• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between wearing the logo of a sports team vs a brand?

Supporting a sports team (and displaying that support with apparel) is about comradery. I don’t think there are any institutions that unite people across class/race/background like a common rooting interest in sports. You’re a member of a tribe.

I don’t think wearing the logo of a corporate entity brings with it the same emotional and interpersonal connection. I was serious up above when I said I’ve never seen anyone high five anyone because they’re wearing a polo or Patagonia logo. But I’ve been high fived and acknowledged by strangers in random places all over the world because I have a baseball or football team’s hat on.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brand only represents itself.

How is this even remotely true for major brands with history? In particular prep, heritage, and streetwear?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Supporting a sports team (and displaying that support with apparel) is about comradery. I don’t think there are any institutions that unite people across class/race/background like a common rooting interest in sports. You’re a member of a tribe.

I don’t think wearing the logo of a corporate entity brings with it the same emotional and interpersonal connection. I was serious up above when I said I’ve never seen anyone high five anyone because they’re wearing a polo or Patagonia logo. But I’ve been high fived and acknowledged by strangers in random places all over the world because I have a baseball or football team’s hat on.

I suppose? I'm not saying it's bad to wear sports apparel if that's your thing. It just doesn't resonate with me because I don't watch or participate in sports (not saying this in a snobby "I don't like popular culture" kind of way).

Whereas I wear RL logo apparel because I love RL and identify with the brand, having grown up with people in a physical community that also love the brand. Friends of mine collected rare polo. There's a whole dance and music scene around Polo.

Regarding @Kal Varnsen's point above, I can't imagine wearing a sports team baseball cap cause I wouldn't know the first thing about the team if someone asked me a question. I wouldn't mind wearing a cap with my city on it though (or cities I've lived in).

I don't know. I don't think logos are a big deal.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think logos are a big deal.

Come off it, Derek! Given your background and interests, I find it hard to believe that you really think this - it even contradicts what you just said a few sentences before. It's clear you understand that logos can be a massive deal - at least some logos, for some people, at some times and in some places. You know this stuff. So saying things like this is both glib and simply wrong.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go generic sports team!

In all seriousness, I wear a bunch of my University's logo apparel as a way of supporting them financially and because it you get head nod and university catch phrases thrown at you. I actually think got hired in my current job due to the hiring manager being a graduate of the same school. I have never had anyone approach me about a brand. I tend not to wear external brands but people in the know still know. Nor do I think I would feel compelled to start a conversation with someone wearing a pair of White's boots, for instance.

Kal Varnsen

Reaction score
How is this even remotely true for major brands with history? In particular prep, heritage, and streetwear?

I'm not sure what one thing has to do with the other. Polo might have a long history, but you're still a walking advertisement when you wear a shirt with the little logo on it. I suppose that's also true of sports logos, but sports logos can also indicate where the person is from, and depending on where you wear it, can be seen as a provocation.

Kal Varnsen

Reaction score
Regarding @Kal Varnsen's point above, I can't imagine wearing a sports team baseball cap cause I wouldn't know the first thing about the team if someone asked me a question. I wouldn't mind wearing a cap with my city on it though (or cities I've lived in).

To be fair, a lot of people wear sports hats just because they like the logo, or color scheme. But there are iconic logos that are immediately identifiable with particular cities.

- The interlocked "NY" of the New York Yankees logo

- The red "B" of the Boston Red Sox logo

- The interlocked "LA" of the Dodgers logo

- The Gothic "D" of the Detroit Tigers logo

There is also one aspect that separates sports logos from clothing brand logos, and that's the inherent rivalry that is built in. You can be a Polo supporter, but you're not going to draw angry glances from Nautica wearers just for wearing something with the horse on it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is also one aspect that separates sports logos from clothing brand logos, and that's the inherent rivalry that is built in. You can be a Polo supporter, but you're not going to draw angry glances from Nautica wearers just for wearing something with the horse on it.

YM Bape tho

Last edited:

faue

Reaction score
To be fair, a lot of people wear sports hats just because they like the logo, or color scheme. But there are iconic logos that are immediately identifiable with particular cities.

- The interlocked "NY" of the New York Yankees logo

- The red "B" of the Boston Red Sox logo

- The interlocked "LA" of the Dodgers logo

- The Gothic "D" of the Detroit Tigers logo

Tribalism is tribalism. Brands, like sports merchandise, are signals for in-group and out-group. Moreover, there are brands that have antagonistic relationships with each other (think Adidas vs. Nike), as well as sports teams that don’t have real rivalries.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
This might not be true of American sports teams, but football clubs in England, Scotland, Europe and South America largely predate the notion of sport as a capitalist endeavour and were, in the early days, literally clubs, of which the fans were members and in some cases owners. Support for ones club is a visceral, highly emotional experience, often acquired from a parent at a very young age. Fans will pour good money after bad following their team around the country or even continent, regardless of how good they are, spending not only money but in some cases the majority of their lives away from their families. There’s a lad who goes to Manchester United who has aa flag that reads “United, Kids, Wife. In that order.“ Whilst it’s largely tongue in cheek and pretty chauvinistic, I do think it’s a signifier off what football means to thousands of largely working class people. And this is without getting into football clubs as a signifier of sectarian division, fans dying in stadium disasters and teams with political affiliations.
On top of all this, people kick the **** out of each every single weekend for no other reason than the team they support, which I don’t think happens very often between people who wear Nike and people that wear Adidas.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On top of all this, people kick the **** out of each every single weekend for no other reason than the team they support, which I don’t think happens very often between people who wear Nike and people that wear Adidas.

I think this describes CM?

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might not be true of American sports teams, but football clubs in England, Scotland, Europe and South America largely predate the notion of sport as a capitalist endeavour and were, in the early days, literally clubs, of which the fans were members and in some cases owners. Support for ones club is a visceral, highly emotional experience, often acquired from a parent at a very young age. Fans will pour good money after bad following their team around the country or even continent, regardless of how good they are, spending not only money but in some cases the majority of their lives away from their families. There’s a lad who goes to Manchester United who has aa flag that reads “United, Kids, Wife. In that order.“ Whilst it’s largely tongue in cheek and pretty chauvinistic, I do think it’s a signifier off what football means to thousands of largely working class people. And this is without getting into football clubs as a signifier of sectarian division, fans dying in stadium disasters and teams with political affiliations.

this is frankly why i really enjoy being a football fan in america (COYS!). while there are the general rivalries that carry over (arsenal, chelsea, west spam), i think it's fun and like getting up for those big matches, but it comes with none of the investment in those rivalries that you allude to, and frankly shouldn't. while i understand them from a historical and cultural perspective and can respect some of them, i'm not going to fight an arsenal fan and frankly anyone in america that's doing **** like that is verging on cosplaying, it's dumb and unnecessary.

Dadacantona

Reaction score
this is frankly why i really enjoy being a football fan in america (COYS!). while there are the general rivalries that carry over (arsenal, chelsea, west spam), i think it's fun and like getting up for those big matches, but it comes with none of the investment in those rivalries that you allude to, and frankly shouldn't. while i understand them from a historical and cultural perspective and can respect some of them, i'm not going to fight an arsenal fan and frankly anyone in america that's doing **** like that is verging on cosplaying, it's dumb and unnecessary.
I certainly think there’s some truth in the cosplay comment, however I would say I respect anyone that gets up at ungodly hours to watch their team from the other side of the world, and football is better for international fans, I think. As it happens, a daytime TV personality got into a spot of bother today for mocking an Indian Arsenal fan on twitter in a pretty racist way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads