• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a new pair of cheap black jeans. My go-to is Gustin or N&F because I’m confident in my sizing and the fit with them.

I stumbled on these:

$45 (plus shipping) for a Japanese selvedge made in the US? Is there something I’m missing here?

So, jeans came in yesterday along with the two pairs of shorts and the Garth bomber jacket. I needed to get free shipping.

First of all, the presentation on these is better than I have seen with any denim at any price. They come in a beautiful box inside a cotton backpack type bag with waxed cotton laces for straps. Easily a $10 packaging. The jeans themselves claim to be 13 oz although they seem a little lighter than that. I can only compare them to my Japanese jeans from makers like Iron Heart and Strike Gold and they are considerably thinner and lighter. Details, hardware, and stitching are no way as nice as their Japanese counterparts and are in line with US mass manufactured jeans with an MSRP of ~$100 (cheap looking rivets and buttons, no selvidge on the coin pocket, etc.)

The denim it self seems to be good quality. It is a very smooth weave without much texture similar to stuff that Studio D'Artisan puts out--just no way as nice. Will probably not fade into anything interesting. Fit: US sizing for sure. I wear 36 in Japanese sizing and 34 in US vanity sizing and these are US vanity sizing. I tried hot soaking them and it did nothing. The overall cut is good--slim straight but not sure if it will make it over engineer boots. I wish I had gotten the 34 but the sale is no longer active so I guess I'm stuck with these, they fit fine, just need a belt. On a scale of 1-10 on jean quality, I would give these a 4-5 (top end Japanese makers are 8-9 on my made up scale, I would put my RRL straight black around a 6-7). I tried a hot soak and it made no difference.

Since this is my first time buying anything from DexM, let me touch on the shorts and jacket. I would never buy any of this stuff at full price but when on a stacked sale, it is worth a try. The shorts are very nice. Made in China but nice material and cut. I especially like the patch pocket shorts as they have a very traditional British military feel to them and are a nice change from the traditional khaki shorts. I went with 36 and can wear them without falling down without a belt but if they had a 35 it would be perfect. The green ones are also very nice with a little bit of stretch to them. The jacket is slim fitting and a little stiff since it is treated cotton but will probably break in nicely. It is cut short like a leather jacket. Overall, I would be much happier if I had gone with the jeans at 34 at $45 they are a good value.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^
Thanks for the solid review! Not fitting over engineer boots is going to be a deal breaker for me, so I’m happy in that I don’t have any regrets passing on these.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Thanks for the solid review! Not fitting over engineer boots is going to be a deal breaker for me, so I’m happy in that I don’t have any regrets passing on these.

I have been on a conference call all morning so I have not tested them yet. I have a very bulky pair of White's engineer boots that I will try on later and report back.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

They do fit over engineers. At $45 I think they are a great buy. My problem is all my other denim is top tier so I have nothing normal to compare them to.
IMG_20200708_113946118.jpg

SimModa

Reaction score
Looking to get some boots or mocs. Don't know how, why or when but I'm opening up the 'weird' shoe vibes now.

Narrowed it down to 3 models no particular order. Feel free to provide thoughts, suggestions, or even other recommendations.

large_yuketen-brown-type-7-w-crepe-mudguard-1.jpg
large_yuketen-brown-type-7-w-crepe-mudguard.jpg

1) Yuketen Yuk Type 7 Boot (same boot just a different angle)

19522PM+Semi+Handsewn+Maine+Guide+Ox+DB+w+2021,+FO+G+Brown.jpg
19522PM-Semi-Handsewn-Maine-Guide-Ox-DB-w-2021,-FO-Black,-Profile.jpg

2) Yuketen Semi Handsew Maine Guide
14536M+ALL+HANDSEWN+MAINEGUDE+OX+W+2021,+FO+G+BROWN,+PROFILE.png

3) Yuketen All Handsewn Maine Guide

Last edited:

SimModa

Reaction score
Wanted to hear y'alls opinions on some warm weather footwear.
Would Slippers/Mules fulfill a different role in comparison to the Birkenstock inspired sandals? Not opposed to getting either the slipper or mule and a pair of sandals.

1) Viberg Slipper in Anise Calf Suede
Slipper_CF_Stead_Anise_P_1_9f3b3f95-9a65-4eb5-a387-01dbc1373980_1376x928.jpg

2) Viberg Mule in Anise Calf Suede
Slipper_CF_Stead_Anise_P_1_1376x928.jpg

3) Yuketen Arizonian in Black Leather
w2000-2.jpg

4) Yuketen Arizonian in Brown Suede
SAL2-ARIZONIAN-SUEDE-MARRACA.jpg
1332578_6_zoom.jpg

The jute sole is rather interesting. Would like to hear some input on how they compare to Birkenstocks.

I was thinking #3 and #1 would be two versatile options.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SimModa I like #1 the best. I would also consider your lifestyle. I don't like wearing sandals if I have to walk a lot, they're not as comfortable for me.

The jute sole is interesting but I never really cared for the Arizona type sandals.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to hear y'alls opinions on some warm weather footwear.
Would Slippers/Mules fulfill a different role in comparison to the Birkenstock inspired sandals? Not opposed to getting either the slipper or mule and a pair of sandals.

1) Viberg Slipper in Anise Calf Suede
View attachment 1421726
2) Viberg Mule in Anise Calf Suede
View attachment 1421724
3) Yuketen Arizonian in Black Leather
View attachment 1421733
4) Yuketen Arizonian in Brown Suede
View attachment 1421820 View attachment 1421821

The jute sole is rather interesting. Would like to hear some input on how they compare to Birkenstocks.

I was thinking #3 and #1 would be two versatile options.

I have the yuketen Arizonans in the natural color and love them. The jute and crepe are really comfortable. They’ve become my everyday quarantine shoes — great for errands, neighborhood walks, etc.

I’ve been mulling the vibergs, too. Wanted something in place of my Birkenstock Bostons for fits that would look better with less chunky footwear. For me, I’d go with the mules, but only because my narrow heels have made it so that every slip on I have ever tried on slips off my foot when I walk.

takashi78

Reaction score
Been a fan of YY for a long time. So sad the thread here has been dead for so long. Wonder where all the members who used to post in that thread went.
Looking at the "shorts".
Thinking of this since it's not too over the top, even though i know YY is wide and relaxed but i like the pattern.
Bonus this is also a runway look.

Since i live in a tropical country, so will most like pair with plain white or black tshirt or shirt.

What say you guys?

1594623843348.png

SimModa

Reaction score
I have the yuketen Arizonans in the natural color and love them. The jute and crepe are really comfortable. They’ve become my everyday quarantine shoes — great for errands, neighborhood walks, etc.

I’ve been mulling the vibergs, too. Wanted something in place of my Birkenstock Bostons for fits that would look better with less chunky footwear. For me, I’d go with the mules, but only because my narrow heels have made it so that every slip on I have ever tried on slips off my foot when I walk.

How do these Yuketen compare to Birkenstocks comfort wise? They are definitely more interesting to look at. Leaning towards ordering Birkenstocks today to see how that typical style fits my lifestyle in Florida.

I have narrow feet as well. Definitely something I need to consider, something I won't know for sure until I order a pair myself.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do these Yuketen compare to Birkenstocks comfort wise? They are definitely more interesting to look at. Leaning towards ordering Birkenstocks today to see how that typical style fits my lifestyle in Florida.

I have narrow feet as well. Definitely something I need to consider, something I won't know for sure until I order a pair myself.

Birks are firmer but super comfy as they mold to your foot over time and I can wear them all day long. The yuketens feel softer out of the box. Haven’t worn them for more than 30 minutes at a time though.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should i buy this? John varvatos sterling silver necklace. Has a vintage / detressed dog tag look. Almost pulled the trigger ... been looking for a while for a necklace.
500 bucks

Attachments

• C6789A95-8F84-4EB3-8B3C-F800B2FE1198.jpeg
    C6789A95-8F84-4EB3-8B3C-F800B2FE1198.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 38

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads