• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But not ties, I think, that you can in general express *by wearing the brand*. There are obviously exceptions (steel-toed Docs with white ladder lacing, or whatever) but someone wearing a baseball or football team's gear will be taken as thereby expressing their fandom of the team, even if they aren't fans. And that general social background means that you can express that aspect of your social identity by wearing them.

In contrast, "guy who likes talking about rare Polo" not only is not a social identity you can express by wearing rare Polo or anything else, it is arguably not a social identity at all.

Lets just say the rare Polo guy is a small subset of a minority that is SF. I doubt we could fill a football stadium with all the SF members and the "rare Polo" section would be section F, row 13 and 14.

Football fans, on the other hand...

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I was leaving Farley's coffee in Potrero. As I walked out the door, a man ran after me to ask me where I got my 986s resoled with a natural edge because he too wanted to get that done. I gave the info of my cobbler in the South Bay (Jesse), and we chatted for a bit. Really great dude, also into similar clothing.

I think it's silly to compare clothing brands to sports franchises, they're different things and it's obvious they represent different things outwardly. But I do think it's obtuse to not understand that Polo symbolizes a preppy cultural movement to many people, or that streetwear has its extremely rich link to the world.

I don't really care about virtue signaling, but we might as well be talking about band shirts too. Same inane comparisons.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This debate seems pretty passionate. Maybe we should have logo'd caps representing our positions?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This may have you covered:

1597267094253.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now a guy in Paris is wearing a St Louis Cardinals cap because he doesn't want to wear the wrong hat.

vespertiliovir

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of taking away from the hat talk... does anyone have thoughts on the lucchesse Jonah side zip? I like the shape and low heel, plus there is a hometown connection (I was raised in San Antonio where the brand was started). But the price is pretty steep. So I’m wondering if I’d be better of with something cheaper like buttero Floyd, or if I should spend the same amount on bibergs or something else that’s probably better constructed.

Last edited:

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of taking away from the hat talk... does anyone have thoughts on the lucchesse Jonah side zip? I like the shape and low heel, plus there is a hometown connection (I was raised in San Antonio where the brand was started). But the price is pretty steep. So I’m wondering if I’d be better of with something cheaper like buttero Floyd, or if I should spend the same amount on bibergs or something else that’s probably better constructed.

paging @troika who might be able to help as i believe he's got pairs of both the jonahs and floyds and might speak to the differences

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The suede ones are well constructed, but I find them a bit too pointy. If you like roper shapes, however, they're good. I find I never wear mine.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up @kjb. Yes, I did have them both, and here they are:

butterolucchesereddit-17-jpg.1038878

As Derek said, the Jonah's are a bit more pointy (barely). Ultimately, IMO, they are not worth the price. I got mine for half price, and sold them cuz I never wore them either. The color was good, and they were reasonably comfortable, but I just found myself wearing Floyds so much more. The suede felt really meh, and I can't imagine how the smooth leather feels (ugh). The construction was just OK, and they felt quite stiff overall.

The biggest differences between the pairs are the heel height (Jonahs being taller - noticeably), the lining (my Floyds are unlined), and the sole (Jonah sole is visible, and Floyds are cut closer to the body). I'd say the quality was the same, Buttero is excellent in my experience.

People love their Jonahs, which is fair since they're *cool*, I just don't know if the allure is worth it. Are Vibergs better? I dunno, maybe? Are Floyds peak sand suede side zip? Absolutely.

vespertiliovir

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Super helpful. Unfortunately looks like I’m back where I started — on the hunt for sand suede floyds size 40 :brick: there are 40s in “sienna” suede on sale on the buttero site but I think the color is a little too warm and rich, maybe something closer to what I’m after will come for f/w...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads