment 1543760 View attachment 1543761

No way you should size down. I would even recommend you to try a size up. That collar gap is no bueno... Also, the sleeves are a biiiit short for that kind of coat imho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics