• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Yeah the Etro one is dumb. I still don't know whether to love or hate Etro. But I like Paisley.
Kind of surprised you don't like the 3rd one though (it's also Yuri and Yuri). That colour / pattern combo is pretty appealing to me though i don't know what the sleeve buttons are for.

Do you know anything about Yuri & Yuri? I saw that The Rake has it. But have never seen or heard of it before.

The third one reminds me of the carpet at hotel conventions. Weird personal association. I just feel like I'm looking down at the floor, sipping bad coffee, and waiting around some big doors.

I don't know anything about Yuri. I also noticed the line at The Rake and thought it looked interesting.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha ok, i can see that association.

∏µ®¬¯ø΃∆_258.jpg

I'm more concerned with the fact that I am somehow invested in polos now. Lemaire makes me do weird things.

YoungM

Reaction score
I know this probably isn't exactly the vibe you have in mind, but I want to throw in a positive word for SEH Kelly's polos. I have an oatmeal long-sleeve and it is absolutely one of my favorite garments I own - just beautiful. The cotton cashmere feels unbelievably luxurious without feeling precious, and I love the cut and details. I had to get an XXL special made, but I think you're a bit smaller than I am, so you could probably fit an XL.

I don't have a good standing fit pic so please accept this instead.

IMG_3070.jpg

haha ok, i can see that association.

∏µ®¬¯ø΃∆_258.jpg

I'm more concerned with the fact that I am somehow invested in polos now. Lemaire makes me do weird things.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow that polo looks great. I am a sucker for a textures knit polo. Ikiji makes my favorites, and I have two from Beams I also love.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@YoungM That is nice, but I have something very similar from Tom Ford and another from Loro Piana. If I bought another long sleeve one it would probably one of the Stoffa lounge shirts

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probs not ideal, especially on a light colored loafer

353582-0f68eef4866e3f55663e488ef880abc9.jpg

I had that exact pair (gift from Yuki). I don't think the dirtiness is an issue here, although maybe with light suede. The part that does become an issue is when one side of the heel wears down or, god forbid, you step in an oil patch. Then you'll be like this

giphy.gif

I realize I'm replying to a post concerning an imminent purchase two months later.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want another 1 or 2 knit polos.
I have a Lemaire shirt sleeve and long sleeve from the current season and have been wearing them both a lot, especially the short sleeve.
So I’ve been trying to find something similar for a while.
knit fabric
Ideally a zip placket, or a longer placket or even a full placket.
something with a retro vibe.
I am open to any recs people may have. But so far these are on the short list.

if anybody has experience with any of these or tips for something else please let me know.

so far I’m leaning toward one of the top 2, but not sure I can find the first one in my size.
The Yuri and Yuri ones all look nice (pic 3 - 6) too, I’d never heard of them before so I have no idea what they’re like or what size I would be.

I have the Thom Sweeney (1) and Yuri & Yuri Rallison II (4), in those colors. I like both. The Sweeney I did size L, the Yuri & Yuri a 44 (they run small). I'm more or less a 44" chest for a comfortable fit and am just shy of 6'3". Sweeney has a good length (I want to say 27"), Yuri & Yuri runs a bit short (closer to 26"). I also have a Yuri & Yuri polo-polo that's even shorter. The max size on that shirt is a 44, although Yuri & Yuri carry a 46 for their polos.

In terms of fabric, the "serie" Yuri & Yuri use is a deadstock synthetic manufactured by Mitsubishi. It has a dry, slick hand-feel, is lightweight and dries quickly. I particularly like it with that Rallison because the breaks in the weave allows it to breathe even more. For this same reason, even if the fit's a bit tight, it will stretch a little as it drapes.

I've only handwashed both, but have done so a few times now (with Soak) and haven't so far noted any major shrinkage.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright that’s awesome info. Thanks. I did end up buying the Sweeney.
mill probably get the Kimber at some point too.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this probably isn't exactly the vibe you have in mind, but I want to throw in a positive word for SEH Kelly's polos. I have an oatmeal long-sleeve and it is absolutely one of my favorite garments I own - just beautiful. The cotton cashmere feels unbelievably luxurious without feeling precious, and I love the cut and details. I had to get an XXL special made, but I think you're a bit smaller than I am, so you could probably fit an XL.

I don't have a good standing fit pic so please accept this instead.

View attachment 1432029

Well I went to check out a polo and ended up buying a coat.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had that exact pair (gift from Yuki). I don't think the dirtiness is an issue here, although maybe with light suede. The part that does become an issue is when one side of the heel wears down or, god forbid, you step in an oil patch. Then you'll be like this

giphy.gif

I realize I'm replying to a post concerning an imminent purchase two months later.

what’s the backstory of the gif?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh I see, was more curious about whether there was an actual story behind it since I recall seeing it several years ago. Someone should be held accountable.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This style may not be everyone's cup of tea but someone talk me into buying these trousers:
149971785_o22.jpg

Instead of chickening out and getting a slightly safer design (which also has the bonus of being a wool gabardine rather than a polyester):
149991018_o24.jpg

I'll try. You only live once. Don't think too much and just buy them! ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads