• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got some wonderful Blue Blue Japan sashiko / patchwork pants which are lovely...
Indigo--Sashiko--Hand-Patchwork-Pants-20180418191757.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^I find the pants to very "gimmicky", although I liked the brands entire slow fashion agenda. The slippers are nice, although very specific.
I understand the fatigue with patchwork in general (although I still like a lot of what we see out there when buying), but I'd say that this particular collection is some of the least "gimmicky" of all the patchwork stuff out there because the patching is actually driven by the idea of recycling leftover pieces of fabrics. It has a true intent and meaning - it's not just a design idea

gardenvariety

Reaction score
Just based on photos I've seen, stoffa's strength has seemed more like soft, well-combined colors and materials -- kind of like cucinelli's chill cousin. This patchwork is a big aesthetic swerve from that. I hope it goes well for them. I personally strongly dislike how it looks, but I'm not a customer so ?‍♂️.

I also have patchwork fatigue (and i'm not talking about owning tactical pants!)

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do I, but in a wider cut. Love 'em.

View attachment 1459665

These are really lovely -- I prefer the wider legged version of these than the other one posted. But very close to my cottle patchwork jeans:

wTBzzWj.jpg
IwUsExV.jpg

So I couldn't really justify them. :) I'm particularly interested in the Stoffa ones because of the kantha fabric. I have 18 easts kantha shorts and they're super nice. Way more comfortable than denim. Definitely a different vibe than patchwork jeans.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cottle ones are about three times as expensive, however... I really can't get past that fact with their stuff. Those jeans are very nice but they aren't Over $1000 Nice.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cottle ones are about three times as expensive, however... I really can't get past that fact with their stuff. Those jeans are very nice but they aren't Over $1000 Nice.

I can't quite speak to pricing, but given the human effort and textile research that goes into making their stuff I can see it. Seems like patchwork from Kapital for example goes even pricier, and I don't think the fabric or construction is nearly as good.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't quite speak to pricing, but given the human effort and textile research that goes into making their stuff I can see it. Seems like patchwork from Kapital for example goes even pricier, and I don't think the fabric or construction is nearly as good.

The point is that we're comparing this to products from people like Blue Blue Japan with similar fabrics, effort and whatever and which may even have more of each. And if you're really claiming that Cottle has done research on denim that no-one else has in the Okayama textile industry, you've having a tin bath - you're just repeating their marketing pitch. There is no real justification for charging $1000 pair of jeans which has basically had some washing, ageing and patching - apart from the fact that some people will both buy it and help the company in hyping it. Now you're perfectly entitled to buy your money, but don't expect everyone else just to accept the hype.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is that we're comparing this to products from people like Blue Blue Japan with similar fabrics, effort and whatever and which may even have more of each. And if you're really claiming that Cottle has done research on denim that no-one else has in the Okayama textile industry, you've having a tin bath - you're just repeating their marketing pitch. There is no real justification for charging $1000 pair of jeans which has basically had some washing, ageing and patching - apart from the fact that some people will both buy it and help the company in hyping it. Now you're perfectly entitled to buy your money, but don't expect everyone else just to accept the hype.

Well to be honest I'm not as familiar with BBJ but they seem like a much larger operation. I'm not sure how much they actually go into actually developing the textiles they use. It seems like Cottle did actually put quite a lot of time and effort into developing their own denim fabric, as opposed to using something put out by another mill. Not asking anyone to buy into the hype -- they have pretty different aesthetics anyways.

And anyways I wasn't talking about buying the cottle jeans, but rather the stoffa kantha patchwork. Was just saying the BBJ ones are close enough to my cottle jeans I wouldn't be able to justify both. Whereas I think the cottle vs. stoffa are different enough they wouldn't be competing for wears.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All these patchwork jeans and pants are pretty ugly so this argument is a non starter. They can be tastefully done but these aren't it.

@Patek Those shirts suck. Based on your latest WAYWT would look out of place in your wardrobe I think. But who cares what I think. Buy it and get a pic up, I'm in for a good chuckle.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All these patchwork jeans and pants are pretty ugly so this argument is a non starter.

Your loss!

And for the record, I really like Cottle stuff and if someone gave some to me, or I could get it at, say, 1/3 of the original price, I would certainly be wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads